Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace OEM seat base with air ride seat base on Chevy 3500

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning everyone.
We arrived home yesterday, from our trip back from our snowbird site in central FL. We used I 75, I 24, I 57 , I 55 to our home here in Crystal City, 35 miles south of St. Louis, MO.
OMG, OMG, OMG, at times the roads were AWFUL!!! There were times I thought we should have had the seat belt hookup that is used in NASCAR race cars. I have thought about this before, but never did much research on the matter. We plan to spend more time on the road. Not getting any younger.
Well into the senior years.
I am going to research air ride seat base replacement to the OEM seat base in our 2014 Chevy 3500 dually. We carry a large truck camper. Lance 1172.
Has anyone changed out their OEM seat base for a air ride seat base?
Or has anyone change out the OEM seats for air ride seats?
I did a search and did not find any post on this.
Awful roads.
Your thought would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
7 REPLIES 7

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
woodworker414 wrote:
Thank you everyone for your reply.
Maybe a air inflated cushion would be a lot easier way to go.
I am trying to make the driver a lot more comfortable. Brenda does all the driving, since I have a serious vision loss.
A lot of things to consider.

My wife uses a Purple mattress seat cushion, she loves it! It was pricey, but a life saver when riding in the truck for hours and days at a time.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059
I will keep everyone posted on this.
I have a lot to learn first.
Used seats may be the way to go.
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please update this as you find solutions. I have a base model Ram and the stock seats are pretty poor. They get quite uncomfortable after a few hours. I looked into air seats, but the cost was high and I worried about airbag replacement. I started to look for used seats from higher trim trucks, but that was pretty expensive too. For 2 longer trips a year, it just didn't rise to the top of our priorities, and now we are planning to replace the truck with a dually in a couple years anyway.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your reply.
Maybe a air inflated cushion would be a lot easier way to go.
I am trying to make the driver a lot more comfortable. Brenda does all the driving, since I have a serious vision loss.
A lot of things to consider.
Brenda and Bill

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Does your truck have safety airbags in the seat? If you do, what ever conversion you do make sure it’s compatible.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Bedlam
Moving to tow vehicle section if others have options for you.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will likely run into height issues. You don't gain much if the seat base is so tall you can't air it up.
Years back they sold spring ride seats, some listed as "low mount", designed to keep drivers from breaking bones in the old freight trucks.