cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

catalytic converter stolen

elargentino
Explorer
Explorer
Just had the converter stolen while rig was in storage. We had trouble finding a replacement so we just welded in a straight pipe, which works great except the engine check light is on all the time now because the O2 sensors aren't connected. Anyone know how to disable that particular sensor without affecting the other sensory systems on the engine? We don't have emissions checks in WA anymore and I see no reason to replace the converter only to have it stolen again! BTW, the cops do NADA! I hate to pollute but this gig gets expensive (I was quoted close to $2000 to replace the system correctly (if we can find the right part!)
16 REPLIES 16

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just had mine stolen in my car 2 days ago at a mall about 4:00 PM. That same day when I talked to the cop that made the report, said 5 were stolen in the same area that day. He said these are organized rings doing it. Muffler shop that replaced mine said he replaced 40 since the beginning of this year. Cost $1480 to replace it, my cost was a $500 deductible. You would think that it would be done at night away from people and cameras, but this is happening in the middle of the day in parking lots because the closeness of the parked cars blocks the view from what they are doing.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
as a shop owner I see a lot of converter and airbag theft in my opinion the drug attics that steel them I feel sorry for the selvedge people that buy them should go to jail

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
wow I have a 2004 jeep and can't find any on mine maybe owner did it.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Wade44 wrote:
Stim wrote:
So why don't converters have VIN numbers on them like so many body parts?

What many body parts have the VIN on them?

On my 1999 and 2008 jeep most if not all of the body parts either have the Vin or a serial number. The door glass, side glass and the tail gate glass has the vin number etched in the glass.

I had purchased from an individual a set hard doors and hard top for my 1999 Wrangler and I was able to do a search on the vin numbers to verify they were not stolen.

I do not see it being a difficult thing to etch or weld a vin number on the catalytic converters by the manufacturer.

Also we could do more in prosecuting anyone involved in the disposal of the converters.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stim wrote:

First, because that would be unworkable from a manufacturing point of view, a secondly, because it wasnโ€™t an issue until fairly recently.

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
Stim wrote:

What many body parts have the VIN on them?
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Stim
Explorer
Explorer

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.epa.gov โ€บ documents โ€บ exhsysrepair

Mb8 131991 - US Environmental Protection Agency

Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
In some jurisdictions the fine is considerably high if cited with tampering or disconnecting a pollution device. Of course if one collects on insurance and doesn't replace the cat it may even out.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why the slap at law enforcement? Cuzz your converter was stolen? What do you, Mr. Citizen, want the police to do or do differently?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
elargentino wrote:
Just had the converter stolen while rig was in storage. We had trouble finding a replacement so we just welded in a straight pipe, which works great except the engine check light is on all the time now because the O2 sensors aren't connected.

The issue is not just the light on, without input from the O2 sensors the ECM will go into โ€˜defaultโ€™ mode and the air / fuel mixture will be way off (far too rich) what it should be.

If the O2 sensor to the rear of the converter is the one that's not connected, it only reports to the ECM, if the converter is working or not and had no effect on the tune of the engine. If the O2 sensor forward of the converter is not connected, then you post is correct.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Your engine was designed to run with the converter in place. How much damage are you doing running without it? Hopefully you are smart enough to have insurance, use it to get the converter replaced.
Or put a piece of tape over the light so you don't see it.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
elargentino wrote:
Just had the converter stolen while rig was in storage. We had trouble finding a replacement so we just welded in a straight pipe, which works great except the engine check light is on all the time now because the O2 sensors aren't connected.

The issue is not just the light on, without input from the O2 sensors the ECM will go into โ€˜defaultโ€™ mode and the air / fuel mixture will be way off (far too rich) what it should be.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
You donโ€™t have auto/rv insurance ? Thatโ€™s what insurance is for and that would be a covered expense in comprehensive. Why have insurance if you donโ€™t let it cover the large expenses?
Bill