Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Residential Fridge battery run time
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Residential Fridge battery run time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

I would suggest upgrading your charger to a Progressive Dynamics that has the option to bulk charge anytime. Even if your batteries drop down 30-40% a standard WFCO won't bulk at more than 13.6-8. You waste a lot of time trying to quick charge at 13.6.

Not sure who this was directed to, but in my case, putting in a PD converter would be not only a huge down grade and not very smart, it would also be nearly impossible without redoing much of the electrical system.

Our RV has the Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 Inverter/charger unit.

not sure I would agree with you on that one. Xantrex is a upgrade from WFCO, but I wouldnt say a upgrad over PD. but since you chose to go with a inverter/charger all on one unit I wouldnt change if I were you either. PD would be a quality upgrade on the actual parts but like you said not worth it in your case.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/22 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I must be blocked so my replies don't get thru

[image]

You guessed it JR!! Here is a member blocking you, as you type!

"blocking members is a blessing" Lol

Jerry

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I must be blocked so my replies don't get thru

[image]

You guessed it JR!! Here is a member blocking you, as you type!

"blocking members is a blessing" Lol

Jerry

I understand that Jerry will not see this. I have to wonder though. If somebody is looking for a solution to a problem why would you want to limit who could give ideas? Even if it is a bad idea, thinking about why it is bad might give you a better one.
If the only time OP is worried about not having enough battery power is to pre-cool the fridge does it make sense to spend for, and haul around more battery? I bet most people on this site have iced down a cooler full of food/drinks. A bucket of ice in fridge overnight, then pack with cold food sounds like not much more hassle than turning it on the night before.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/22 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm joking JR...Jerry (me) does not block anyone, in fact I enjoy reading almost everyone's posts, especially Grit's!

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

The nice thing about a residential fridge is they only take a couple of hours to cool down.

B.O.

Another nice thing about a residential fridge is that it isn't as fussy about leveling like an absorption unit is.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

Quote:

Doubt you'll get a new camper with a residential fridge and 1 battery, but in general, OE power and a residential compressor fridge is still a poor combination.
I know you think you have just a specific short term situation that you will need to run off of an inverter, but it's quite possible that you're not considering all scenarios. You only travel an hour or 2? Charging while traveling? Run onboard genny or install a heavy duty dc dc charger?

I'm not even sure what you are talking about. If you read my initial post I was wondering how long it would run on 1 battery because currently with my gas/electric fridge I start it up the night before in the storage lot then the next morning when I bring it home its cold, then load cold items into it and done.

I was wondering if I could do the same thing with a residential fridge and it seems from the responses the answer is no unless I add more batteries.

My storage lot is 2 miles from my house, so picking it up, turning on the fridge, it will not cool down in the 5 minute ride home to start stocking it up.

I know the batteries charge while driving.

Yes, that is evident. I was attempting to think ahead to more than just the pre-cooling of your fridge and a more realistic setup of what you could expect in a new camper.
But simple questions beget simple answers. And sooner or later you’ll learn some of the other aspects, like “how much” your truck charges the camper while driving. And other things that will help you understand what affects what.
In the meantime, my apologies.
1 battery won’t run a resi compressor fridge very long.

* This post was edited 04/30/22 01:41pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s ok guys. We are supposed to wait until austinjenna comes back with more questions and confusion as she or he simply wanted to know how long 1 typical rv battery would last in 1 situation only.
Stay tuned for more later. Lol.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/22 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

B.O. Plenty wrote:

The nice thing about a residential fridge is they only take a couple of hours to cool down.

B.O.

Another nice thing about a residential fridge is that it isn't as fussy about leveling like an absorption unit is.

That, and it’s much less prone to become a fire hazard like absorption refrigerators are known to when they get a few years on them.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

That, and it’s much less prone to become a fire hazard like absorption refrigerators are known to when they get a few years on them.

Lol, ok buddy...

Cptnvideo

Arizona - most of the time

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/22 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After buying our new fiver, then adding solar, LFP batteries, and 3k inverter (see signature) we opted to replace the RV fridge (which was having issues) with a 20 cf Whirlpool res fridge. We are on our 4th day of boondocking and here are the results.
Solar charged to 99% state of charge at end of 1st day.
Solar charged to 96% SOC at end of 2nd day.
So it looks like we will need to run the genny once every 4 or 5 days for an hour or two. Or we might add another 400 watts of solar.

* This post was edited 05/09/22 01:07pm by Cptnvideo *

Bill & Linda
Arizona
2019 Dodge Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel
Hensley Trailer Saver BD5 hitch
2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
1200 watts solar, 3kw inverter/charger, 3 206AH LiFePo4 batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Residential Fridge battery run time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.