Explorer
Looks interesting for our August trip. Thanks
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS
8 REPLIES 8

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
I would travel the Moorfield/Petersburg route, 250 is not a very RV friendly route. I recommend East Fork Campground and Stables in Durbin or the recently reopened Boyer Station Campground in Boyer. There will be no cell phone service so you will need Wifi for communicating. Both campgrounds have it. The Durbin Rocket, a coal fired scenic train is in Durbin. You can watch it from the East Fork Campground or board it there too. It travels a section of the Greenbriar River. Don't miss a chance to visit the National Radio Astronomy Observatory while you are in the area.It is in Greenback WV. The Observatory is the reason there is no cell service.I prefer the East Fork Campground for its scenic setting, the owner has lived all of his life and is very knowledgeable about the history of the area. He has relatives in Cass. Enjoy our Wild and Wonderful State, like the song says Almost Heaven.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Looks like we'll combine schlep and Google getting off I81 at Winchester instead of Strasburg. Always wanted to visit Moorefield and Petersburg. Been to Seneca Rocks years ago. May just head on down to the New River Gorge while were that far south.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take a look at 48 west from the Strasburg area. At Moorefield (There are gas and restaurants here) take 220 south to Petersburg. Then 28 down to Seneca Rocks. Stop here for a walk through the visitors center or even a hike up to the top. They have RV parking. Continue following 28 to the south. Yes it is curvy. But it is not curvy while going up or down large mountains. Make a left onto 28/92. Before long you will see a large Radio telescope. That's the Green Bank Observatory. Stop in and take the tour. They have RV parking also.
Continue south and make a right onto Cass Rd.

This will not be the fastest route. I think it will have the least white knuckle driving as you are not going straight up or down any mountains while taking sharp turns. And you will get to see two more attractions along with understanding why you don't have any cell service in the area.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Mayor30's route is what I would take. I live about 15 miles form Staunton. Cass is in a unique spot in that there are no straight roads to get there. It's also quite a ways from cell phone coverage so don't expect to be able to use your phone anywhere near there. If you are on 250 west you will lose coverage about 15 or 20 miles from Staunton. Monterey, in Highland county, has a tower but then there won't be anything else past there. If you need fuel I'd get it in Staunton near the interstate at the Royal. Otherwise, get some in Monterey since WV has higher taxes.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Cass, I would guess that you are going for the same reason I had wanted to for years. It seems you have a F250 and a 26'TT. How are you at driving goat paths?
If you try to approach Cass from 219, that is Cass Rd. (66) and it is 12 miles of twisty windy roads that would remind you of New England.
If you elect to approach from 250, you will want to break south at Bartow for Patomac Highlands Trail (92-iirc) and that will take you though Green Bank. There are signs that instruct you to shut down your cell phone because you will be in the shadow of the radio observatory. Look west in Green Bank and you should see the dish. Just after that you should be able to break west. I recall a sign there that says you can join Cass Rd (66) there. When you get close to Cass, there is huge parking lot on the north side of the road.
There is a campground not far, but we didn't find it. We were out of season and didn't even look real hard. We rarely use regular campgrounds.
We had a great time there because we were out of season and being a steam engineer, I did what I often do which is look for the "Authorized Persons Only" sign because that is where I want to be. We got to the engine shop and when they found out I was a steam engineer, it was like meeting old friends. I would doubt that you can do that.
You wrote one time that you are not big on the blue roads. If I remember that right, you will love this. The trucks you meet coming the other way will understand.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
By best I mean roads with a line down the middle. Thanks Mayor30. I hadn't considered that one
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
81 south to 262 at A Staunton, then 250 to 28.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
depends on what you mean by 'best'. can you elaborate?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle