Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 626 miles on a single charge!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 626 miles on a single charge!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kelley blue book lists 3-4 miles/kWh.
Average annual miles in the USA is 14,200.
384.5 million registered vehicles in the USA.
If every vehicle is replaced with an EV, how much kWh will be needed annually?
How does this number compare to 3.8 trillion kWh of electricity consumed in 2020 in the USA?

The average American household consumes 10,715 kWh annually; if the grid cannot support the additional kWh for EVs then it also cannot support additional households that would consume the same amount of electricity (household = ~ 2 EVs).

If you’re against EVs because of the impacts on the grid you’d better be against all additional increases in electricity consumption (like increased housing); there are issues with the grid and they are not confined to just increases in consumption by EVs.

* This post was last edited 04/15/22 07:05am by BCSnob *   View edit history

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla Roadster - 620 mile range

Not yet in production. $50,000 to reserve one.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Kelley blue book lists 3-4 miles/kWh.
Average annual miles in the USA is 14,200.
384.5 million registered vehicles in the USA.
If every vehicle is replaced with an EV, how much kWh will be needed annually?
How does this number compare to 3.8 trillion kWh of electricity consumed in 2020 in the USA?

The average American household consumes 10,715 kWh annually; if the grid cannot support the additional kWh for EVs then it also cannot support additional households that would consume the same amount of electricity (household = ~ 2 EVs).

If you’re against EVs because of the impacts on the grid you’d better be against all additional increases in electricity consumption (like increased housing); there are issues with the grid and they are not confined to just increases in consumption by EVs.

BC hydro has info on their website on this. They estimate that if every personal vehicle became electric overnight the increased demand would be 19 percent greater tomorrow. They also indicate they already have that in reserve. And the reality is it’s a 25 year transition.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Real world retracing routes fuel mileage with and without AC at least fifty trips average.

HONDA

DODGE SPIRIT

Yah could be. I’m not sure an EV range is affected as much as that. At least not in my experience.

Jmho.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Real world retracing routes fuel mileage with and without AC at least fifty trips average.

HONDA

DODGE SPIRIT

Exactly, however (this from what I’ve read in years past…), due to a loss of aerodynamics when driving with the windows are down, running the air cond is essentially an energy wash…

The REAL Problem here is that the cart is ahead if the horse, policy is being driven by political gerrymandering rather than reality - Toyota is ‘drop dead’ correct, pointing out this all needs to be in the conversation…

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

I'm consuming about 1800 kwh per year, at a cost of $0.48 per day (cdn).

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’re not average [emoticon]

Question: is that power off the grid or total energy consumption (I’ll be very impressed if that is your total energy consumption, personal renewables plus grid).

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yah, that is pretty low. We are around 7000 Kw for the year....ish...more or less. Our hydro app shows by month and I’m too lazy to add it up. But that also covers charging for one electric vehicle and sometimes two.

Cheers.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, and last I checked, I got 11 MPG on my 40' DP!

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

You’re not average [emoticon]

Question: is that power off the grid or total energy consumption (I’ll be very impressed if that is your total energy consumption, personal renewables plus grid).

I spent a bundle to get down to those figures in the apartment style condo. All lighting except for the bathroom vanity is led.

It is total electrical consumption.

No heating, and no hot water--both of which are natural gas. Costs and consumption are hidden in the condo fees.

The fridge is my biggest consumer, but it has a high efficiency rating. I chose induction for the stove with resistance heating for the oven.

I do use a heat pump for cooling in the summer time. Seer rating is 27. I live in a semi arid climate and so use a fan at night to cool down the premises.

The apartment is 1100 square feet on the 2nd floor of a 1963 cindercrete block building.

Alas there is no way to add any solar. My windows are north, and west with a tall hotel to the west.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 626 miles on a single charge!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.