Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Jack Failure Disaster
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Jack Failure Disaster

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Unless on level surface, 3 legs is more stable than 4.

Re-read what he said. Hence the reason cameras use tripods, milking stools have 3 legs, etc. Obviously more legs provide more support, but the more legs you have the harder it is to load them all equally. Three legs means each has to carry more weight, but they distribute that weight much easier.

Thank you

Seminoe Joe wrote:

More points of contact means more stability, especially on uneven ground.

It takes at least 3 to have any stability at all. But any more than that, must adjust the length of legs to get more than 3 points of contact. Take a 4 legged table, cut a little off 1 leg. That table will rock, depending on where you set the pitcher of beer. Now cut a little of 1 leg of a 3 legged stool. Cut enough, you can make it fall, but you will never make it rock.
3000 lb camper on 4 legs, means 750 lbs on each leg if even. On dirt, even with a 1 inch stroke, bell of hammer knocking a hole in ground. If the OP had a jack on each side, near front, a 3rd center rear, unless ground suddenly gave, very unlikely to get leaning enough to fall without real recital cranial inversion

DanLevitan

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies and the link to post pictures.

[image]

I can say the wood frame is 100% free from rot. I removed all the skin up above the windows and replaced all the bad wood last year. During my retrofit I learned a lot from reading the posts on this site from another Travel Queen restoration and know he successfully used corner jacks after beefing up the mount points which I also did. I do wish I had through bolted the brackets in hind sight. Regardless of the mounts though I know it was the twist that yanked the brackets out and preventing twist is most interesting to me. My 1968 Travel Queen is similar to an Avion in looks and age however I know little else about Avions. I don't know which end was higher when I began, although I will keep that in mind going forward. I did start lowering from the rear first which may have been a factor. In the past it seemed unavoidable to keep all four legs on the ground. There was always one leg unseated as I worked my way around. Sometimes by an inch or more. Maybe I have been retracting too much at once with an estimated two inches. I'm sure the feet didn't sink, but I didn't use anything under the feet, just dirt. I'm sure the original system was three wing mounted brackets using tripods and I am thinking about going back to it. I've jacked many aircraft with 3 points and it makes sense to me, but I have wondered if it's more stable why modern camper use 4. I saw the Stable-Lift system and thought that would be a solution till I saw the price tag. Maybe I'll weld my own system up to mimic it. Thanks again for everyone's input and I agree the most important thing is no one got hurt.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy from the pic you can't get any cleaner of a tip than that. She's all in one piece. That's great.

DanLevitan

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I think I was lucky for the round roof. When she fell, she rolled until it bumped the A/C unit and rebounded to the side again.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/22 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am confused. Was the camper being lifted off those blue pallets when it fell over? In any case the ground seems to be very uneven. The ground seems to have a considerable drop from left to right and also from front to back of the camper. I have been able to load and unload with a front to back slope but I would not want to deal with a sideways slope.

DanLevitan

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used black duct tape to seal up the skin until I can repair. It didn't even break any glass! It did snap off my sewer line so I'll have to redo Black and Gray manifold again which was a bear last time. The left rear jack folded under and crunched up my LP box pretty good. I got off very lucky.
[image]
[image]

This is shortly before the mishap. I was getting it ready for a professional paint job and had been trying out paint ideas with rattle cans. You can see the jacks still on here.
[image]

DanLevitan

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was taking it off my truck and was lowering it on the pallets. The stack was higher at the time. Gosh, I didn't think this was too sloppy but I will be more careful if this would give you pause. Here is a different view[image]

EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow; what an ordeal! [emoticon]

I guess the rounded roof prevented more destruction?

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only two things I can really see from the pics is that the front and rear jacks are at different heights which would make it off a little bit as far as wobble and strength "I would think" there is no attachment at the lower end of the rear jack. Like mine hear. The is the stabilizing factor that enables you to lean the whole camper back on the rea jacks and lift the front "In my Case" four inches higher than the rear.
[image]

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/22 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Unless on level surface, 3 legs is more stable than 4.

Re-read what he said. Hence the reason cameras use tripods, milking stools have 3 legs, etc. Obviously more legs provide more support, but the more legs you have the harder it is to load them all equally. Three legs means each has to carry more weight, but they distribute that weight much easier.

there easier to level and tram with three legs but not more stable, cameras use a tri pod because it would take for ever to get level if you had 4 legs, thankfully we dont need that kinda of persision with our campers

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Jack Failure Disaster
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.