Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Be careful with engine block heaters
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful with engine block heaters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/22 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

I’m unfamiliar with block heaters. How much power do they draw, JR?

I don't know for sure. I had mine hooked to a timer, only on for couple hours in morning. Often the cord, (25 ft, 12 gauge) would melt ice/snow around it.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/22 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

I’m unfamiliar with block heaters. How much power do they draw, JR?

I don't know for sure. I had mine hooked to a timer, only on for couple hours in morning. Often the cord, (25 ft, 12 gauge) would melt ice/snow around it.

Not a one size fits all. Kind of as needed per engine, but can be 400-1,000 watts, with 650 watts an average.

Jerry

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/22 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive never used block heater even at minus 30 in winter and truck starts on first click every time.

Of course any damaged electrical cord could potentialy start a fire.
Keep it away from flamable materials.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/22 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Why would you need a block heater in Reno? I use mine in Alberta during the cold times.
I guess anything can happen, but seems like a long shot for a block heater to start a fire.

FYI, your second link points to a file on your own local hard drive.

Sorry a true news story and quote from Reno, Nevada fire department upset your day sport. I know nothing about block heaters. But have a nice day anyway.

The recent GM recall on diesel trucks with block heaters fire hazard support both the news story and Reno FD.

My second link was photo of the incident as appeared on TV news site.

Anything else D

Wade44

Ohio Farm Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/22 02:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to have a higher IQ than the heater.

2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/22 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wade44 wrote:

You have to have a higher IQ than the heater.

Thank you Ohio I am very proud of my high IQ as a retired Financial and Tax account, SEC CFP, FAA and British highly rated advanced license Airline Transport IFR pilot and Instrument Flight Instructor pilot on many types of Army and Civilian twin engine helicopters, etc. with many years flying overseas in SE Asia and ME after Vietnam Army volunteer Medevac pilot duties saving lives under fire in 1970.

In 1980 saved over 1000 Vietnamese boat people in South China Sea flying as volunteer solo helicopter pilot for the UN. Later received the UN Humanitarian Certificate. Refugees sent to Germany and not your so . Anything else df? IFSSFY.

https://www.facebook.com/498thDustoffUnarmedandAlone/

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot/?pnref=lhc.recent

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot/photos/2796202967156571

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/22 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Most block heaters, the element is submerged in non-flammable liquid, inside a metal container. The heater can't start a fire. OTOH, they do draw a lot of power. If plugged into most cords, the cord and connections can get pretty hot. Add the fact that many people like to keep the cord coiled up, I can see a dry bush catching fire.

this is truth. However many homes today are made with those )@#[email protected])#([email protected] Unibox/quickbox type outlets like used in an RV

if the block heater is over 10 amps. it can draw enough current to melt the outlet and start a fire.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/22 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Why would you need a block heater in Reno? I use mine in Alberta during the cold times.
I guess anything can happen, but seems like a long shot for a block heater to start a fire.

Sorry a true news story and quote from Reno, Nevada fire department upset your day sport. I know nothing about block heaters. But have a nice day anyway.

The recent GM recall on diesel trucks with block heaters fire hazard support both the news story and Reno FD.

Anything else D

Well you are in Reno, what was the temperature that evening. Many block heaters are thermostatically activated and the temperature needs to be below a certain point.
Yes, GM does have a recall on some block heaters, they do draw a bit of power, so a decent sized cord needs to be used.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/22 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Anything else D

Sorry you took it wrong, my post was merely commenting, why would you need a block heater in Reno? Reason is that you only need a block heater in cold climates and it does not get that cold in Reno, IMO.
I'm not doubting it's a true news story. Seems there ought to be more details though....
And I was just letting you know that the link posted points to your own computer. The pic has to be hosted somewhere. Just politely trying to help you out there. [emoticon]

The purpose of a block heater is to warm the engine a bit prior to starting it. It does help if it's minus 20.

Upset my day? Nope, doesn't bother me a bit chum! [emoticon]

The power demand from a block heater does vary, and you should always use a 14ga cord, the same gauge as house wiring feeding the plug. Some people use small gauge cords, a no-no. This can lead to excessive heat from the draw exceeding the cords rating, and also heat at the plug.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/22 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good reply Uncle Bob! Bob is a [emoticon] dude, and gave good info on cord size!

I see so many folks that are using way too light of cord, and way too long for the load carried. Not just for block heaters, as we've all noticed the guy running a 100' 16g cord to his RV, while trying to run AC and other. [emoticon]

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful with engine block heaters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.