cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small trailer suggestions

mavapa
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m a couple of steps away from buying a small trailer. I like what I have seen of the T@b 320 and 400, but they are pricey, new or used. Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar type? I want small, preferably narrow and light. I have looked around at several brands, but nothing has jumped out at me. I’m just wondering if I have overlooked anything.
37 REPLIES 37

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
mavapa wrote:
Since I originally posted that I had ordered a Ford Ranger, I have cancelled that order and ordered a Maverick with a 4000 lb towing capacity. If I ever actually get a Maverick I will be limited to pretty small trailers. That almost certainly means a 320 rather than a 400, or a Casita.
You'll need to look for a 16' or 13' Casita. Not enough tow vehicle for a 17', they are tongue heavy. Also Scamps are available in 13' and 16'.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
mavapa wrote:
Since I originally posted that I had ordered a Ford Ranger, I have cancelled that order and ordered a Maverick with a 4000 lb towing capacity. If I ever actually get a Maverick I will be limited to pretty small trailers. That almost certainly means a 320 rather than a 400, or a Casita.

Well, the folks we know with 320’s love them. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. There are a couple different Facebook groups for the T@Bs. Lots of helpful folks.

Good luck.

mavapa
Explorer III
Explorer III

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Skibane wrote:
In many states, RVs under 4000 lbs. GVW don't require a title to sell

I've never seen a trailer (RV, cargo, utility, etc) traveling down the highway without a license plate on it.

Which states allow trailers to go on public roads with a license plate (and title)?

Come visit Oregon. you'll see plenty of utility etc. w/o plates. trailer under 1800 loaded weight don't need plates. Some of the smallest TT may make it, utility trailers are usually light enough to not need a plate. The issue is when traveling to another state and getting pulled over, been there done that, convincing LEO that oregon didn't require plates or trailer brakes took some time.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
bakerkids wrote:
I have owned my T@B for thirteen seasons. It's the 320 size. I have travelled coast-to-coast, as well as FL to MT more than once. Hubby has recently began coming, too. We currently have it in twin bed mode. For stays over 3 nights we often utilize the fully-enclosed add-a-room. Suits our needs.

I also second looking at the 400 model. They made some good improvements for the 2023 model year, IMO. I also admin a Facebook group for T@Bs and accessories for sale if you want to join and take a look at used. Search for "T@B, T@G, and T@DA Campers/Accessories/Parts for Sale-North America".

Thanks for the Facebook group info. I’ll check it out.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned my T@B for thirteen seasons. It's the 320 size. I have travelled coast-to-coast, as well as FL to MT more than once. Hubby has recently began coming, too. We currently have it in twin bed mode. For stays over 3 nights we often utilize the fully-enclosed add-a-room. Suits our needs.

I also second looking at the 400 model. They made some good improvements for the 2023 model year, IMO. I also admin a Facebook group for T@Bs and accessories for sale if you want to join and take a look at used. Search for "T@B, T@G, and T@DA Campers/Accessories/Parts for Sale-North America".
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

Therceng1990
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend checking out the winnebago rv trailers. They have a variety of models that might fit what you are looking for. Narrow and light is definitely something they specialize in. Plus, they have a good reputation for quality so you can be confident in your purchase.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
mavapa wrote:
Since my original post I have ordered a Ford Ranger. It has a 7500 lb tow rating, so I will definitely look for a smaller, lighter trailer. I’m still leaning towards a 320, but when the time comes, if I can find a good used Casita for a reasonable price, I might go that way.

Maybe I should have mentioned I have camped with my wife in a 27-foot Airstream, a 35-foot diesel pusher, a MB Sprinter-based class C, and another 27-foot trailer. I’m pretty familiar with the pros and cons of size, and since it’s likely I’ll be traveling by myself, a smaller RV is all I need. After all, my last “camping” was a foam mattress in the back of a pickup truck. Pretty much anything will be a real step up from that.

Casitas are nice as well. We are partial to the T@B because, we’ll, we have one. :). But it’s a 400. We did like the 320 though. We just decided that we wanted a made up bed so we went with the little bigger 400. It’s on the limits of our tow vehicle but it tows like a champ and we are within all the weights and numbers so why not. We pulled into Revelstoke earlier today. Doing the Dam tour and train museum tomorrow. Hopefully the weather cooperates. :).

