cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antelope Canyon

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
This coming fall we plan to visit Antelope Canyon and surrounding area. We haven't been there before. If you have been there please clue us in on what you enjoyed the most, times of year to go there, different things to see, places to camp etc.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
6 REPLIES 6

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Lone Rock CG being nice.....as long as you are looking for dispersion camping.

The Nat. Park CG at Lee's Ferry is nice (and there is a free dump station nearby)

Horseshoe Bend is OK I guess. But if you go down to Lees Ferry, you can get a boat ride up to the dam (it's called a "backhaul") where you can put your own kayaks (if you have them) in and then float downstream, right through Horseshoe Bend, back to Lee's Ferry. Stop in at Marble Cyn Lodge to arrange this. Also, when you cross the bridge (Navajo Bridge), there is a visitor center. Condors are often seen under the bridge there.

About 20 miles West of Marble Canyon is a gravel road called House Rock Valley Road that goes north. A couple miles North on this road takes you to a Condor Viewing area. You will need binoculars (or a spotting scope) and patience, but you'll probably see condors. If you have a solid four wheel drive vehicle, you can check out White Pocket a little further up HRVR. Looks like The Wave....without the "impossible to get" permit required. Deep sand out there so be careful. There are tour companies that will take you out there from Page if you prefer to not tempt fate. A bit further north on HRVR (about 5 miles past the turn off's for White Pocket) is a cool pictograph panel. Large parking area so you can't miss it, then it's only about a 3/4 mile hike on an easy trail starting on the other side of the road.

Behind (on the N. Side) of Lake Powell is pretty neat (and very remote) too.

You could easily spend a life time there and not scratch the surface.

Have fun,

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
You must take a tour to see Antelope Slot Canyon. Prebook with one of these tour guides. It's a very busy tourist attraction.
Tour Operators
I wouldn't book with a third party.
Upper AC involves a couple mile bumpy Jeep ride, then you walk straight into the canyon at sandy floor level. Used to be out and back, but they've now built a series of ramps and steps to exit up and around the canyon back to the vehicle.
Lower AC involves a short walk, then you descend a long set of stairs down into the canyon. Exiting up through a crack to parking lot level. Lower involves just a bit more squeezing and scrambling through, but nothing a reasonably able person couldn't do. It's not really necessary to do both. You will be sufficiently awed by one.

As far as I know, the only RV parks with hookups are Wahweap by Lake Powell and Page Lake Powell Campground in the town of Page. By the lake is nice, being in town will get you closer to other sites. There is also boondocking on the sandy beach (for a fee) at Lone Rock Beach. Better be careful there.

You can do Horseshoe Bend Overlook on your own. It's free, but parking costs I think $10.

The float trip down the river is a big hit. There is only one company authorized to do this. See here:
Rafting

If the Visitors Center and tour at Glen Canyon Dam ever open again, those are interesting. I don't know the status right now.

I like the Dam Overlook off Scenic View Rd. Also Wahweap Overlook (especially at sunset) off Hwy 89 north of the dam.

You say you are going in fall, but then you ask for best time of year. Huh? Fall is good!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
From memory (also been awhile):

Upper canyon is way more popular than lower (be prepared for crowds)- but it is deeper and is famous for the light beams you have likely seen in photos, although they are only present during certain times of the day, generally April to October-ish.

Tours are getting pricey, and require a pre-booking.

Horseshoe Bend, depending on time of year and weather, be prepared for in-your-face bugs, like a lot. Walk to viewpoint from parking is reasonably short, but seems longer if you have to fight the bugs along the way.

Camping, we stayed at Wahweap, which is around the lake, clockwise, from Page. Nice, clean place, with good view of lake. Also close to boat rentals.

Haven't been there in awhile, but apparently the lake has dropped considerably. Others may advise current status. Some great photo spots around the lake which show the color striations along the shoreline.

Marv

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While it has been awhile, here is a link to my Upper Antelope Canyon Photo tour. It also has a link to a tour of the Lower Antelope Canyon. I know they have stopped the photo tours, and there are probably many changes, but I'd do my best to visit off season (when ever that is) since it can be very crowded.

While there check out Horseshoe Bend.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Tour the canyon early to get the most colorful photos. You need to set your camera properly to capture the colors. My wife's iPhone did a horrible job capturing the colors, my Android did excellent.

Horseshoe Bend is close by
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
That is near Clear Creek, isn't it?