cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

%#$@^ critters!

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
So the mice left some droppings over the winter. Not terrible but left some on pots/pans- some utencils. Is it safe to just wash via soap water- Dishwasher? I threw lots of stuff out- but didn't think i needed to get rid of everything. Any tips? everything was taken home- and soaked in hot water- then run thru dishwasher
25 REPLIES 25

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Michelle.S wrote:
Well growing up in the sticks where mice were a part of life, I guess I should have died many years ago.

This ^^^^^

Clean up your stuff with hot soapy water and you are good to go.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck using a 5 gallon bucket with (2 holes) drilled near top of it 180 degrees of each other. Run a small stiff wire (hanger type) with a small diameter PVC tube over it so it spins freely just slightly smaller than width of bucket. Then drill some small holes in the 'center of the tube' that spins and smear peanut butter into them.

Now use a wooden yard stick and attach it to the side so mice can travel up bait it a little if you like with peanut butter.

Mice will go up and when they venture to the center of the tube it will spin dumping them in the bucket. Oh...add a few inches of water to drown the little critters. The best thing about this trap is you set it and forget about it. It catches over and over and over and over and over...

Total cost $5 bucks or so. Works indoors or outdoors. I have my sitting at the back of my RV in the storage yard where I park. Helps not only me but the other owners there as well. LOL! No poison involved.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wade44 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Wade44 wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:
Here are the recommendations from the CDC for cleaning up after rodents.

CDC Cleaning up after rodents

Great LOL. Now his mice will be running around the RV 6" apart wearing little surgical masks while facing the possibility of being locked down by Dr Mauci.

Wow, that is a lot of work to cleanup! I wonder how people who live in the country survive with all the mice, squirrels, chipmunks and other rodents around.

We've always had a lot of cats running around. CDC? ROFLMAO. I had better start sterilizing barns and out buildings with flamethrowers. The urbanites crack me up. My wife gets madder than hell when I sneak into the kitchen to grab a cold one without taking off my boots that most likely have some manure on them......Ewwwwwww!

We definitely have a broad cross section of society on this forum, that's for sure!
I gotta give props to one mouse in particular though, a few years ago.
Always stored our TC in the shop. It was totally sealed to rodent intrusion except the electrical cord and little plastic door cutout I found out.
We don't have many rodents because we have a killer cat. So that helps. He keeps our place and the neighbors (10 ac total and half dozen buildings) about 95% mouse and rat free...if I could train him to hunt moles and mountain beavers I'd feed him lobster!
Prior to recognizing and rectifying this I found light evidence of invaders once spring. Just a few random turds....until I opened a small drawer we used as the spice rack. What I found was a completely eaten packet of powdered dressing mix and a drawer full of un-eaten goat feed!
This may not seem significant until I explain, the goat feed was in an attached side shop that only had mouse access up and over the wall and though the old location of the "eaves", up top. Total round trip travel distance from the feed to the camper drawer , including up and down the tight rope (power cord into the camper) was probably 100 yards! Idk how many pellets of feed a mouse can haul at once, but there was a good pound of feed in the drawer!!
I honestly would've given that mouse a pass if I caught him, just for his persistence. (And the fact that he was kind enough to not chew up anything, didn't p iss anywhere or mess anything up and frankly impressed the hell out of me!)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
For protection against mice, glue traps baited with a bit of peanut butter are very effective. You might put a few out during the next winter. Check them once in while and replace bait if it is too hard.

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Wade44 wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:

Great LOL. Now his mice will be running around the RV 6" apart wearing little surgical masks while facing the possibility of being locked down by Dr Mauci.

Wow, that is a lot of work to cleanup! I wonder how people who live in the country survive with all the mice, squirrels, chipmunks and other rodents around.

We've always had a lot of cats running around. CDC? ROFLMAO. I had better start sterilizing barns and out buildings with flamethrowers. The urbanites crack me up. My wife gets madder than hell when I sneak into the kitchen to grab a cold one without taking off my boots that most likely have some manure on them......Ewwwwwww!
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer

That has to top the hilarious sarcasm if I ever read one.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wade44 wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread is funnier than the one asking how to keep the camper fridge door from closing or swinging open, while in storage!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:

You know what else is easy to bait for?

People with absolutely no sense of humor?
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just keep you tongue to yourself while kissing.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
StarkNaked wrote:
Wade44 wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:

Putting rodent bait out is easy. They come running.

You know what else is easy to bait for? Science Deniers. All you have to do is utter three simple letter: CDC. They come running! Several people in this thread said the exact same thing as the CDC. Use bleach solution to sanitize.
Not wanting to be labeled a Science Denier, I went ahead and did some more research on the CDC site so I could set your mind at ease. I found out that even if the mouse kissed you, you would be fine as long as you didnโ€™t have โ€œsustained unmasked contact within six feet for more than 15 minutesโ€. It does not appear that itโ€™s even necessary to wash your face immediately after being kissed; although that wasnโ€™t actually mentioned.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Well growing up in the sticks where mice were a part of life, I guess I should have died many years ago.

Same here!!!
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wade44 wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:

Putting rodent bait out is easy. They come running.

You know what else is easy to bait for? Science Deniers. All you have to do is utter three simple letter: CDC. They come running! Several people in this thread said the exact same thing as the CDC. Use bleach solution to sanitize.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Wash everything good and you will be fine.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.