Good luck with your hunt. I’m sure you’ll find something that works.

mavapa
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since my original post I have ordered a Ford Ranger. It has a 7500 lb tow rating, so I will definitely look for a smaller, lighter trailer. I’m still leaning towards a 320, but when the time comes, if I can find a good used Casita for a reasonable price, I might go that way.

Maybe I should have mentioned I have camped with my wife in a 27-foot Airstream, a 35-foot diesel pusher, a MB Sprinter-based class C, and another 27-foot trailer. I’m pretty familiar with the pros and cons of size, and since it’s likely I’ll be traveling by myself, a smaller RV is all I need. After all, my last “camping” was a foam mattress in the back of a pickup truck. Pretty much anything will be a real step up from that.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
BackOfThePack wrote:

— Why is “small” important?
(They don’t tow more easily).

They do indeed tow more easily.

They weigh less and have a smaller frontal surface area, which means that they don't push the tow vehicle around as much, or work the TV's drivetrain as hard.

They're easier to maneuver into tight spaces, and they'll fit in 2 parking spaces at any grocery store.

"Tows like nothing's back there" is something no one EVER said about a 45 foot toy-hauler.

— “Value” re money spent goes up in lineal feet increases.
(There’s a minimum, basically, and also a sweet spot for length/money)

Interior volume is just one of many ways to judge value. If you instead measure it by how much of your original purchase price is returned when you sell it, small RVs tend to win handily.

— Inconvenience can weigh heavily after awhile.
(Constant hard use ups the wear rate of interior).

A small, well-made trailer will wear better than a large, poorly-made one.

— Small capacities reduce boondocking ability
(Meaning increased energy use to go back/forth from
the store; propane supplier, get water; dump tanks, etc).

Small trailers require much less propane to heat, they have fewer lights and other 12 volt accessories to drain the house batteries, and they tend to eschew power-hungry appliances such as residential refrigerators, icemakers and dishwashers.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
Skibane wrote:

I've never seen a trailer (RV, cargo, utility, etc) traveling down the highway without a license plate on it.

Which states allow trailers to go on public roads with a license plate (and title)?

Come to Oregon. In the last 45 years I've never licensed any of my utility trailers.

yup, trailers under 1,800 lbs LOADED don't need registration or license in Oregon. it's the "LOADED weight that has gotten folks into trouble, common one is boat trailers. I also have had multiple utility trailers, some pretty good sized that I never plated or registered. Actually pretty rare to see a smaller utility trailer with plates on it around here.

Now don't know if any travel trailers would fit in the <1800lb loaded category, but then it might run into the requirement that travel trailers be registered and they get money out of you by the foot.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Skibane wrote:

Come to Oregon. In the last 45 years I've never licensed any of my utility trailers.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
BackOfThePack wrote:

For many, small means they can store it at home versus paying for storage. Small means using their existing vehicle to tow rather than having to buy a fullsize truck. Those affect the perceived "value". In addition, every RV will cost money to maintain.

BackOfThePack wrote:

This should be a consideration for any RV bought of any size. For many, the inconvenience of having to haul the trailer home from storage to stock it before a trip outweighs the "convenience" of having more space.

BackOfThePack wrote:

Many folks have no desire to boondock for weeks on end. Some, like me, dry camp and utilize a few water jugs and a grey tote during a stay.

BackOfThePack wrote:

— Vast majority of its life it never moves. That IS the way to look at it.

For many, travelling is a bigger part of RVing than staying in one spot. For them, towing a 28ft trailer and having to find places to park a 48+ft combination (and getting fuel) is far more inconvenient.

BackOfThePack wrote:

The above is preparatory to asking:

1). How many years will you own it?

2). How many nights aboard annually?

— The “price” of the RV is the total number of nights aboard over those years.
Each night is worth = $$$

Shorter the period of ownership and lesser nights, the higher the cost of going camping.

The typical RVer spends too much as he keeps it five years and spends maybe thirty nights aboard annually. Then trades for another stapled cardboard box.

You’re say, age fifty and you plan to use this till you’re age 75?
(That’s a MUCH better starting perspective).

This is true with any RV. Everyone should determine if they will use it enough to justify buying it. Many 28ft trailers sit rotting while smaller trailers get used. And fiberglass trailers like the OP is considering will hold up far better than any other RV.

BackOfThePack wrote:

For a couple (even a family of five) a 28’ is a great size when it’s also quality. The type which will outlast your ownership. And there’s no need to buy new, much less buy over & over. My parents 1975 TT is still on the road with the second owners 17-years after they bought it. My folks had it thirty years.

“Used” (when you’re in earning years) just means an annual list of upgrades to tackle as time & budget allow. May not amount to much, or maybe you want to maintain the higher level of OEM quality.

TTs continue to go downhill from their 1960s quality. There are next to no true improvements save ducted A/C and distributed water-radiator heat.

Again, show me a 28ft trailer with a better build quality than a Casita, Scamp, Escape, etc. The molded fiberglass shells far outlast any 1970s aluminum siding trailer.

BackOfThePack wrote:

The classic layout is rear full bath, beds going forward, and kitchen area with all appliances over the axles. The difference from there (length) was how big was the lounge area. (Dinettes separate are wasted space vs closets/cabinets). A full exterior awning package is what makes for camping versatility past “capacities”. One chases shirtsleeve weather (or, from 40F to 90F) to make the most of low thermal mass (all TT).

Greater clarity about NOW and SOME DAY will be of help. (Don’t discount being trapped by weather, days of rain, or being sick/injured. Don’t be FORCED out of the TT).

Awnings are not always practical. Most all of the campgrounds I've enjoyed have sites set up that are not conducive to awnings. In many cases, a simple shade canopy is far more useful as you can place it anywhere.

I'm not sure how rain, illness, etc, would force you OUT of the trailer? Folks should definitely consider being stick INSIDE a trailer for days due to those things.

One should definitely think before choosing and buying. But going big is not the answer for everyone. And what factors make the final choice will be different for everyone.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BackOfThePack wrote:
mavapa wrote:
I’m a couple of steps away from buying a small trailer. I like what I have seen of the T@b 320 and 400, but they are pricey, new or used. Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar type? I want small, preferably narrow and light. I have looked around at several brands, but nothing has jumped out at me. I’m just wondering if I have overlooked anything.

Shorter the period of ownership and lesser nights, the higher the cost of going camping.

The typical RVer spends too much as he keeps it five years and spends maybe thirty nights aboard annually. Then trades for another stapled cardboard box.

For a couple (even a family of five) a 28’ is a great size when it’s also quality. The type which will outlast your ownership. And there’s no need to buy new, much less buy over & over. My parents 1975 TT is still on the road with the second owners 17-years after they bought it. My folks had it thirty years.

“Used” (when you’re in earning years) just means an annual list of upgrades to tackle as time & budget allow. May not amount to much, or maybe you want to maintain the higher level of OEM quality.

TTs continue to go downhill from their 1960s quality. There are next to no true improvements save ducted A/C and distributed water-radiator heat.

The classic layout is rear full bath, beds going forward, and kitchen area with all appliances over the axles. The difference from there (length) was how big was the lounge area. (Dinettes separate are wasted space vs closets/cabinets). A full exterior awning package is what makes for camping versatility past “capacities”. One chases shirtsleeve weather (or, from 40F to 90F) to make the most of low thermal mass (all TT).

Greater clarity about NOW and SOME DAY will be of help. (Don’t discount being trapped by weather, days of rain, or being sick/injured. Don’t be FORCED out of the TT).

Good post. But re why some of us go small. We are a one vehicle house and it can’t be a truck (has to fit in the garage). So some people choose a small trailer to be compatible with their tow vehicle.

Other reasons for us was storage (max 20 feet)
Easier on and off the ferries we use.
Manoeuvrable by hand on the site or in the driveway.

Small has certain advantages for some. We all camp and travel different of course.

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
mavapa wrote:

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak