Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the truth about the trucking situation?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What's the truth about the trucking situation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/22 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the number of commercial trucks on Interstates? We just came back from a trip into North Carolina and I never recall seeing more trucks on the highway. Is the truck driver shortage over now? If there is truly a shortage of truckers then when the situation is resolved there will be no room on the highways for anyone else!! Just sayin...

(Moved to ATC from 5th Wheel forum)

* This post was edited 04/08/22 01:17pm by an administrator/moderator *

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just my though,s it,s all man made. even the gas, ships, etc .

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

just my though,s it,s all man made. even the gas, ships, etc .

Very well said. I agree the usual bs from the media and g

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/22 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember last summer while traveling through the Carolinas we saw lumber piled high in fields. The word circulated at the time was there was a lumber shortage and prices went through the roof. I know a few people trying to build a new home and the cost overrun and shortage created significant problems for them. Yet I could see stacks of lumber in the south.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have noticed that and wondered. I also noticed a massive increase in the number of trucks in rest areas, to the point where I can almost never get a parking space for my DP, especially overnight.

I have mentioned this situation and did get a good answer about the rest areas. The crowd there is a side effect from electronic log books. Everyone knows that many drivers used to have two sets of logs which made it possible for them to drive more. Now with electronic log books, that is not the case so more trucks have to park more. I can see where this would also generate more trucks on the road to make up the difference of fewer trucks, well, on the road.

I had not extended my thoughts on that until this post.

Now the question is, do more trucks on the road make it less safe to drive on the roads? Or, does the electronic log book actually reduce safety on the road?

Wouldn't be the first time a law back fired on it's intended purpose.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/22 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electronic log books have existed for a while. I doubt this is causing the sudden surge at rest areas. I don't think there is any doubt that trucks make the highways unsafe because these guys are paid by the mile, not by the hour!! The only way for them to make money in most cases is drive a lot of miles. You can make more money at 70 mph than 55 mph.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And don't forget that many of those drivers are new and can't speak English. I even understand that to pass the CDL test they have to have someone translate for them.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/22 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real shortage is well paid positions with reasonable working conditions.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thoughts on labor shortage in general; If you order a ice-cream cone, the girl says "That will be $3.75" You will only give $3.25. Is there a ice cream shortage?

Truck drivers; Late '70s, the great "deregulation" of trucking industry only reduced regulation on routes/service and freight rates. And allowed most of the companies that had union contracts to fold, open under another name as non-union.
I owned/drove my own truck for over 30 years. Early last year, I sent out a few applications, thinking I could run a few short trips a month. (When drivers are paid by mile, a load that moves less than 500 miles in a day reduces the paycheck) 3 of the companies that contacted me sent pictures of the closet space in the sleeper. "Look! We have room for enough clothes for 3 weeks!" The companies that would promise "Home every week" would only guarantee 10 hours at home. Yes, you might have to spend 36 hour reset someplace else.
Then, just for snots and grins, look at all the regulations the drivers are responsible to be sure the company follows, or he will pay the fine.
If driver shortage is such a problem, why are they treated so bad that the average turnover is over 80%? (Some companies run well over 200%)

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/22 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have noticed the exact same thing as I drive.

I drove big trucks for 20+ years, all over the east coast, and am glad I got out when I did.. WAY TOO MUCH regulations now, and the E-logs are a HUGE reason why the rest stops are over crowded..

We had a driver parked in front of our shop, he needed to move as he was in the way, he had to start it and crawl under 3 mph ( or something close ) as he was out of his hours...

Another issue is ALL the BIG guys ( Amazon and such ) are hiring all the drivers.. I have adds run in 3 different facilities trying to get qualified CDL A drivers.. Most that actually show up for the interview state that they can go to Amazon for BIG $$$. Heck, Walmart just announced that they are raising the starting pay of their drivers to $110,000 for the first year

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What's the truth about the trucking situation?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.