cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah State Hwy 14 from Cedar City East to Utah 89

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Reaching out once again for those that have traveled the above route. Traveling in a Motor Home pulling a car hauler trailer. Total length around 70ft. I've used Google Maps and there is one Hair-a-pin type curve that appears very negotiable. I'd previously asked about Utah-9 from Hurricane UT over to the 89, but drove that route yesterday (in a car through Zion Canyon) and I'd not try that route at all in a motor home.
All responses are appreciated in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I crossed this area in the fall some years ago in a mini-camper (Element). Coming from the east on UT12, I picked up Ut143 at Panguitch, through lava fields to Cedar Breaks. Then north to the top of Brian Head (11200 ft). Then down through the ski resort on 143 to I15. There is a genuine 15mph S curve switchback on that descent. There's a "not recommended for trailers ahead" sign in the ski resort. Sign at the bottom says 13% grades.

Then south from Parowan to Cedar City, and west to Caliente NV and on to California.

Signs on 14 are for 8% grades.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what it is worth, we took I-15 to 20 to 89 -- smooth sailing. I avoided 14 because it was icy at the time we were traveling.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
20 is a good truck route. You are length restricted from using the rt 9 Zion tunnel.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OH we drove that last spring, late spring. The grades are steep and so was the snow near the top. Cedar Breaks was still closed. We drove it both ways. Light traffic
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for those that have responded. UT-14 with it 3800 climb in elevation and with the storm, coming in from Portland OR, 9800 elevation could (and probably will have) snow. So, I'll travel the additional 40 miles up UT-I15 and take the 20 East.
Thanks to all that responded.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Only problem as I noted on other post is steep climb out of Cedar City.
No, this is not main entrance to Zion.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
'hairpin` turns on state and federal highways are rarely any tighter than a freeway cloverleaf, or urban intersection. On the tighter ones you might cross the centerline. There are a few state roads in California that length restrictions.

The main issue with 14 would be grades. It climbs substantially from Cedar City to the Cedar Breaks turnoff. 6000 ft to 9800. UT20 further north doesn't climb as high.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's the road that runs past the Zion entrance isn't it? expect heavy traffic.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper