cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lubricant - Need Quick Answer

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving tomorrow around 8am for a 2600 mile SE US trip. I have a silly problem, but wanted to see people's thoughts. We have an electric awning, which was installed at the Perry FMCA show in 2019. When rolling it out it has begun sticking, resulting in me having to go out and tug on each side, releasing the arms from the mounts. My guess is there is a slight misalignment, as this just started. But I don't have time to dig into very deeply. My current thought is to use vaseline and lube the arms where they go into the mount. A temporary fix for sure, but again, not a lot of time to deal with this before tomorrow morning. Thoughts???

Al
14 REPLIES 14

Explorer II
Explorer II
haddy1 wrote:
If it needs to be re-aligned, which is very likely, no lube is going to help. You could have done the job in less time than you have spent on this forum replying to folks that have tried to help you. If you have never done it, it's simple. You simply need to remove/install one screw.
I agree with this.

Roll it out. Measure from edge of tube to edge of fabric on both sides. Verify it's even, within half inch.

Roll it back in. Verify fabric edges on both sides are perfectly evenly stacked on the tube. You may notice the last one or two wraps slightly drifted from the inner wraps. If this is the case or the fabric edge attached to the camper wall track is not perfectly aligned with the fabric edge rolled on the tube it needs adjusting. Take note which way and how far the fabric on the wall track needs to move.

To adjust, you should find either one or two screws securing the fabric to the wall track on the camper wall, usually close to the edges. Roll fabric out a foot or so and remove the screws. Have two people push the awning arms towards the camper to create slack in the fabric. You can use tiewraps if nobody is available. Slide fabric in track as needed.

Roll awning completely out and in a few times to verify proper operation. Adjust as needed. Once satisfied the awning is operating properly, reinstall the screw or screws through the fabric and into the wall track.

It really is quite easy. It took me much longer to write the steps than actually doing it. The hardest part is dragging out the ladder.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion silicon lubes are good for rubber or plastic like window channels etc. The best I have found for metal is Slick 50 Spray lube. It's hard to find but I just ordered some from Amazon.The first time I used it was on the screw jack on the trailer and the weight of the trailer pushed the jack back down. Not enough friction. I keep a can or two around ever since.. PB Blaster for penetrating..
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
If it needs to be re-aligned, which is very likely, no lube is going to help. You could have done the job in less time than you have spent on this forum replying to folks that have tried to help you. If you have never done it, it's simple. You simply need to remove/install one screw.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too would go with the Silicon type sprays HOWEVR that might not be the problem.

Watch how it rolls up.. I've seen the fabric move a bit in the roller and as a result it would "Bind" when it closed.. Major pain. a

How to tell if this is the issue.
The end of the roll of fabric should be "Flat" Not cone shaped.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Need to know brand and model of Awning
2. The USUAL cause of your type problem is the Awning roll itself has shifted Forward or rearward about 1 inch in the upper wall mount Awning rail. They neglected to install the thru the awning rail stop screws to keep the upper roll in place.
3. 2nd cause is the Fabric itself has shifted in the awning metal tube either forward or rearward
4. Regardless, NOTHING will be further damaged and you can just keep manually releasing the arms on your trip until you can get it fixed. Doug

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nothing oily,it,ll stain

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I vote trying silicone spray but the โ€œrealโ€ answer is to have the problem fixed correctly.

I know the "real" answer but there is just not time before I leave. It does not appear to be misaligned based on the eyeball test when it's rolled up.

Silicone it is....thanks!!

Al

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Is the awning rolled up evenly? If not it will bind. On your trip you can see this and ajust the tenting as needed.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
Use a dry silicone spray, Vaseline will attract road dirt and could make the problem even worse.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I vote trying silicone spray but the โ€œrealโ€ answer is to have the problem fixed correctly.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
spray it with silicon spray or WD40
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Why not stop using it until you can get it fixed?

Because we're leaving in the morning for a 7 week trip, and need to use the awning. I can continue to pull the arms free, but I just want to do something simple to get us by until we return.

Al

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Why not stop using it until you can get it fixed?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Vaseline is petroleum based and could affect the surface it's put on and it may collect dust. I would opt for a dry silicone spray lube. Funny, as a cyclist I always have dry chain lube. I use it for a lot of things other than bike chains.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS