Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 626 miles on a single charge!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 626 miles on a single charge!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

I think the big question is wether they are using the European (NEDC) standard or EPA standard for range. EPA is tougher. There is a multiplication factor one can use to go from one to the other. Not sure what it is anymore. Used to know. .11
maybe? Not sure.

I thought this was a real life measurement--not a calculation.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/22 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I think the big question is wether they are using the European (NEDC) standard or EPA standard for range. EPA is tougher. There is a multiplication factor one can use to go from one to the other. Not sure what it is anymore. Used to know. .11
maybe? Not sure.

I thought this was a real life measurement--not a calculation.

Just re-read it. I think you are right Don. The opening paragraph certainly suggests it.
That would certainly be impressive. I noticed they said they didn’t use a cooling system though. That might be a longevity issue. Still pretty cool test.

Cheers.

* This post was edited 04/16/22 07:51am by Reisender *

d1h

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/22 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will never stop driving an ICE vehicle.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/22 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d1h wrote:

I will never stop driving an ICE vehicle.

x2

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/22 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At this time, I’d be more comfortable with a hybrid, if it was necessary for me to go EV. At least its nice to have an engine as a backup. And there wouldn’t need to be a worry about making it to the next charging station, then have to wait for the battery to charge.

BTW, I’m unclear about this. In a hybrid vehicle, does the engine charge the main battery or only its start battery? I haven’t done much investigating on EV’s as I prefer to keep my fairly new Toyota Sienna for a while, which is also set up for my handicap. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/22 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

At this time, I’d be more comfortable with a hybrid, if it was necessary for me to go EV. At least its nice to have an engine as a backup. And there wouldn’t need to be a worry about making it to the next charging station, then have to wait for the battery to charge.

BTW, I’m unclear about this. In a hybrid vehicle, does the engine charge the main battery or only its start battery? I haven’t done much investigating on EV’s as I prefer to keep my fairly new Toyota Sienna for a while, which is also set up for my handicap. [emoticon]

Howdy Mr Ed.

There are two types of hybrid systems.

Serial , like a Chevy Volt or BMW i3 hybrid. Gas engine acts as a generator and charges the battery only. Neither are in production anymore.

Parallel like a Toyota Prius. Both the electric motor and gas motor are connected to the drive train. There are quite a few manufacturers producing these all the hybrid sales are dropping off. They are a relatively small portion of the Electric vehicle market. They definitely serve a market segment though. Not for us but they work for many.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/22 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender,

I believe the volt had a linkage from the engine to the rear wheels. I thought that was a real swindle.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/22 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

At this time, I’d be more comfortable with a hybrid, if it was necessary for me to go EV.

My point of view is that the hybrid has all the disadvantages of ICE and few of the benefits of BEV.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/22 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla's semi-trucks are coming out now too. Massive batteries. A bit more payload. And likely no more piling up behind them at 35mph on hills.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 626 miles on a single charge!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.