Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Replacement window
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacement window

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://rvwindow.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=238

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/22 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great advise on the after market window places. I will pursue that route and see what I can find. Thanks guys, I love this forum!

2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/22 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I got a price from on aftermarket company, $2,185.00. I guess I wasn't surprised but that's crazy. Still trying to figure something out.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/22 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azbohunter wrote:

So I got a price from on aftermarket company, $2,185.00. I guess I wasn't surprised but that's crazy. Still trying to figure something out.

Which is why I mentioned to make sure you are sitting down for the price [emoticon]

The odds of you finding the exact window size in used is pretty dismal at best.

Most windows are spec built to the RV manufacturers design requirements and are not typically off the shelf sizes. When that model yr is over excess inventory is often sold off to a third party surplus re seller. RV manufacturers purchasing department if they done their homework correctly should have very little excess inventory to sell off at the end of that models life.

So, basically options are to find any and all RV junk yards and check what they have or make a trip to say Elkhart Ind and rummage through the surplus warehouses like my friend does.. Most of these places do not have an inventory list nor will they ship things like windows due to shipping damages.

You most likely are not going to find an exact fit or style and may need to consider a slightly larger window as long as you have the space to enlarge the rough opening. A smaller window would mean you would have to come up with some means of trimming out the opening smaller.

The easiest way is to swallow the bitter price of a custom made aftermarket window which would fit right in with no modifications to the opening needed.

You can check RVPARTSNATION.COM to see if they have windows, this is one that I bought from yrs ago but it was reported about a yr ago they were closed.. The Website is up so perhaps the closing was temporary?

"By Phone at (574)264-5575
Mon-Wed 9am - 5pm
Thursday 10am - 5pm
Fri 9am - 5pm
Sat-Sun Closed"

They are in Elkhart Indiana so time zone differences may apply and you may need to apply some patience as they may be slow at getting to your call or email..

They most likely not be able to tell you what sizes they have in stock, but perhaps they can tell you if they have windows.. If so, plan a trip and hunt through their warehouses..

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/22 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remedied the problem, I sold the rig and bought a two year old Artic Fox.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/22 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azbohunter wrote:

[emoticon]

Seems like an extreme way to "fix" the problem?

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/22 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

azbohunter wrote:

[emoticon]

My previous rig was 20 years old, had lots and lots of miles on it and we spend 4 to 5 months in it every years. It gets used...If I could have found replacement windows we might still have it but time was right!

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/22 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azbohunter wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

azbohunter wrote:

[emoticon]

My previous rig was 20 years old, had lots and lots of miles on it and we spend 4 to 5 months in it every years. It gets used...If I could have found replacement windows we might still have it but time was right!

Mine was 30yrs old when I bought it with a broken window.

Local home and business glass shop told me to remove the window frame and bring to them.

Took frame to my local home and business glass shop, they matched the glass color, then cut the glass to size, then sent glass out to have it tempered, once they got the glass back they installed into the frame. I reinstalled the frame with fresh glass in the window opening.

Glass shop at that time (10 yrs or so ago) charged me a whole $50 for a 3' by 2' piece of glass including the Tempering and installation into the frame. Took about 1 week to get new glass.

I still think yours may have been able to be replaced for a more reasonable cost than what you were quoted but that was your choice.

Glad you are happy with your latest rig.

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/22 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

azbohunter wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

azbohunter wrote:

[emoticon]

Mine was 30yrs old when I bought it with a broken window.

Local home and business glass shop told me to remove the window frame and bring to them.

Took frame to my local home and business glass shop, they matched the glass color, then cut the glass to size, then sent glass out to have it tempered, once they got the glass back they installed into the frame. I reinstalled the frame with fresh glass in the window opening.

Glass shop at that time (10 yrs or so ago) charged me a whole $50 for a 3' by 2' piece of glass including the Tempering and installation into the frame. Took about 1 week to get new glass.

I still think yours may have been able to be replaced for a more reasonable cost than what you were quoted but that was your choice.

Glad you are happy with your latest rig.

I had 2 jealousy window sections fall out (sections of a 3 section window) . Frame and all. Contacting Hehr they no longer make that window, not were parts for it even available.
As I said, we spend up to 5 months in our rig, and it was 20 years old. I felt that it owed us nothing and we are really enjoying something newer. It was a choice that we are happy with!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacement window
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.