cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taos in late April and May?

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
They say the early bird catches the worm, but I am more concerned about the risk of encountering hazardous weather and sub-zero night temperatures if I drive my 1996 Lance Legend 500 / 2003 Chevy Silverado 4WD truck camper north from Albuquerque via Santa Fe, Taos, Durango, Silverton, and Rocky Mountain national park in late april and May? Is it too early in the year to do such a trip?

In your experience, would it be deranged or quite ok to drive a truck camper up from Texas to Taos then continue north through Colorado at this time of the year?
10 REPLIES 10

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
Rio Grande del Norte near Questa was much quieter, had an excellent paved access road, great view of the gorge, camping grounds with toilets and pulloffs with roofed tables (but no hook ups) and hard but rewarding hiking paths all the way down from the top of the gorge to the bank of the river.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
My son always warned us that at night that spot is not the greatest, glad you moved on, I know there are always a lot of campers at the Walmart lot at night, and your right the view at the Gorge is wonderful, we always look for the sheep climbing the rocks.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
Overnighted at the rest stop right beside the gorge - until a local told me to be careful as there has been some rough incidents there in the past - like cars being burned at night!! - so thought it prudent to move on, even though during the day there is security, souvenir stalls, well maintained restrooms and a lot of visitors plus a stupendous view of the gorge from the bridge.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
windhorse wrote:
Greetings from Taos! Beautiful weather with cool nights and bright sunshine during the day, so am so glad that i managed with your encouragement to overcome my doubts and come - though with the fires on the other side of the horizon just now I also feel lucky my home has wheels, so I can just turn on the key and drive if the fires come closer. Much tougher for those who donโ€™t have this option.8

Very true about the fires, currently the largest active fire with a lot of folks already evacuated. Where did you end up getting a camping spot? We will be at the Taos Monte Belle campground in September on the way out to the Gorge
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings from Taos! Beautiful weather with cool nights and bright sunshine during the day, so am so glad that i managed with your encouragement to overcome my doubts and come - though with the fires on the other side of the horizon just now I also feel lucky my home has wheels, so I can just turn on the key and drive if the fires come closer. Much tougher for those who donโ€™t have this option.8

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the encouraging feedback that has given me the courage to give it a go and see what happens ????

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to Durango from Taos via US64-US84-US160 there is some high country between Tres Piedras and Chama. The road is good but ice in the shady places can surprise you on what is otherwise a sunny day. Beautiful country though. It can snow up there even in May so as suggested watch the forecast.
Turret Class traveler

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Run the propane heater when under 32F and you'll be fine IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
With climate changes and drought conditions, a lot of what used to be is very iffy nowadays. You'll just have to check the weather ahead every day so you'll know what's coming at you.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the 7-day forecast right now for Taos there are a couple of nights that will be below freezing but days warm up nicely. I think you will be fine, most ski areas just closed in New Mexico, Colorado on the other hand could still be cooler, I would go and enjoy your trip.
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.