cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What load capacity should a ladder have for A/Cs?

whatinZamzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The model is a dometic 13500 BTU brisk 2, weighs about 70~80 lbs & I was wondering what is the minimum type of ladder I need. A average sized women would be on it & I would be pulling from the top. Can I use a multipurpose/multiposition ladder? I was going for either this or this one. I already have this 8 footer but it's missing like 2 feet to reach the top. Thanks for reading.
28 REPLIES 28

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve done it several ways. Hardest was carrying it up on my shoulder. Too old for that now. Second-hardest was sliding it up ladder jammed into open truck tailgate and to a roof corner (needed help on ground). Third was two men on two ladders.

In all of these the ladders need to be tied off. A 15k A/C is 105# ship weight. The weight is not ever the problem, it’s the balance. (Vantage point never exists).

Have seen an RV tech tie off a Little Giant and use an ATV winch with a tackle block to lower/raise along vertical ladder atop a tall Moho. Remote controls. Set up and take down was tedious. Rope nest around ship box was tedious to assemble.

Hired an RV tech who had two men use two ladders just alike and a cross piece “clamped” to both at both ends. It cleared the roof by several feet then they cranked the unit up/down between them with a Manual boat winch (went quick; screw electric).. That crossbar high enough they were on ladders whole time and could swing on/off the roof the old/new units. Third man (boss) was on roof

Some fab skill, but he’s doing it regularly. This was steadiest I’ve seen (given no tractor or other lifting equipment). The cross bar and DOUBLE LADDER FOOTING replicated each other. (Ladders free for normal use once attachments dismounted).

AC unit stood up momentarily to travel vertically. That’s where two men made things easy: the partial flip onto the roof (packing case still closed). Didn’t need third man.

The attachments just traveled on vans roof rack with ladders.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good to hear, that ya got er done!!!

Ya, those nylon ropes can be nasty for sure! I know those inch lbs are recommended, but I just like snug um up, for my gauge. You just need to crush the new gasket a bit, maybe 1/3 of the thickness. In time, you may need to snug the bolts a little, as the gasket takes set.

Good on your wife, for giving it a try!! She's a keeper for sure!

Jerry

whatinZamzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies! I actually finished the job and learned a few things. So mounting bolts sometimes get seized in the thread of the nutcerts so turning the head of the bolt also would turn the nutcerts. I'd recommend anyone reading this to not rely on the manual's recommendation of the torque which is like 40~50 in lbs. It literally will start bending your thin wood roof panel since it's beneath a duct most likely if your trailer/RV is as such. I think mines is about 30~35 right now. I bought another A/C seal for the base just encase untightening it the same day made it unreliable. So ya I ended up borrowing my next door neighbor to help me lift the A/C lol. He used his head as I pulled with the rope. So anyways back to the bolts. I cut the 2 heads off & as I lifted I accidentally placed it with the 2 bolts on the roof. Thing is I had a pretty hefty fabric on top & no puncture or bending was present. I think I got a little lucky. They were pretty soft and malleable. It's just the old A/C would freeze up so they got like that. Another thing I learned was for the love of god please use some non slippery thick gloves when pulling it up with nylon rope. My fingers started bending on their own and it hurt like hell(might be a personal disease not sure). This was like 3 hours after the installation though. Bringing the old one down was actually pretty darn easy. I used 2 ladders as well to prep things. I think the biggest mistake of the whole experience was not wearing gloves. I love the new extension ladder. Feels way safer than the step ladder due to height reach. So anyways I appreciate all of your concerns and ya try to get as much people to help as possible, but if you can get by without that many go for it. Just have all the safety measures in place. The person that said it would be a disaster, well I hate to break it to you I actually tried it with her and we were pretty darn close. There was no imminent potential for danger though. It was more of a combined strength issue when the A/C needs to turn at the top. But hey if you think she can't handle it for sure then don't even think about it.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a longshot. Go to a local heating and air conditioning shop and see if they would be willing to lend you a duct lift like in the #3 post. A duct lift would be the safest way to get the units up and down. Call a couple rental places to see if they have them. I know it's more expense but it's better than getting hurt or dropping it.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
What is the technical definition of "average woman"?

Asking for a friend.

Good question! Maybe we can get an EXPERT answer from our Osha safety expert, Arborist/lumberjack. He may have 25 years experience as a designer of women's clothing?? :B

I've had some experience with women, but most were extreme, as opposed to average.

Jerry

Ohhh, I have soooo many things I could say, but I know better, I think.

:S
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360 wrote:

Asking for a friend.

Good question! Maybe we can get an EXPERT answer from our Osha safety expert, Arborist/lumberjack. He may have 25 years experience as a designer of women's clothing?? :B

I've had some experience with women, but most were extreme, as opposed to average.

