Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the truth about the trucking situation?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What's the truth about the trucking situation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/22 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The real shortage is well paid positions with reasonable working conditions.

Not sure about where you are but the problem here is you cannot find skilled workers at reasonable rates because non-skilled workers are now getting $20+ an hour to stock shelves.

I just saw on the news yesterday that Walmart will be paying new drivers $96,000 a year to start.
Local engineering companies paying $74,000 for kids just out of college. Not even Engineers yet. Oh yea and we need to pay for their school because they don't make enough to pay off their school loans......[emoticon]

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw in the news yesterday, Walmart starting Truck Drivers @$95K a year.
[image]

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently located a short distance from I-10 west of Houston. For a lack of truckers, all I can say is there is a tremendous amount of truck traffic on this highway, all day and night long. If there were more, it would be a rolling roadblock.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, WalMart just started advertising their new driver rate....$95,000/year (up from $88,000/yr). When WalMart does something that drastic, that says something.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ATA Truck Tonnage Index Unchanged in February

Quote:

“Demand for trucking freight services remains strong, but for-hire contract carriers are capacity constrained due to the driver and equipment markets. The spot market has been surging as these carriers can’t haul all of the freight they are asked to move,” he said. “So the fact that the tonnage index hasn’t fully recovered is a supply problem, not a lack of demand. Other ATA data shows that for-hire carriers are operating around 7% fewer trucks, both company and independent contractor equipment, than prior to the pandemic.”

According to the trucking industry there are not more trucks running now than before the pandemic. Look at the chart in the link; there are lot more trucks running now than during the start of the pandemic.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/22 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I retired from trucking 4 years ago. Still working for same company now but as a "when I fell like working" I'll show up for a day or 2 and just do 7 mile drop and hook shuttles.
The E-logs have made it very hard for the newer drivers paid by the mile. E-log says you have 30 more minutes to drive,so they drive 26 and try to find a place to park that is usually already full by 3pm.Then they just park where ever, ie firelanes,even the fuel islands.
Add in cellphone,I-pads,and other electronics and it gets worse. Our company requires 2 years experience but they just fired a guy seen on in truck camera watching a video on his I-pad in a holder on the steering wheel.He actually told our safety department..." I get bored going down the road."
And I wont even get into some of the wrecks you can see on You tube of the trucks hitting the accident that they come up on at full speed.
I was a trainer back in the 80's but quit that because basically they wanted the truck to turn miles so while the just out of school trainee was driving you were supposed to sleep and hope you still woke up this side of heaven. Lost 2 friends that way. The new regs on schooling now may change the time on the road in school,but it will be years before an noticeable difference if any.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/22 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truckers deserve good money since it is a tough job. There are more trucks on the road today because our economy is going at full steam. On our way home from the RGV this year, almost every place we stopped had help wanted signs. I can't remember when I've seen local companies running television ads looking for help like they are here in central Missouri.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/22 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The real shortage is well paid positions with reasonable working conditions.

This is true... Big Employers IE: McDonalds, Wal*mart and any big industry) Whine they can not afford to pay a living wage.. That's why half the workers, the hard working half, at Wal*mart qualify for food stamps (Most who get food stamps have at least one job. some 2)

One Ice Cream parlor got no takers at minimum wage so he offered $15.00/hr (And I might add that though he made the papers he's not alone in this) Suddenly he had applicants around the block.

Well he hired some (What he needed) Trained 'em and they are still with him. He saves money on training new workers.. The more experienced the workers are the fewer mistakes. They get to know his customers so the customers are quicker to come back (Had one restaurant we used to go to every AM soon as we pulled in the cook had our order on the stove). and thus sales are up. Profit has remained about steady to slight improvement.

But McD's replaced their counter workers with computers in many stores... Thus LOSING customers who want a human interaction experience.

COSTCO: pays a higher starting pay (Much higher over 15.00) the CEO takes a smaller salary than his competitors.. Others in the CEO class keep bugging him to screw his workers and pocket the profit. He refuses... (Sadly there is no COSTCO near me. Several Sams. but no Costco). Given my choice I'd go with Costco membership.

Higher (living) wage gets you employees who stick around longer. As a result they gain more experience and do a better job.

Restaurant I have Sunday Brunch at pays over regular Minimum wage PLUS tips... Many restaurants pay about 5.25 or 5.50 BELOW federal minimum for non-tipped workers (I would have to research the minimums again to find the exact amount) and the waiter/waitress is supposed to make up the difference with Tips.... When I tip. I'm tipping my waiter/waitress (The restaurant has both) not the Boss.

I also get good service.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/22 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it sounds like Governor of Texas has decided to make things worse for many people, starting with truck drivers. There is talk of trucks delayed for up to 5 hours for "safety inspections" on trips that normally take under 2 hours. Doubtful any of the drivers will get paid for that time.

BackOfThePack

Fort Worth

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s not a driver shortage and never has been. That’s the mega carriers collaborating to flood every region with THEIR drivers in order to cut rates further.

In turn, that gets them permission to hire foreigners and expedite the green card.

The sinkhole gets worse from there.

The game is to undercut every system of support.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What's the truth about the trucking situation?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.