cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Be careful with engine block heaters

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - The Reno Fire Department released new details following a house fire near Wooster High School.

It happened Monday, April 18, 2022 around 10:45 p.m. at 1570 Clemson Drive.

Fire investigators determined the fire likely started at the exterior wall from an engine block heater and spread to the house through juniper brush that was up against the house.

Firefighters rescued two adults. Both were taken to Renown. A woman is in critical condition, and a male has moderate to severe injuries, the fire department said.

The Reno Fire Department warns against planting shrubs too close to your home, especially ones that are dry and have dead needles that can easily ignite and burn. The Reno Fire Department recommends spacing smaller evergreen shrubs at least 10 feet from your exterior wall and larger evergreen trees 30 feet from your exterior wall.

A fire started in the area of Clemson Road and Duke Way near Wooster High School Monday night.
A fire started in the area of Clemson Road and Duke Way near Wooster High School Monday night.(Dan Pyke |

None of my trucks have block heaters. This info is for others. Cheers

https://www.kolotv.com/2022/04/19/house-fire/

file:///C:/Users/medev/OneDrive/Pictures/Reno%20house%20fire%20photo.webp
38 REPLIES 38

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would anyone use a block heater in Reno?
Because it is going to snow next week. May 9-13.

aboxerdad
Explorer
Explorer
My sister's 3 or 4 year old Chevy 2500 burned up due to a block heater fire just over a year ago. This was after the truck had been in to the dealership to deal with the recall that was out to prevent block heater fires. the fire started in the engine bay and thankfully they back their vehicles into the driveway so the house wasn't damaged.

It wasn't the extension cord or the ends. On those trucks there is an outlet in the front bumper to plug into. And the fire originated in the engine bay.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't blame the block heater, I would blame the extension cord. If you are just using a residential electric cord plugged into a regular wall outlet that was most likely the problem. I was an electrician for 48 years. I saw this at a trucking company I worked for. There was no strain relief for the cord and over a period of time they started arching which caused the outlet and extension cord to melt. I finally convinced them to install twist lock plugs and that solved the problem.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It doesnโ€™t take much current to start a fire if the cord or outlet or wiring is faulty. Think how hot a 100 W light bulb gets on less than one amp. Coincidentally a house in our neighborhood suffered a major fire two weeks ago. Fire inspector determined it started in an outlet in the garage. I did not find out what, if anything, was plugged in at the time.

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
****, some of these people on here are pretty dog gone amazing! They can see a picture and tell what started the fire. The fire investigators must be bilking the rest of us, no hands on needed by the pros on here.

This isn't about doubting the fire investigator it is about piss poor reporting as is commonplace in our news cycle. The resulting comments here were speculating on what really happened since the reporter couldn't find the gumption to find out and explain what really happened.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
So what does an expert say about fires caused by block heaters?

Block Heater Fires โ€“ How to stay safe this winter
By Daniel Kabaroff, P.Eng., CFEI

Electrical plug for heater
Extension cord used to plug in heater
Damage to wiring caused by pulling on electrical plug for heater
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
****, some of these people on here are pretty dog gone amazing! They can see a picture and tell what started the fire. The fire investigators must be bilking the rest of us, no hands on needed by the pros on here.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your appreciation in my posting a news story about a safety issue to help others and keep them safe. No good deed goes unpunished. Trying to be helpful to others brings only

Some like to shoot the messenger if the story is not popular to them and for the uneducated Reno is high desert country of 4500ft where night time temperatures get down well below freezing not only in winter but also early spring so therefore some Reno diesel owners felt need for block heaters to you knuckle heads.

In the photo in the news story the truck appeared to be a GM diesel and they are on recent safety recall for block heater fire hazard. Too bad SAT.

I have no need for or desire to own a diesel but I do thank all of you for being generous taxpayers for supporting my fishing, hiking and camping etc. Life is very good indeed for this 75 year old. No serious health issues to interfere with the good times. I could care less about CAN

I think the issue is block heater caused fire. I think the story would be more accurate, and more helpful if it said the extension cord caused the fire. A 100 ft, 16 gauge cord, the electricity will just dribble out the end. A motor is likely to overheat because of low voltage, but resistance heater, like a block heater just will not get hot, but cord will.

I also question why block heater was plugged in in mild weather. If injuries where not reported I would wonder if the real cause of fire was a overheated insurance policy.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
shum02 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Iโ€™m unfamiliar with block heaters. How much power do they draw, JR?

I don't know for sure. I had mine hooked to a timer, only on for couple hours in morning. Often the cord, (25 ft, 12 gauge) would melt ice/snow around it.

Mine draws about 800 watts. Been using it 15 years without issue but why would you even bother to turn it on if it's not even below freezing?

When we had our 2001 Ram CTD, I would use the Block Heater, when it got down to about 40 degrees. Having the engine preheated greatly reduced the Can Of Bolts rattle on startup. I was just being a good neighbor.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beating your own chest can break ribs.
Puma 30RKSS

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the block heater itself that is faulty it is the male plug on the cord, it will short out and cause some arcing. Happened on my 03 duramax and I just simply replaced the male end, no more issues. Purchased a new duramax in 2017 and shortly after the recall came out, same thing the male end of the cord, I have not had any issues with it yet. Have a 2020 F550 with the same heater and cord, so far no issues from it either.

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Wade44 wrote:
You have to have a higher IQ than the heater.

Thank you Ohio I am very proud of my high IQ as a retired Financial and Tax account, SEC CFP, FAA and British highly rated advanced license Airline Transport IFR pilot and Instrument Flight Instructor pilot on many types of Army and Civilian twin engine helicopters, etc. with many years flying overseas in SE Asia and ME after Vietnam Army volunteer Medevac pilot duties saving lives under fire in 1970.

In 1980 saved over 1000 Vietnamese boat people in South China Sea flying as volunteer solo helicopter pilot for the UN. Later received the UN Humanitarian Certificate. Refugees sent to Germany and not your so . Anything else df? IFSSFY.

https://www.facebook.com/498thDustoffUnarmedandAlone/

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot/?pnref=lhc.recent

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot/photos/2796202967156571

Thanks for your service, not sure what set you off though as my post was not directed at you.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread took a turn for the weirderโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for your appreciation in my posting a news story about a safety issue to help others and keep them safe. No good deed goes unpunished. Trying to be helpful to others brings only

Some like to shoot the messenger if the story is not popular to them and for the uneducated Reno is high desert country of 4500ft where night time temperatures get down well below freezing not only in winter but also early spring so therefore some Reno diesel owners felt need for block heaters to you knuckle heads.

In the photo in the news story the truck appeared to be a GM diesel and they are on recent safety recall for block heater fire hazard. Too bad SAT.

I have no need for or desire to own a diesel but I do thank all of you for being generous taxpayers for supporting my fishing, hiking and camping etc. Life is very good indeed for this 75 year old. No serious health issues to interfere with the good times. I could care less about CAN