Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Crazy static pop while waxing/cleaning motorhome
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Crazy static pop while waxing/cleaning motorhome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/22 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I"m still waiting on him to get back with the Three Light Test.

OH I had a trailer once where the prior owner swapped the hot and neutral wires.

Yup. it zapped me

I fixed. (You hook the lighter color wire to the bright screw and the darker wire to the copper screw.. I mean how hard is that to screw up. Green to green in case you wonder about that one.... Well..... story 2 follows.

Finally got central air installed when they went to charge it fuses -a- popping. Turns out the kid who wired it... Black wire to green screw and the other way around.... (HOT to Ground short)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/22 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your house circuit the ground and neutral circuits are tied together in the main electrical panel. IF the OP had his coach plugged in with a power cord that included hot, neutral, and ground wires, this effectively grounds the coach. IF the power cord did not include all of the necessary wires, the ground could be open because in an RV the neutral and ground wires are not tied together in the electrical panel.
A static shock is a one time thing that dissipates the voltage (usually very high voltage) in a split second. It can return if you are away from the coach and allow the static charge to build up. But once a static shock happens, you should be able to hold your hand on that surface with no discomfort. If the shock or tingle persists, then there is electrical power that is involved coming from the house circuit and needs to be corrected before someone gets hurt.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Crazy static pop while waxing/cleaning motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.