Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: White crusty stuff.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> White crusty stuff.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/22 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Phantom wrote:

I found a white crusty-like substance on one the battery post to my trailer, so I cleaned it up and reattached the cable. How do I prevent this from happening again? I see where grease is applied to the post and clamp, or in older times, a penny put near it, I guess to draw the corrosion away from the post. I need a better solution. Thanks

which post was it? if it was the positive post it could mean your overcharging your battery, if the negitive post it could mean your not charging long enough. aside from cleaning and using the corosion pads and greases, you should try to prevent whats causing it in the first place, if there is inface an issue.

Steve

* This post was edited 04/06/22 06:34am by StirCrazy *

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/22 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had that problem with my diesel tractors other equipment with a battery. Sitting for a couple of weeks before being used and on and off charging systems.
I've used Whip battery protection for over 35 years now with no more acid issues around connection points.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/22 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not mentioned yet is the water level in each cell. This always occurs if the cells are overfilled with water. I notice if I keep the level above the plates and just below the ring, I don't get the corrosion. If your batteries are not on a slide like mine, it's hard to see the level and hard to fill also.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> White crusty stuff.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.