cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2012 Ford Expedition Towing 30' Travel Trailer

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2012 Ford Expedition 2WD with V8. I've installed Bilstein shocks and use Weight Distribution Hitch with sway bar. We towed our 30' travel trailer for the first time this past weekend. Travel trailer tongue weight and GVWR is near the max limits for the Expedition. We did okay towing, but there were times I felt it struggling going uphill and then some sway when 18-Wheelers drive by. Is there anything else I can do? Is there a 3/4 ton SUV? Thank you in advance.
19 REPLIES 19

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
According to Ford the 2012 Expedition without the HD trailer towing package has a 6,000# towing limit and an 11,800# GCWR.
2012 RV & Trailer Towing Guide
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Burbman,
Going to only 3 links under tension would most likely result in some type of problem on turns. With only 3 links there is simply not enough chain links to allow the spring bars to move back and forth during a turn. I would follow the manufacturers advice and use a minimum of 5 links under tension. He can then adjust the head tilt to get the WD he needs without worrying about whether the bars are going to cause problems. Worked for me all those years until I got my Hensley.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
txnese wrote:
Hereโ€™s what I found. Similar to newer expeditions. If you do not have HD trailering package, you can town about 7000 lbs and with HD trailering package you can do 9000 lbs.
Finally got to CAT scale. Wheelbase 119.
Hereโ€™s the measurements Steering Axel-Drive Axel-Trailer- Front fender- rear fender
Tow Vehicle/5780 Travel trailer/6020--------------------36โ€-35โ€
Without WDH engaged.----------------2360-4160-5280-36.75โ€-33.5โ€
With WDH engaged (5-Link)----------2500-3960-5320-36.50โ€-33.75โ€
With WDH engaged (4-Link)----------2620-3800-5360-36.25โ€-34โ€
At 5 chain links as recommended, the trailer is almost perfect level. At 4 chain links, itโ€™s got a slight incline.
I did drive it back from CAT scale about 10 miles with 4-links, and it did feel better. Iโ€™ll try this setup on the next trip.

You should also weigh the truck without the trailer to get a baseline on what the back and front axle weights are. Also measure fender heights unloaded so you can see how much drop you get. You can see going from 5 links to 4 took 160# off of the back axle, sending 120# to the front axle and 40# to the trailer axles.

You might be better still going to 3 links and sending more weight forward, then adjusting the ball mount height to keep the trailer level.

The Expy can be a solid tow vehicle if not overloaded...and don't forget that trans temp gauge!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The Expedition has always been a questionable tow vehicle. You need to have everything perfect.
As far as the tongue weight you want it to be 12% of the trailers loaded for travel weight. So be prepared to move some stuff around.

As far as struggling. Gear ratio makes a big difference! Also the 5.4 (if thatโ€™s what you have) needs to rev to make power, so donโ€™t be afraid to let it spin to 4000-4500 rpm if necessary and always use tow haul mode!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't even think about that. Thank you BarneyS.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure your snap-up brackets are firmly mounted to the trailer A frame if you are going to only use 4 links between the bars and the snap-up. During a turn, the bar ends move back and forth and with only 4 links under tension there could be a chance of sliding the snap-up bracket back and forth on the A frame. This could cause trouble with anything mounted there such as breakaway switch, propane tank mounts, etc. or the chain links themselves crashing into the snap-up brackets.

If 4 links feels better, then I would go back to 5 links and tilt the hitch head back towards the trailer a bit more to make up the loss of lift by adding back the chain link.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
Hereโ€™s what I found. Similar to newer expeditions. If you do not have HD trailering package, you can town about 7000 lbs and with HD trailering package you can do 9000 lbs.
Finally got to CAT scale. Wheelbase 119.
Hereโ€™s the measurements Steering Axel-Drive Axel-Trailer- Front fender- rear fender
Tow Vehicle/5780 Travel trailer/6020--------------------36โ€-35โ€
Without WDH engaged.----------------2360-4160-5280-36.75โ€-33.5โ€
With WDH engaged (5-Link)----------2500-3960-5320-36.50โ€-33.75โ€
With WDH engaged (4-Link)----------2620-3800-5360-36.25โ€-34โ€
At 5 chain links as recommended, the trailer is almost perfect level. At 4 chain links, itโ€™s got a slight incline.
I did drive it back from CAT scale about 10 miles with 4-links, and it did feel better. Iโ€™ll try this setup on the next trip.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What's your wheelbase? 119 inches? Regarding "some sway" there is a BIG difference between my 2015 Tahoe at 116 inches and the Silverado's 147.4. IMO your Ford's wheelbase is too short for your trailer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
His capacities are about 9,000/1,300 w/wdh. He's withing capacities. But, no one knows how your trailer is loaded. No one knows if your vehicle is overloaded. Yea....that'll play a part too. Coolers and kids in the rear add up fast.

