cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgate for a truck camper

ThomasELee
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have to remove the tailgate for a truck camper?
30 REPLIES 30

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2003 Chev had that recall No idea how strong the stubs are they hook onto

Tail gate on and off every time to use the truck That tail gate is getting heavier as I get older

Even if the camper fits in, the tailgate can get in the way of the camper steps

The OP will find out if he can get the crank in to lower the spare tire OOPs ?

It only takes a few times to remember to swap the licence plate to the camper Before loading it onto the truck. ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Yeah, I knew what you meant, but I don't buy the not able to haul weight thing. Although, I believe you qualified it as not "rated" to carry weight, which may be technically correct.

The tailgate itself can be built like a brick house, but it's still held up by two spindly cables, the subject of a pretty well known GM recall at one time. Funny it does not appear that GM or anyone else learned their lessons, because they still use spindly little cables to hold up the tailgate.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
s1214 wrote:
ThomasELee wrote:
If you are looking at 'truck tents', no. Most truck campers you do.

That dude was a 1 hit wonder. He gone.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
ThomasELee wrote:
If you are looking at 'truck tents', no. Most truck campers you do.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
When I look at this picture:

https://www.hostcampers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/0020-3.jpg

it looks like the tailgate straps would be in the way when the tailgate is in place and open. I am also not sure if nothing under the rear of the camper extends below the truck bed level.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Depends whether it will work or notโ€ฆ.
Iโ€™d remove it because you know that will work. And then re-assess once you have the truck and camper together.

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
I was just thinking of this yesterday. We are due to pick up our Host Everest this Thursday. Got me to wondering if the tailgate would be removed, or if it should be removed. When we get home the camper would come off the truck. Would I be putting the tailgate back on, ( and off ) each time we go camping and come home?
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Iโ€™ll have to call shenanigans on this.

There was a typo in my post. I fixed it.

Yep, I have seen bent tailgates from long term usage of hauling stuff that rests on the tailgate.

Yeah, I knew what you meant, but I don't buy the not able to haul weight thing. Although, I believe you qualified it as not "rated" to carry weight, which may be technically correct.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:

Iโ€™ll have to call shenanigans on this.

There was a typo in my post. I fixed it.

Yep, I have seen bent tailgates from long term usage of hauling stuff that rests on the tailgate.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
burningman wrote:
The only REAL issue is the cables or straps that hold the gate when itโ€™s open usually interfere with the camper because it widens out right behind the truck bed, and/or the camper has holding tanks below the rear overhang area, or a black tank dump port.

As for the notion that the gate will be damaged because it isnโ€™t designed to support much weight, how much weight is really on it if you can remove the tailgate and carry the camper without it?!!

I agree, I don't think the weight would be a problem with it distributed across the truck bed. It's not like it's all sitting directly on the truck tailgate.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
specta wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

And to my point, newer trucks tailgates are significantly thicker, heavier and better built than the 70s-80s models of trucks.

Back in the 70s Ford used to advertise that their tailgates could support up to 2000 lbs.

I'd be willing to bet that the tailgate on my 1976 F-250 would support more weight than the tailgate on my 2011 Chevy.

Well, I donโ€™t remember car adds from when I was in kindergarten, but have no doubt that โ€œoldโ€ tailgates are also strong. I was replying to whoever said newer tailgates werenโ€™t designed to carry loads.
Sure, the GM Swiss army tailgate and the ford models with the built in Grampa handrail may not work due to their complexity, but most of the rest of this conversation is meaningless speculation. Generally fueled by those who donโ€™t know the difference between a tailgate and a split tail! Lol

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The only REAL issue is the cables or straps that hold the gate when itโ€™s open usually interfere with the camper because it widens out right behind the truck bed, and/or the camper has holding tanks below the rear overhang area, or a black tank dump port.

As for the notion that the gate will be damaged because it isnโ€™t designed to support much weight, how much weight is really on it if you can remove the tailgate and carry the camper without it?!!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

And to my point, newer trucks tailgates are significantly thicker, heavier and better built than the 70s-80s models of trucks.

Back in the 70s Ford used to advertise that their tailgates could support up to 2000 lbs.

I'd be willing to bet that the tailgate on my 1976 F-250 would support more weight than the tailgate on my 2011 Chevy.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
stevenal wrote:
My camper doesn't extend down, but it does extend out. The tailgate cables would interfere. If your camper has taillights and your tailgate has cables, you'll need to remove the tailgate.

You forgot the word โ€œmaybeโ€. Do yโ€™all not realize there are literally hundreds of different truck and camper combos and what works or doesnโ€™t for you is not necessarily indicative of someone elseโ€™s setup?
I mean, the tailgate cable was in the way on mine, after it was t, because I built a genny compartment.
So should I recommend it wonโ€™t work to everyone?