cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow start system for air conditioner

Goldbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 13 amp air conditioner that works fine but when not connected to a land electrical source but with my 2200 Honda generator (16 amps) it just about starts up. In looking for what’s called a slow start system there are a number of units in the $350.00 area. I’ve also found a hard start capcitor kit that appears to do the same thing for $20.00. Can someone explain the difference
26 REPLIES 26

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
www.microair.net is the one I use.
Use discount code of FATE to get $25.00 off.

I installed one on my Coleman Mach 8 a few years ago. I show how to install it in this video
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Cptnvideo wrote:
Itinerant1 wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
"Lugging around 130# or more generator doesn't sound like fun."

My 3500 watt Harbor Freight inverter/generator (which I rarely need or use) is always in the truck bed. Its heavy, but I only have to move it to the tailgate, so weight is not much of an issue.

Your solar/ battery system is very similar to mine and in 6 years of continuous boondocking I have never felt anything larger than 2-2200w generator was needed, whether throwing a hold over charge or running the AC even at 7-8,000' elevation on a hot day. I suppose having the hydrid inverter/ charger has its advantages though.

If a person had the large generator before hand and don't mind carrying it in the bed of the truck no reason to get rid of it. Having options for different camping....glamping needs makes roughing it easier. 😉

We actually bought the genny just before taking delivery of the 5th wheel. I debated about how much genny to buy and finally decided I would rather have too much than not enough.
BTW, we're currently boondocking at the edge of the Mogollon Rim in AZ at an elevation of 7856'. Definitely no need for A/C.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Itinerant1 wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:

My 3500 watt Harbor Freight inverter/generator (which I rarely need or use) is always in the truck bed. Its heavy, but I only have to move it to the tailgate, so weight is not much of an issue.

Your solar/ battery system is very similar to mine and in 6 years of continuous boondocking I have never felt anything larger than 2-2200w generator was needed, whether throwing a hold over charge or running the AC even at 7-8,000' elevation on a hot day. I suppose having the hydrid inverter/ charger has its advantages though.

If a person had the large generator before hand and don't mind carrying it in the bed of the truck no reason to get rid of it. Having options for different camping....glamping needs makes roughing it easier. 😉
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Itinerant1 wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:

We actually bought the genny just before taking delivery of the 5th wheel. I debated about how much genny to buy but finally decided to have more than needed than the other way around.
BTW, we're currently at 7856' elevation on the edge of the Mogollon Rim.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:

12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
If the AC is running for cooling the trailer aren't you in it and most likely have other things on (tv, radio)? So how loud is the 2000w or 2200w generator? Where is it placed under your chair window?

I know when my 2000 or 2200w generator is running for long periods with the air conditioning I don’t hear it inside but then I'll connect a second 30a cord to my 50a which will put the generator 25' away with the exhaust blowing away from the 5th wheel.

Lugging around 130# or more generator doesn't sound like fun.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
MFL wrote:
2oldman wrote:
That one generator will be working hard and LOUD running it, and you'll have a heck of a time running anything else, including your converter.

^^This...just not the right tool for the job. If you want to run the air, and other things, better to add/connect second generator, or sell/trade the 2200 and purchase a more capable single.

Jerry

Even if it can run it...so much for it being a quiet generator.

When you see the dB ratings, it's almost always at 25% load, so slightly above idle. A little 2000-2200w generator is running at somewhere around 80-100% of the continuous load rating powering the air/con and even the name brand honda/yamaha units start to sound like a lawnmower.

On the other hand, with a 3000-4000w unit, it's running around 30-50% load and much closer to the dB rating you see in the advertising.

We just replaced a Yamaha 2400 with a Champion 4500. The new generator is substantially quieter with the air/con running (even though the advertised dB ratings are worse) because it barely comes off idle. Yes, it's a little heavier but not drastically.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sophia11 wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

Is there an extended run tank for the Yamaha like there is for the Honda?

Yes, there is an extended run tank for the Yamaha. The Yamaha extended run tank has a capacity of about 35.4 gallons. The tank has a threaded locking cap, which makes it easy to install or remove the tank for refilling.

35.4 gallons????? That must be hard to carry around! I am happy with my 3 gallon tank for my Honda.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Sophia11
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

Yes, there is an extended run tank for the Yamaha. The Yamaha extended run tank has a capacity of about 35.4 gallons. The tank has a threaded locking cap, which makes it easy to install or remove the tank for refilling.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sophia11 wrote:
I have use Yamahas generators its far better than Honda

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Sophia11
Explorer
Explorer
I have use Yamahas generators its far better than Honda

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
The $20 kits are generally an additional start capacitor. These work great on the older models that had none. Most of the newer models already have this feature and the kit would have limited effect.

Without getting into the electrical engineering of AC motors, a larger or an additional starting capacitor could making starting current draw worse !

EasyStart by Micro-Air is a highly recommended soft starter.

Please, if you would, get into electrical engineering and explain to us how additional capacitance will raise AC motor starting current line draw.

Richard

Let's start with the inrush current that goes to charging the capacitor before it delivers the "boost" to the starting windings.

There's also a Youtube video or two actually showing the extra current needed.

Here's another analysisHard start Capacitor vs Soft Start

Also some more information on what a hard start actually does:

Start Capacitors and Inrush, fact and fiction

A hard start capacitor does not reduce inrush or starting current, it just shortens the amount of time the motor remains in "locked Rotor Amperage" speed. Also note in the linked info how most ammeters are not reading the actual starting current but rather the current ~100 ms after startup begins.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
The $20 kits are generally an additional start capacitor. These work great on the older models that had none. Most of the newer models already have this feature and the kit would have limited effect.

Without getting into the electrical engineering of AC motors, a larger or an additional starting capacitor could making starting current draw worse !

EasyStart by Micro-Air is a highly recommended soft starter.

Please, if you would, get into electrical engineering and explain to us how additional capacitance will raise AC motor starting current line draw.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson