Not a good week for Ford

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
36 REPLIES 36

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BIL that works at a GMC/Cadi dealer. His job is to sell vehicles to those waiting for work to be done on their vehicle. It must be a thing.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Under normal conditions, Manufacterers and dealers love recalls. Especially cheap easy fixes like software updates. It means that the consumer has to go to the dealer.... And while he/she is there looks at shiney new vehicles. A lot of sales happen because of it... Sometimes I think recalls are planned for that. It would be easy to do.. Oh snap! there goes my conspiracy side of me again... In todays market, it would be stupid to do it, as they have little to sell.:B
YMMV.

After 30 years in the automobile business, I can never recollect an owner buying a new vehicle while his was in the shop for a recall, however, I can remember many times where a new vehicle was sold as a result of a customer's vehicle being in the body shop, even for something relatively minor. Funny how that works.

Oh it is a real thing. I have read newspaper articles about it, complete with interviews of dealers. I also frequent a lot of automobile boards, and have read of forum members that have done it as well..... In normal times, dealers love floor traffic... In fact when I was having warranty work done on my last truck, the waiting room was in the showroom.. And you could count on a visit from a salesperson like clockwork when sitting there.
That and all of the money spent advertising, promotions etc... They know that a lot of people can be convinced to buy, if they can get them in the dealership.. By any means possible. It works, or they wouldn't do it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Ford is about to ( or already did? ) announce a recall that would/could effect a bunch of Tow vehicles..

"Date 2022-03-25

Campaign/NHTSA# 22S17/22v193

Re Program Integrated Trailer Relay Module

Loss of Trailer Brake Functionality could result in extended stopping distances, increasing the risk of a crash."

about 1 week ago I was informed of the trailer brake recall when I was doing the closing on my new F-150, 1hr at the dealer yesterday and they were able to correct the software issue, all is good... so far..

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Under normal conditions, Manufacterers and dealers love recalls. Especially cheap easy fixes like software updates. It means that the consumer has to go to the dealer.... And while he/she is there looks at shiney new vehicles. A lot of sales happen because of it... Sometimes I think recalls are planned for that. It would be easy to do.. Oh snap! there goes my conspiracy side of me again... In todays market, it would be stupid to do it, as they have little to sell.:B
YMMV.

After 30 years in the automobile business, I can never recollect an owner buying a new vehicle while his was in the shop for a recall, however, I can remember many times where a new vehicle was sold as a result of a customer's vehicle being in the body shop, even for something relatively minor. Funny how that works.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
YMMV.

Apparently you havenโ€™t been to a dealer lately. Dealers have very few vehicles to choose from. Those that do have a few, have vehicles with nice accessories deleted unavailable. Dealers here in N Georgia have between 10-15% of their usual inventory.
Just yesterday, GM announced folding towing mirrors are now deleted.

Apparently you did not read or comprehend my entire post.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Wade44 wrote:
2022 Vehicle Math.

Labor shortages (Not so much the manufacturer themselves but the component and parts suppliers)

+

Material sourcing issues, commodity prices off the charts

+

Electronic components sourced from wherever available and not the usual vendors

+

Vehicles built then stored until parts are available, then completed at a later date.

+

High demand, out of control pricing (Sellers market)

+

Runaway Inflation

=

Above normal issues and recalls.

Personally I would not buy a new vehicle at present unless it's an absolute necessity.

Or and absurdly overpriced RV.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
YMMV.

Apparently you havenโ€™t been to a dealer lately. Dealers have very few vehicles to choose from. Those that do have a few, have vehicles with nice accessories deleted unavailable. Dealers here in N Georgia have between 10-15% of their usual inventory.
Just yesterday, GM announced folding towing mirrors are now deleted.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
YMMV.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
That is a **** fast response and recall by FORD! 28 warranty claims, one complaint to Ford, and one to NHTSA!

I noticed that as well.

The title could easily have been "Ford notices a potential problem and quickly makes fixes, alerts all customers". Not sure how this is bad for Ford. Yea, a problem was encountered that will cost some money to fix, but its far cheaper than litigation and customer relations to fix something that blew up much bigger... like the 6.0 and 6.4 fiasco.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Vehicle Math.

Labor shortages (Not so much the manufacturer themselves but the component and parts suppliers)

+

Material sourcing issues, commodity prices off the charts

+

Electronic components sourced from wherever available and not the usual vendors

+

Vehicles built then stored until parts are available, then completed at a later date.

+

High demand, out of control pricing (Sellers market)

+

Runaway Inflation

=

Above normal issues and recalls.

Personally I would not buy a new vehicle at present unless it's an absolute necessity.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Donโ€™t need the smart AZZ head scratcher emoji to โ€œexpress your opinionโ€.

THAT is what tripped my trigger. Wife loves the 300 so yes it was fun to drive.

Later

1. Scratching head emoji = questioning something (not smart AZZ)

2. Glad she loves the 300

Peace. Out.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Donโ€™t need the smart AZZ head scratcher emoji to โ€œexpress your opinionโ€.

THAT is what tripped my trigger. Wife loves the 300 so yes it was fun to drive.

Later
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
bcbouy wrote:
my ram just got a recall,so...

He!! , my 2014 Ram has had about 12 recalls , averaged about 1.5 per year .

They don't bother me one bit! Bottom line they make things right.

If they paid more attention to 'making them right' in the design studios and on the assembly line, there would be far fewer recalls to "make things right" after the retail buyer takes possession of the vehicle. But, I guess if you've got time on your hands and enjoy hanging out at the dealership, recalls can be fun! ๐Ÿ˜‰

No hanging out. I drop off they give me a car free as part of my warranty I drive off in something different so that's fun like the Chrysler 300.

Yup. Nothing more fun than a Chrysler 300! :h

Scratch your head some more. Not wasting my time with you.

Just expressing my own opinion --- just like everyone else on this forum. After 30 years in the car business, believe me, I know cars, and I know exciting cars. Nuff said.