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, guys. Tongue weight is actually rated 775. Didnโ€™t have my coffee this morning when I typed it. We typically only go for a 2-3 days, so not really a lot of gear, but I guess if youโ€™re closer the limit. Every pound counts. Iโ€™ll try to verify actual weights at CAt this weekend.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2500 Suburban was the original 3/4 SUV, older models had the 350/454 motor options with TH400 trans, 01-06 they were available with 6.0/8.1 and 4L80E trans, 07-13, only had the 6.0L but with the 6 speed 6L90E trans that kept the tow ratings the same. Ford made the Excursion from 00-05 available with the 5.4, 6.8 V-10, or 7.3 diesel.

Back to your current situation, the first thing you need to do is get to a Cat scale and see what your weights are. Expy's have coil springs for a soft ride, not the best for stabilizing a load. I towed with one for a year before trading it in for a 2500 Suburban. I added airbags, and they helped a lot, what I did wrong was connect them to a common air line, so they didn't help with body roll, just sent air from one bag to the other. If you add them, plumb them separately.

Also the transmission in the Expy is not very sturdy, be sure to add a trans temp gauge andd possible an aux cooler if you tow with it on the regular.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
txnese wrote:
I towed it home after purchase with my F250 with No WDH, no problems at all. The kids like riding in the expedition for the extra room. Learning as I go.

I'll get it measured, but the weights per MFG as I found it. Trailer is 5400 dry weight, hitch weight is 715. The expedition is 6000-7000 towing and tongue weight is 575lbs. I don't have the OEM trailering package.

The newer Expeditions with trailering package is rated at 9000-9300lbs, but it comes with 3.5 Eco Boost. Has anyone towed a trailer with the V6 EcoBoost? How's it handle?

The dry weights are meaningless but if I'm reading your post correctly, the dry hitch weight is 715 and the trucks tongue weight limit is 575, so you are already over. In reality, fully loaded, it's likely to be up around 1000lb.

Without the towing package, watch your transmission. Other than the hitch, one of the big things you get is an auxiliary transmission cooler.

Even with the new expedition, payload may be an issue. Looking online says it's around 1750lb. Again, the sticker on the door is the one that counts as adding running board, roof racks and other items can use up a surprising amount if you don't get a stripped down version.
- A family of 4 can easily eat up 600lb of payload. If you have younger kids, keep in mind in 5-10yrs, they may increase by 100-200lbs as they turn into teenagers.
- A cooler and a couple bags and you have hit your payload limit.

Also keep in mind your rear axle rating. Most of the hitch weight winds up on the rear axle.

It's possible you might be able to stay within your ratings but you will have to stay on top of your weights. The CAT scale trip will give you a really good baseline when looking for a new tow vehicle but if buying a new truck, I would want to leave myself some margin for error.

I was initially skeptical of the ecoboost but it's turned out pretty good from the ones I've ridden in and reports I've heard. Don't expect great MPG while towing. It still takes fuel to make power.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
I towed it home after purchase with my F250 with No WDH, no problems at all. The kids like riding in the expedition for the extra room. Learning as I go.

I'll get it measured, but the weights per MFG as I found it. Trailer is 5400 dry weight, hitch weight is 715. The expedition is 6000-7000 towing and tongue weight is 575lbs. I don't have the OEM trailering package.

The newer Expeditions with trailering package is rated at 9000-9300lbs, but it comes with 3.5 Eco Boost. Has anyone towed a trailer with the V6 EcoBoost? How's it handle?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
txnese wrote:
I was using Mfg weights.

Load up as if you are going camping and swing by a CAT scale. Take 3 measurements (first is around $12 and reweighs are around $3):
- Trailer attached with WDH connected.
- Trailer attached with WDH disconnected.
- Truck by itself.

I'm betting you have one or more weight issues and it's showing up in the handling.

Assuming you can't or won't move to a pickup:
- Very good chance the truck is over it's payload limits. Tow rating is only one consideration. Look on the door jam for a yellow sticker. It lists the actual payload. But looking online, it appears to be around 1600lb. Assuming your 30ft trailer is around 10,000lb, the hitch weight could easily be 1500lb which counts against the payload. Any passengers or gear in the truck also count against payload.
- What is the hitch weight percentage? Ideally, you want around 12-15% of the fully loaded trailer weight on the hitch (more is actually better but conflicts with the need to stay within payload limits for the truck). Get below 10% and they have a tendency to sway. You will feel when semis blow by but it should settle down almost immediately. If it keeps swaying, that's a problem.
- If it's a heavy trailer, the 1000lb bars on the WDH might not be enough. Also, 50% of how much life on the front are you returning?
- If you are pushing 10,000lb, a gas engine will need a lot of RPM in hills. Gas engines generally make peak HP up around 3500-4500 RPM. If the drivetrain is otherwise in good shape, other than noise and fuel burn, there should be no harm. What kind of slope and what kind of RPM were you experiencing?

Depending on what you find at the CAT scales...If you will be towing regularly (especially in hilly/mountainous areas) and you can't switch to a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, I would be looking at 3/4 or 1 ton BODY ON FRAME full size vans. That should address payload issues. Then you have the choice between a big fuel hungry gas motor that will rev climbing hills or a much more expensive diesel motor which will keep the RPM more sedate and handle high altitude better...depends on how much and where you tow.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV