Did you mean:ย 

Catelitic Convertor protect?

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
How can I protect my Catelytic Convertor from theift on my 2020 Ford
E-450 Class 'C' motorhome?:E
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"
25 REPLIES 25

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
This cost me around $30. 10' of 1/8" steel cable, pieces to make loop ends, screw-locking caribiner and bike alarm from Amazon.

I made loopends on both ends of the cable and wrapped it around the cat and around some large wire bundle. I connected both ends together with the caribiner and tightened it with a wrench. I then zip tied the motion sensing alarm to the loops in the cable, one tie in each loop.

If you bump the exhaust pipe or the cable or the alarm it will go off. You can't remove the alarm, cable or cat without making some noise. There's also the visual deterrent. For $30, why the heck not.

The alarm comes with a remote.
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at stats . Most CCโ€™s are stolen from dealers lots and RV storage lots. When you take these numbers into consideration, the number of cats being removed in your driveway or parked while on vacation is substantially less.
The 15,000 CCโ€™s that are reported stolen each year gets divided by 50 states and then certain cities in those states have the highest recurrence.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just another side effect of Covid handouts creating less desire for gainful employment, raw materials escalation, the Great Resignation and mostly the Sir George of Fentanyl neutering of law enforcement.

Sound like a broken record, but the stats don't lie. Crime is UP exponentially (figuratively) in many areas. But to be expected when you can commit a crime, and then flip the bird at the Police and know that you'll never be held arrested or held accountable.
At least the latter is beginning to change around here.

Best of luck to everyone who is at higher risk of this theft and vandalism. It's costing us big $ on jobs. To the point of giving our job trucks that would otherwise stay on site, to employees, as take home vehicles, just to lessen the chance of it happening. In the last month, on one job, on a F550 gasser that NO ONE would want to commute in, so it sits onsite overnight, gas tank punched and drained. Repaired, back on the job, slip tank for diesel, drained and vandalized, and then the cat stolen.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let all the air out of the tires so they can't fit under the RV to get to it.....

Watch building a cage around it. If you do make sure it has a way to dissipate the heat.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Someone stole mine and it was not fun. I moved to a close storage place. No one can see it now. But it is more expensive.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
haste maker wrote:
Take it off yourself & go sell it like they are going to do...and replace it with a straight pipe...

I remember in the 80's the 2 big auto parts catalogs, JC Whitney and Washawski (I think) marketed "catalytic converter test pipes" that were installed in place of the converter, to ostensibly determine if the converter was plugged and affecting engine performance. ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who put down a BIG pile of gravel under the Cat Converter where he parks his RV.

He then covered the gravel with a 4 bags of Sack-Crete concrete and wet it all down.

They may still steal his Cat, but they are going to have to work for it.

Tim

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If you are worried, take it off, drill out the guts and reinstall.

That sounds like a technique for making a fake catalytic converter that doesn't actually do anything, but won't really do anything to stop someone from stealing it, they aren't going to know it's been drilled out when they steal it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
According to the EPA:

"Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles."

That being said . . . who's gonna check?

Your call.

Just as a practical joke on the converter thief, or what? LOL
If you're guttin the cat, why set yourself up for 2 rounds of exhaust work?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
According to the EPA:

"Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles."

Your call.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
rlw999 wrote:
Since I park on a gravel pad, I've been thinking about digging 8" depressions where the wheels go, just enough to lower the frame to where nothing hits the ground, but the edge of the coach body is so low that a person couldn't slide underneath.

This is a great way!

This is what I did/am doing....but a little different. Rather than dig (and get down to dirt with the possibility of getting stuck), I had a bunch of base rock laying around so I created a mound underneath the catalytic converter area. I need more to make it even harder to get under, but it's the same basic idea as yours.

-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Scatter chicken and other left over bones around the vehicle, and post signs on it reading "Please Don't Feed the Gators or Pythons".
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
According to the EPA:

Your call.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress