cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Decal replacement

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Has anyone removed old peeling decals and replaced them with new ones on an aluminum sided TT? I would like to try and do it but wasn't sure if it would be a nightmare project to undertake.
7 REPLIES 7

Beatfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I used a pressure washer to wash off the peeling parts and then used an eraser wheel to remove the remaining decals and glue. Works much better than scraping/goo gone.
Time's sure fun when you're having flies!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fyrflie wrote:
The best way I found to remove the decals was with an Eraser wheel. And it removes the adhesive at the same time.

It's certainly one of the handy tools in the decal removal quiver, however it is, IMO, the last resort for tough to remove decals.
Order of precedence I use:
1. Heat and peel. Solvent to remove leftover glue.
2. Heat and razor blade. Solvent to remove leftover glue.
3. When #1 & #2 get frustrating and have you blurting 4 letter expletive's and throwing tools, I bust out the eraser wheel.
Eraser wheel is also real good at removing foam backed adhesive strips, that leave more than just some thin residual glue on the surface, like automotive trim.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
The best way I found to remove the decals was with an Eraser wheel. And it removes the adhesive at the same time.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have removed some but never wanted to replace them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It is much harder on an aluminum sided rig vs smooth surface like Filon/gelcoat.
I'd try a small obscure area first and see how you fare.
Just alot of edges with ribbed aluminum siding and the powdercoat/surface is softer/more susceptible to scratches than smooth gelcoat.
I've removed plenty of decals new and old off of painted vehicles and smooth fiberglass campers.
Things like eraser wheels burn easier on aluminum and it's less resistant to stronger solvents IMO, based on my Al sided other trailers.
I generally make liberal use of heat and a razor blade. Again, tougher to scrape on Al. But there are sharp plastic scrapers or "razor blades" available now haven't tried them yet. Peeled a whole truck's worth of paint with razor blades and heat gun/torch though, recently. Heat helps.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a nightmare, but close. The hardest part is removing the old decals without harming the finish. A heat gun, and a plastic scraper will get most of them off, the some Goof-off to clean the remaing adhesive.
Placing the new decals can be tricky, but slow and steady will get the job done.

wra
Explorer
Explorer
Most local sign shops can reproduce logos and images and make a peal and stick vinal that they, or you can use to replace deteriorated ones on your RV.