cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Decent Digital Camera

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Got a big trip coming up and want to take allot of photos. Looking for recommendations on a decent digital camera with telescopic lens that won't break the bank. Hoping I can find something for around $300.00 or less. I have a decent camera on my phone but the telephoto part isn't the best. Thanks for reading
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
15 REPLIES 15

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for all the helpful replies. I found a used Canon SX50HS in very good condition for 189.00 so better than I hoped for price wise.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember with a dslr, that you will be paying for a lot of stuff you'll never use if all you want is a point and shoot. It is also bigger and bulkier if you want something you can just walk about with and slip in a pack/purse.

I just went whale watching with friends. One brought her dslr. After a couple shots, she put it away and used her phone because the dslr required two hands to hold (and she needed one hand to steady herself) and was more complicated to use than she was comfortable with for catching whale sightings. She tends to only use her dslr when she is taking scenic shots where she has time to think about what she's doing. And she often can't be hassled with even bringing it along. She ends up using her phone most of the time - which defeats buying the camera.

The best camera is the one you are comfortable with using at any time and that you are happy carrying.

I shoot with dslr and it is a compromise. I have to carry a heavy camera bag along with any other stuff I'm taking. I had to decide if an all-in-one lens that would shoot the focal range of the average point and shoot camera was worth the sacrifice of quality that shorter zooms and/or prime lenses offered. Or if carrying several lenses and having to change them out was worth the sacrifice of the convenience of a single lens. I chose the latter, but many opt for the former.

IMO, using a dslr on auto is no better than a good point and shoot. And you lose the compact size of the point and shoot for no gain. A dslr really shines when you move to priority or manual settings. But not everyone is comfortable or interested in doing that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
To OP ... I'd stick with Canon or Nikon ... you can get pre-owned camera in excellent condition or a refurbished with a guarantee at either B&H Camera or Adorama ... online ordering. You can call them too, and they will discuss your needs and recommend a camera.

Both great companies, I've done photo and camera business with both for over thirty years.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a FinePix Fuji HS-10 user. I like it most for using AA batteries. Rechargeable work great. Latest models are like all the restโ€ฆproprietary batteries ๐Ÿ˜ž
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
p220sigman wrote:
There are several point/shoot options in that price range. I would venture over to B&H Photo and look through their site. As was said, basically ignore digital zoom and focus (pun intended) on optical zoom Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Panasonic all make some decently rated cameras in your price range.

I shoot with Canon DSLR, but most any of the major makes will take great pictures. Based on your budget, a DSLR is out of the question. You will need to get up to around the $500 mark for an entry level DSLR and will still likely need additional lenses. A decent DSLR kit will easily get over $1000 pretty quickly.

DSLR might be a bit more than the OPs $300 "budget" but you can get them under $500..

Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR 24MP sensor 18-55mm lens $479 HERE

We have the older EOS Rebel T6, takes fantastic pictures which look great even blown up and viewed on a video projector screen size over 9 ft diagonal..

Our T6 when we bought it came with a second telephoto lens and at that time the entire kit cost under $300..

To put the bad timing into perspective used T6 are listed on Amazon for $330 and up..

T6 and T7 are considered a "mid range" DSLR, not the top and not the bottom but will perform very well at this price point and you get the opportunity of interchangeable lenses which the bottom level DSLRs often do not have.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with everything Matt Colie wrote.

Definitely shoot at the largest file size and superfine image compression. Why pay for a 20mp camera if you're only going to shoot it at 10mp or less.

The tilt screen is really great. I had it on my Canon G6 years ago and still miss it. It helps with over the head, low to the ground, macro, and taking photos in bright sunlight.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
No specific answer, but some thing to watch for.

โ€ข Does it fit comfortably in your hand ?
โ€ข If it uses rechargable batteries, is their an external battery pack hat can be swapped ? Unique charger ?
โ€ข Some of the very small cameras fit in a shirt pocket. Guaranteed to call out when you bend over.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Matt_Colie wrote:
While I did have a short and lackluster stint as a stringer photog, I have always done a lot of photography for myself. In recent years, I have stuck with Nikon and Canon and never been disappointed.

No matter what you read, THE GLASS IS IMPORTANT.
This is where phone cameras miss the mark.

Be sure to look at the lens range and not the digital zoom. The digital zoom is an instant quality killer. You can usually do better in post-processing that the device does for this.

What your price target will get you is a high end "Point and Shoot" and that will serve you well.

