cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential Fridge battery run time

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are variables involved here on the manufacturer of the fridge, battery etc... But for those of you that have one assuming the standard group 27 battery the dealer gives you - how long can you run that fridge on just the battery?

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K
64 REPLIES 64

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
JimK-NY wrote:
"1200 watts solar, 3kw inverter/charger, LiFePo 618 AH batteries" and still thinking of adding another 400 watts of solar. Wow that is some expense just for running a refrigerator.

Just "gravy". I think we could get by with half of what we have. But more panels is sort of like more horsepower-you don't need it but it's nice to have if you want it.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Cptnvideo wrote:
My signature shows the "missing" info.
And, yes I can go more than a few days, but it's nice to be "topped off", just in case.

Sorry. I did not look down. Thanks.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
"1200 watts solar, 3kw inverter/charger, LiFePo 618 AH batteries" and still thinking of adding another 400 watts of solar. Wow that is some expense just for running a refrigerator.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
My signature shows the "missing" info.
And, yes I can go more than a few days, but it's nice to be "topped off", just in case.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Cptnvideo wrote:
After buying our new fiver, then adding solar, LFP batteries, and 3k inverter (see signature) we opted to replace the RV fridge (which was having issues) with a 20 cf Whirlpool res fridge. We are on our 4th day of boondocking and here are the results.
Solar charged to 99% state of charge at end of 1st day.
Solar charged to 96% SOC at end of 2nd day.
So it looks like we will need to run the genny once every 4 or 5 days for an hour or two. Or we might add another 400 watts of solar.

What is missing is how much battery AH you currently have and how many watts solar you currently have. Since LFP can be used down to 5% SOC, I would think you could easily go for a couple weeks, with current setup and usage.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
After buying our new fiver, then adding solar, LFP batteries, and 3k inverter (see signature) we opted to replace the RV fridge (which was having issues) with a 20 cf Whirlpool res fridge. We are on our 4th day of boondocking and here are the results.
Solar charged to 99% state of charge at end of 1st day.
Solar charged to 96% SOC at end of 2nd day.
So it looks like we will need to run the genny once every 4 or 5 days for an hour or two. Or we might add another 400 watts of solar.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
willald wrote:

That, and itโ€™s much less prone to become a fire hazard like absorption refrigerators are known to when they get a few years on them.

Lol, ok buddy...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr. ed wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
The nice thing about a residential fridge is they only take a couple of hours to cool down.

B.O.

Another nice thing about a residential fridge is that it isn't as fussy about leveling like an absorption unit is.

That, and itโ€™s much less prone to become a fire hazard like absorption refrigerators are known to when they get a few years on them.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s ok guys. We are supposed to wait until austinjenna comes back with more questions and confusion as she or he simply wanted to know how long 1 typical rv battery would last in 1 situation only.
Stay tuned for more later. Lol.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
austinjenna wrote:
Doubt you'll get a new camper with a residential fridge and 1 battery, but in general, OE power and a residential compressor fridge is still a poor combination.
I know you think you have just a specific short term situation that you will need to run off of an inverter, but it's quite possible that you're not considering all scenarios. You only travel an hour or 2? Charging while traveling? Run onboard genny or install a heavy duty dc dc charger?

I'm not even sure what you are talking about. If you read my initial post I was wondering how long it would run on 1 battery because currently with my gas/electric fridge I start it up the night before in the storage lot then the next morning when I bring it home its cold, then load cold items into it and done.

I was wondering if I could do the same thing with a residential fridge and it seems from the responses the answer is no unless I add more batteries.

My storage lot is 2 miles from my house, so picking it up, turning on the fridge, it will not cool down in the 5 minute ride home to start stocking it up.

I know the batteries charge while driving.

Yes, that is evident. I was attempting to think ahead to more than just the pre-cooling of your fridge and a more realistic setup of what you could expect in a new camper.
But simple questions beget simple answers. And sooner or later youโ€™ll learn some of the other aspects, like โ€œhow muchโ€ your truck charges the camper while driving. And other things that will help you understand what affects what.
In the meantime, my apologies.
1 battery wonโ€™t run a resi compressor fridge very long.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
The nice thing about a residential fridge is they only take a couple of hours to cool down.

B.O.

Another nice thing about a residential fridge is that it isn't as fussy about leveling like an absorption unit is.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm joking JR...Jerry (me) does not block anyone, in fact I enjoy reading almost everyone's posts, especially Grit's!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I must be blocked so my replies don't get thru

You guessed it JR!! Here is a member blocking you, as you type!

"blocking members is a blessing" Lol

Jerry

I understand that Jerry will not see this. I have to wonder though. If somebody is looking for a solution to a problem why would you want to limit who could give ideas? Even if it is a bad idea, thinking about why it is bad might give you a better one.
If the only time OP is worried about not having enough battery power is to pre-cool the fridge does it make sense to spend for, and haul around more battery? I bet most people on this site have iced down a cooler full of food/drinks. A bucket of ice in fridge overnight, then pack with cold food sounds like not much more hassle than turning it on the night before.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
I must be blocked so my replies don't get thru

You guessed it JR!! Here is a member blocking you, as you type!

"blocking members is a blessing" Lol

Jerry