cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US23 Between Toledo and Flint

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are heading from Southern Indiana to the west coast of Lake Huron north of Saginaw Bay pulling the 5th wheel. Normally do I69 to Flint and catch I75 there. Google says there is a closure on I69 and recommends going to Toledo and taking US23 north from there.

Never been on the road. From Google, it looks like a four lane limited access. Any input? Thanks!
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
6 REPLIES 6

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
jkwilson wrote:
We are heading from Southern Indiana to the west coast of Lake Huron north of Saginaw Bay pulling the 5th wheel. Normally do I69 to Flint and catch I75 there. Google says there is a closure on I69 and recommends going to Toledo and taking US23 north from there.

Never been on the road. From Google, it looks like a four lane limited access. Any input? Thanks!

If you haven't left yet...

I drove the I-69 route today from 20 miles south of I-94 all the way to Flint, and while it's under construction, it's not a bad drive. You'll be down to one lane in several places but I left at about 9am, and returned about 3pm.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
In England they drive on the left of the road. In Michigan they drive on what's left of the road.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful north of I-94. Especially in the morning with all the traffic going to UoM and VA medical centers. Watch your lanes as you connect to M14 little further north and disconnect from M14.

I've driven that section a million times and I'm not positive on the first one, but I think the right lane ends, and then I know for sure the left lane ends when M14 splits back off.

The I96 US23 interchange a little further north is HUGE, but not an issue. Did did some collector lane work, but more so on I-96. Not a travel issue, just an amazing series of roads.

Adding one other thing that probably won't impact you, police around Cabela's love tagging speeders.

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I went through there April 11th. First 10 miles are bad. Do not drive in the right lane, it is terrible. Pavement is better after that.
toolmaker

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they have repaved the first 20 miles from the border the road is like it's bombed out. It's rough to say the least. Was through there last year and OMG, worst road I've been on in a long time. Go slower than the speed limit. You will bounce everything out of the cupboards if it's not packed well. Make sure things in the refrigerator are securely in place too.

Other than that it is 4 lane divided expressway so no issues there. Pay attention at Ann Arbor because 23 merges on the left with MI 14 so you have 2 miles to get to the right to make the interchange to continue north on 23. If you miss it you will end up going around downtown Ann Arbor and dump onto 94.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem. It's basically an expressway.