cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best route from Barstow to Pismo Beach, CA

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are trying to figure out the best route from Bakersfield to Pismo Beach in a 40' motorhome pulling a 22' enclosed trailer. Power and braking aren't a huge concern unless the route is very steep. The main concern is twisty, windy roads not suitable for a 66' combination.

I welcome all suggestions, especially first hand experience. Google shows taking 58 towards Bakersfield. then taking 223 to 166 to 101 at Santa Maria.
This route looks pretty twisty on the terrain map. What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance...Don
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
14 REPLIES 14

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
I have looked at Google and it does look like a fair amount of twisty curves on 58. We head to Pismo Monday morning and I'm still undecided. I'm now liking the looks of the long straights on 46. I do appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations. Monday after my coffee I'm going to have to make a decision!

Go hwy. 46. Easy route for RV's. There is a McDonalds on the edge of town for breakfast with parking on the right side of the hwy 46 with room for a big RV parking.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have looked at Google and it does look like a fair amount of twisty curves on 58. We head to Pismo Monday morning and I'm still undecided. I'm now liking the looks of the long straights on 46. I do appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations. Monday after my coffee I'm going to have to make a decision!
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked 58 on Google? From Barstow west to McKittrick is good road. West of McKittrick it is mostly two lane road with sections that are more curvy and some up and down. I certainly would drive it with our 40' bus towing if I wasn't in a hurry. I doubt you would really save that much time over using 46. On a good spring 58 is a great wildflower route.
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning towards taking 58 since it is a shorter route and also because of the comment stating that 46 has quite a bit more traffic.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
Thanks everyone. It looks like 58 or 46 is the preferred route. How much further is it to go north to 46 and then backtrack to the 101?

From 58 north on 99, it is about 15 miles.

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
It is roughly 20 miles farther to take 46 through Paso Robles. Traffic is much heavier that way also and you have the Cuesta Grade to descend southbound into San Luis Obispo.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone. It looks like 58 or 46 is the preferred route. How much further is it to go north to 46 and then backtrack to the 101?
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
58, 99, 46, 101 all good truck routes. Check fuel prices at Lost Hills, Arco usually lower.

MarkTwain - Did you mean N on 99?

Yes, north on hwy. 99 and then west on hwy 46 through Wasco to Hwy. 101, then south to Pismo.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
58, 99, 46, 101 all good truck routes. Check fuel prices at Lost Hills, Arco usually lower.

MarkTwain - Did you mean N on 99?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I find 58 interesting and have had no issues pulling my 22 foot TT. And Splash does have good chowder. The one in the City of SLO is more calm.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Barstow to Pismo
1. Go west on HWY. 58 to Bakersfield. Just keep your speed down from Tehachapi down to Bakesfield. I keep my speed down to 50 mph towing my 34' 5th wheel.
2. Go north on I-5 to Hwy 46 (Wasco) then go west straight to Hwy. 101
3. At 101 go south to Pismo.
4. Make your reservations as early as possible as the area is very popular.
Be sure and go to the Splash Cafe for the best clam chowder near the Pismo pier.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
58 is fine. I go that way 4-5 times a year pulling my 5th wheel. There are no twist or turns..... Big rigs use it all the time. It's no steeper than the Grapevine. Less, if anything. A hill of a lot less traffic than going the LA route.....

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would take 5N to 46W to 101S.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I believe 58 has a lot of twists and turns the last time I drove it years ago. I have a 36 ft Moho and at the time no toad and found it a bit too much for my comfort. Quite scenic though.