Something I have gotten to love is the flip around view screen that my current Canon has. I don't know if Nikon does that yet. I have used that for the "hold the camera over your head" shots more than a few times. It has lots of uses actually.

Now for my standard warnings:
Always carry a spare battery when you are out. They are cheaper (and maybe not as good) on Ebay, so get at least two.
Always carry spare memory. If you ever run it in movie mode, you will burn a bunch in a hurry. Keep track in the view finder.
Always shoot at the biggest file type short of RAW. (Raw is just too huge if you don't need it. ~20meg files)
Get a hard case to carry it in. You never know what will happen and I had one taken out by a single bang.

Matt

Excellent advice. I have an iPhone 13 which has a 12Mp camera but the digital zoom is not very good.

My main camera is a Nikon D5000 SLR that I have had for about 9 years. This is 12.3 Mp and with the 55-200 zoom-tele lens is excellent for most near and all long distance shots. I also have a 18-55 fixed lens which is great for near shots.

I also have had a Nikon Coolpix S3700 for about 6 years. This is a 20Mp camera with digital zoom. Quite frankly my old iPhone 8 took better pictures. I don't use it anymore!

Going on vacation I mainly use the Nikon, but use the iPhone if I want a quick 'snap'!
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
There are several point/shoot options in that price range. I would venture over to B&H Photo and look through their site. As was said, basically ignore digital zoom and focus (pun intended) on optical zoom Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Panasonic all make some decently rated cameras in your price range.

I shoot with Canon DSLR, but most any of the major makes will take great pictures. Based on your budget, a DSLR is out of the question. You will need to get up to around the $500 mark for an entry level DSLR and will still likely need additional lenses. A decent DSLR kit will easily get over $1000 pretty quickly.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
While I did have a short and lackluster stint as a stringer photog, I have always done a lot of photography for myself. In recent years, I have stuck with Nikon and Canon and never been disappointed.

No matter what you read, THE GLASS IS IMPORTANT.
This is where phone cameras miss the mark.

Be sure to look at the lens range and not the digital zoom. The digital zoom is an instant quality killer. You can usually do better in post-processing that the device does for this.

What your price target will get you is a high end "Point and Shoot" and that will serve you well.

Something I have gotten to love is the flip around view screen that my current Canon has. I don't know if Nikon does that yet. I have used that for the "hold the camera over your head" shots more than a few times. It has lots of uses actually.

Now for my standard warnings:
Always carry a spare battery when you are out. They are cheaper (and maybe not as good) on Ebay, so get at least two.
Always carry spare memory. If you ever run it in movie mode, you will burn a bunch in a hurry. Keep track in the view finder.
Always shoot at the biggest file type short of RAW. (Raw is just too huge if you don't need it. ~20meg files)
Get a hard case to carry it in. You never know what will happen and I had one taken out by a single bang.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fisherman wrote:
What RCMAN46 said, I've got a Canon SX510, it's got a 30X zoom and even that is amazing.

OP picked a very bad time to look for cameras, many have been discontinued or just no longer available due to parts shortages and shipping issues.. The ones that are left available on the market have shot well past twice the price they should be..

That SX510 is discontinued, might be able to find some NOS or used, found one used one on Amazon for $120, a couple yrs back and a used digital camera like that would have gotten $50 if you were trying to sell it.

First question that should be asked is do you want a "point and shoot" or do you want a "SLR" with interchangeable lenses?

The SX510 size is basically the same size as a digital SLR but unlike a digital SLR the SX510 does not support interchangeable lenses (IE limitation), think of it as an oversized point and shoot.

Small point and shoots can be nice, but just like cameras in cellphones they do have limitations due to lens size and quality, aperture opening and sensor size.

Larger point and shoots like the SX510, may as well consider spending a bit more for a real digital SLR since there isn't much advantage for size.

We like to have several cameras to work with, small point and shoot that fits a pocket gives better results than cellphone and then for those pictures I want to save as best as possible moments we have a digital SLR and choose which lens will capture our pix the best.. For most times two lenses with some over lapping coverage works well.. One for up close and one for far distance telephoto..

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either a Canon or Nikon but make sure it has OPTICAL zoom and is not just digitally faking zoom which is what phones do.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
What RCMAN46 said, I've got a Canon SX510, it's got a 30X zoom and even that is amazing.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Canon SX50HS that has a 50X optical zoom. Works great is is not too large or heavy.