Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Turbo car engine in mountains
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Turbo car engine in mountains

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You better get a head start or that turbo will be waiting for you. Your motor will be starving for Ox at those altitudes.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/22 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

The 2017 Lincoln's turbo is water cooled. The cooling continues after it's turned off by water coolant thermal siphoning.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. I figured that the auto makers had done something to solve the problems early turbo’s had, just wanted to know what. My advice to my friend is that in his normal driving do not worry about it. But when we climb the Eisenhower tunnel, or one of the few other really high and long climb passes we will be going over, not to shut it off immediately at the top. I will not be shutting ours off either as the exhaust manifold on both cars will likely be pretty hot. Just using “an abundance of caution” as a popular saying goes.

Thanks again for all the input and info.

George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/22 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We converted a Transit cargo van with an Ecoboost (turbo) motor - and proceeded to drive every road we could find that was length-limited, like the "Going-to-the-Sun" Rd in Glacier, plus the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Scenic byways. Basically pretended to be mountain goats.

Our usual style is to climb some amazing peak, then stop and take photos. Never gave a second thought to the motor - it did just fine :-)

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/22 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Audi turbo has an after run electric pump that continues to circulate coolant after the engine shuts down. The Lincoln might have the same thing

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/22 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven turbos exclusively since 2001, when we bought a VW Jetta turbo diesel. We’ve also had a 2005 Jeep Liberty turbo diesel, and now a2012 BMW turbo diesel. All told, I’ve put around 400,000 miles on these vehicles. I’ve driven them both towing and not towing over the Rockies several times as well as up and down slopes as high as 15% grade.

The OP’s friend does not need to stop at the top and idle to cool off. The Lincoln will not only roar up heights and slopes better, easier, and probably faster than OP’s normally aspirated car, it’ll cool off quickly coasting down the backside. Modern cars, ie anything made since about model year 2000 coasts in gear with fuel to the engine shut off to suck every possible mpg out of the engine. This will result in cooling the turbo, engine, and exhaust system from within as well as without. It’ll cool off faster than sitting idling both because of exterior air flow but also because “the fire is out.”

Now, if for some crazy reason, they decide to stop at the top, it would be wise to idle for a few minutes to let things cool off, having just charged up the slope. But such a stop for the purpose of cooling is not necessary, and actually counter productive.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Turbo car engine in mountains
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.