cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Hwy 1 Monterrey to Colombia

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Well that was a disappointment. We drove through Monterrey following the truck route that we obtained from a visit to transito last week. Not an issue at all.

Headed on Hwy 85 libre and exited from Sabinas Hidalgo to Hwy 1 via Villaldama. We wanted to avoid the drive through Nuevo Laredo and it was a mess. Hwy 1 has deteriorated to the point that I won't be driving it again. There are the usually supposed plans by the new governor to turn it into a toll road direct to Colombia.

Salinas Gotari created Colombia but the toll highway never materialized, that was over 30 years ago. There was no wait at the bridge and no trailer inspection. Travel permits for Mexicans now are done online and you still have to enter immigration and wait in line. Wasted energy and the idea is that there is no exchange of papers because of Covid.

That was funny because they still man-handle your passport, laser visa, and then exchange money (cash only) and give you a receipt 🙂

But we're in Texas and headed to Fort Davis Mountains.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
4 REPLIES 4

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:
How about 85 Libre, then NW 2 to Columbia Crossing.

Been a couple of years, but that worked for us.

Yes, longer, but completely avoided downtown Nuevo Laredo and Laredo.

That's probably the best way but since I was much younger it always seemed kind of spooky along that route. I got a ticket there once and the transito followed me to the OXXO to pay the fine.

It's kind of a mixed bag but we are taking Hwy 85 back be it the libre or toll.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
How about 85 Libre, then NW 2 to Columbia Crossing.

Been a couple of years, but that worked for us.

Yes, longer, but completely avoided downtown Nuevo Laredo and Laredo.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
Happy to hear you two are safe and sound in the USA. Not good news on Hwy1. We were thinking of maybe using it this fall. Have fun!!
JerBear
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy.

Fort Davis SP is one of our favorites.

But, then again, so is San Miguel de Allende!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/