Jerry

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad

Asking for a friend.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^Wow...Lol, can't argue with that level of expertise! 🙂 🙂

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:

Gde...Thanks for being Debbie the downer! My lady friend just threw this out, when I asked her, if she'd be willing to push an AC up the ladder. I thought her quick response was noteworthy, while we all know to be careful, and a rope not being best choice, compared to a winch.

Kind of like using a crane, but most have more trees, than cranes.

Jerry

Not being a "Debbie the downer", more like 22 yrs of safety training and working around forklifts and heavy materials just waiting to kill you when you least expect it at work has smartened me up.

Not to mention 30+ yrs cutting trees for personal firewood has given me a few lessons of what not to do with trees.

The object of the discussion is how does one get a heavy, bulky item 8+ ft in the air without damaging the item or personal life in the process?

Tree branches are not called "widow makers" for no reason.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
just find a dealer or some one who,s done this. if it cost you $500.bucks whats your life worth. better yet injuring your wife or yourself for life.always done my own maint, but not this. p.s you could rent a scaffol and slide it in place.

ROFL.
How do you get it 10'-12' up on the second level of scaffolding?
Pull it up with a rope? lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread has the makin's of Entertaining Thread of the Month. Keeper up boys! LOL

OP, the only ladder you have a chance of sliding it up on successfully is an extension ladder. And it makes sense, however based on the nature of your question, you're not really a handyman, so don't put your wife under it on the ladder.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think a average size woman can dead lift 80 lbs with a rope up a ladder by herself. Strong male adult/teen under side pushing up the ladder and the average size woman pulling a rope on the roof sounds doable.
All kinds of rental lift equipment out here to make the job easier/safer. Or a neighbor with a tractor with a bucket that will level lift the A/C to a 11'-12' to the rear roof line.

Not all rv trailer roofs have the same load limits. Mine does but that don't mean all will.

Ladder load capacity will need to be enough to cover the persons weight plus the A/C weight on the ladder while he/she is pushing up.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote: "Be very careful about just throwing a line into a tree and dangling the unit from that. Tree limbs can be pretty good looking but yet dead or rotted inside and one will never know that until it breaks. One would also want to use not just a rope, but a rope, pulley and a winch with a brake.

Pulley reduces friction it takes to get the item in the air.

Winch with brake makes lifting effort easier plus the brake gives you some means to control the item at all times.

Think safety first.."

Gde...Thanks for being Debbie the downer! My lady friend just threw this out, when I asked her, if she'd be willing to push an AC up the ladder. I thought her quick response was noteworthy, while we all know to be careful, and a rope not being best choice, compared to a winch.

Kind of like using a crane, but most have more trees, than cranes.

Jerry

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
1320Fastback wrote:
When I put the Atwood on our first trailer I grabbed some pallets and trash 2X4 and built staging in the back of my truck that was parked as close as possible to the trialer. If I remember it was only two levels to get it up on the roof. The wife and I lifted it into the truck, then up one level, then we stood on the first level and lifted it to the second and finally up on the roof.

Similar to what we did (me and my DW), instead of pallets I used several 2x12s across the top of the truck bed for the A/C to sit on. Placed a sturdy 8ft step ladder in the truck bed (not opened) against the side of the trailer and secured the step ladder to the truck bed.

This splits the amount of height one must lift a heavy bulky object.

However, in hind sight, at that time was young and dumb to not think about the what if's of the plan if things went sideways.

Reality is once you have an heavy bulky object at arms height or higher (above your head) you do lose strength and control and it places your body directly and squarely in the path of that heavy and bulky object if for any reason one person loses grip or balance of said heavy object.

Yes, we got it done, wasn't easy, wasn't pretty, wasn't fun and wasn't safe and the last foot or two was downright sketchy and dangerous.

Fast forward many yrs worth of experience later and I would not consider attempting this same feat manually. Using some sort of safer way with mechanical advantage like a purpose built lift, front loader, ect will get the job done in a much safer manor in a much faster way for a much more reasonable cost than ones life, health, safety.

Be very careful about just throwing a line into a tree and dangling the unit from that. Tree limbs can be pretty good looking but yet dead or rotted inside and one will never know that until it breaks. One would also want to use not just a rope, but a rope, pulley and a winch with a brake.

Pulley reduces friction it takes to get the item in the air.

Winch with brake makes lifting effort easier plus the brake gives you some means to control the item at all times.

Think safety first..

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just find a dealer or some one who,s done this. if it cost you $500.bucks whats your life worth. better yet injuring your wife or yourself for life.always done my own maint, but not this. p.s you could rent a scaffol and slide it in place.