cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel through Atlanta

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Next month we are traveling from Florida to Tennessee using I-75. I was thinking of timing our drive through Atlanta early on a Saturday or a Sunday morning. Is one better than the other?
20 REPLIES 20

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
ken56 wrote:
It's roll the dice with that. Be patient is all and hope for the best. I refuse to go through ATL any more. I go around on 441. Yes. it's slower and through small towns but so much less stressful.

Same here-- 441
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bgum wrote:
Atlanta area drivers follow too close and drive too fast for the conditions. They also change lanes too often. I seriously doubt many could pass a driving test. I've been going through Atlanta since the late 60s. It has steadily grown worse and now I refuse that route.

Amazing the driving styles how they change geographically! Never been to ATL and Iโ€™d consider Seattle drivers near top of the list for bad drivers, but from a totally different aspect.
Here, itโ€™s drive too slow and canโ€™t pry a left lane loafer from their lane with anything less than an air horn or light bar, depending on time of day! Lol.
Even our rural freeways in this state are chock full of left lane loafers. I clocked at least 10 miles of 2 vehicles, same speed side by side, slightly under the speed limit blocking traffic in the middle of nowhere. Right lane guy doing the rvnet thing at 65mph for days, no problem. Left lane, newer F150, couldnโ€™t seem to get his u no wat out of the wayโ€ฆ.
Really frustrating on a 300mile commute and youโ€™re on a schedule. Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your help. Decided to go around.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Many times have just went straight through after 10:00 am and had no real problems. As others have said keep moving over to middle lane as the right hand lanes often turn to exits.

Went that way, at about that time, couple of weeks ago and got the same results. Thought I was dreaming at first. Yes, stay in the middle lane, even if it "moves"!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Atlanta area drivers follow too close and drive too fast for the conditions. They also change lanes too often. I seriously doubt many could pass a driving test. I've been going through Atlanta since the late 60s. It has steadily grown worse and now I refuse that route.

That's pretty much any big city along the East Coast (and probably the rest of the country as well), it's not just an Atlanta phenomenon.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Many times have just went straight through after 10:00 am and had no real problems. As others have said keep moving over to middle lane as the right hand lanes often turn to exits.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a tip to bypass Chattanooga. Bail off at Dalton exit 336 and go east to Ga 71. It takes you up to Cleveland Tn and you can pick up 75 again...that is if you intend to continue on 75 north.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I've driven through. Now I avoid the entire city.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
The last time we went through Atlanta on I75 headed toward Tennessee it was crazy. I timed it so we would be going through about 2AM, geeze those people don't ever go to sleep. I couldn't believe how much traffic there was for the wee hours of the morning. Haven't been that way since...lol!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned by someone else, south of Atl in the Henry County/McDonough area is now just as bad as downtown. I suggest studying the route on Google Maps and make note of which lanes you need to be in and then just stick to them. Don't try to do a bunch of lane changing thinking it will get you ahead.

On the north side of the "connector" (where I75 and I85 run together), I75 splits from the right lanes and they cross each other after the split.

Also, they've now painted large interstate "signs" on the lanes. They help a lot.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, avoid rush hour. Weekends are busy as well but better than any rush hour. Take 75 straight through unless your Google Maps shows an accident or long delay. It will then recommend you take a beltway loop.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Went around once based on advice and it worked fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I've been through Atlanta many times with RV's. Early on Saturday or Sunday morning, you typically will be fine. Honestly, I have more trouble with two other areas along that route. The stretch of I-75 south of Atlanta, near McDonough, nearly always causes me grief. And going through Chattanooga on I-24 can be a nightmare. When planning the timing of your drive, I'd consider getting through not only Atlanta early but also Chattanooga if possible (they are approx 2 hours apart).
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7