cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart 27DC….80 or 109AH?

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered 2 27DCs from the Walmart website yesterday. The description stated an amp/hr rating of 109. When I picked the batteries up they had hold stickers on top with my name etc. When I got them home and peeled the stickers off they had a rating of 80 amp hours @ 20hr on the label. They do weigh what the description states @ 50.2lbs each. I’m pretty sure Johnson Controls were making batteries for them and they have been bought out by Clarios? I’m not familiar with this 20hr style of rating either. There is some mention of this in some of the reviews but nothing more than someone returning the batteries for this reason. Did I get what I wanted or is there something more to this?
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel
11 REPLIES 11

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
KD4UPL wrote:
it's called the Peukert effect

This is the answer.

Basically, the higher the amp draw, the lower the amp-hr you can expect. Therefore, they need to define the amp-hrs in terms of the draw. 20hr rate is basically 5% of amp-hr rating which is fairly reasonable for a house battery.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the info! I learned something today.:C
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
Basically their marketing guys used a non standard number to make the advertising look better. It's not wrong, just a little sneaky.

If they used a 0.001 amp load, they could probably get 150 AH out of it! :B

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Just about all Group 27 batteries are, give or take, about 75 amp hours. Yours are 80 so that's on the upper end. Rating them with a 20 hour draw is the industry standard.
A manufacturer can rate them at any draw they want for marketing purposes. Apparently yours are about 109 AH at what is roughly a 100 hour rate. I suspect if you tested them at an 80 amp draw you might only get 1/2 hour making them 40 AH at that rate.
All the numbers are correct, it's called the Peukert effect if you want to read all about it.
Basically their marketing guys used a non standard number to make the advertising look better. It's not wrong, just a little sneaky.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
mooky stinks wrote:
I did just look at the website photo of the battery and it shows on the label: 109 amp hrs @ 1 amp
VS what I received which states 80 amp hrs @ 20hrs. I can’t find anything that states if these two ratings are just a number game or they truly are different.

It's the same battery, just being tested with two different loads.

At higher loads (i.e., more amps), the battery has less effective capacity, because higher loads cause more of the battery's power to be wasted as heat. With more power wasted as heat, less power is available for whatever you're powering.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
All deep-cycle batteries I've seen are rated nominally at 20 hours.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

red31
Explorer
Explorer
from a JCI 2003 spreadsheet showing amp hours vs constant draw down load

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 hr rate is 4 amps If you draw it down at 1 amp it lasts longer Not a scam, but a sales trick to use the 1 amp rate
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I did just look at the website photo of the battery and it shows on the label: 109 amp hrs @ 1 amp
VS what I received which states 80 amp hrs @ 20hrs. I can’t find anything that states if these two ratings are just a number game or they truly are different.
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty-nine amps is significant when talking about totals of 218 vs. 160. I’d return them and ask for what was advertised. Take your written proof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
If the sticker says 80AHr, that's probably what you got. 20hr run down rate is typically how batteries are classified for capacity, things like 'cranking amps' don't apply for camping use. If you're installing two, you'll probably get more capacity (as well as battery design robustness) by installing two 6v golf cart batteries in series. Sams and Costco seem to have the best deals on these typically.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK