Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Slow start system for air conditioner
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slow start system for air conditioner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Goldbrick

Royal Oak, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 13 amp air conditioner that works fine but when not connected to a land electrical source but with my 2200 Honda generator (16 amps) it just about starts up. In looking for what’s called a slow start system there are a number of units in the $350.00 area. I’ve also found a hard start capcitor kit that appears to do the same thing for $20.00. Can someone explain the difference

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.softstartrv.com/hard-start-vs-soft-start/

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/22 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The $20 kits are generally an additional start capacitor. These work great on the older models that had none. Most of the newer models already have this feature and the kit would have limited effect.

Best to open the junction box on the roof and get a picture of what is in there. Post that and the make/model of the air conditioner for best answers.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Goldbrick

Royal Oak, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks will do.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/22 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The $20 kits are generally an additional start capacitor. These work great on the older models that had none. Most of the newer models already have this feature and the kit would have limited effect.

Without getting into the electrical engineering of AC motors, a larger or an additional starting capacitor could making starting current draw worse !

EasyStart by Micro-Air is a highly recommended soft starter.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/22 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That one generator will be working hard and LOUD running it, and you'll have a heck of a time running anything else, including your converter.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/22 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I start up my A/C I make sure refrigerator is running on propane; then I turn thermostat to run the fan; after the fan has run for a few seconds I turn the thermostat to run A/C….. A/C starts & runs fine… U might try that sequence if’s you don’t want to shell out the $$$….

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/22 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

That one generator will be working hard and LOUD running it, and you'll have a heck of a time running anything else, including your converter.

^^This...just not the right tool for the job. If you want to run the air, and other things, better to add/connect second generator, or sell/trade the 2200 and purchase a more capable single.

Jerry

ewarnerusa

Helena, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/22 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The micro-air soft start kit has been one of the best upgrades we have made, our Yamaha 2400 now runs the A/C reliably and saves the day during summer heat. I quoted the following though because as people have pointed out, your Honda 2200 will be running hard to keep the A/C going and any other loads may just be a watt too many.

#1Flyboy wrote:

When I start up my A/C I make sure refrigerator is running on propane ….

I would add the water heater to this list and the converter if you are able to shut it off. Avoid any other high AC draw items like microwave or coffee makers.

I wouldn't say wrong tool for the job if this is your highest power demand situation and you go with the micro-air kit, I would instead say the right tool for the job without having to have a larger/heavier generator than necessary. My opinion though

Aspen Trail 2710BH | 280 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

Goldbrick

Royal Oak, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/22 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate the help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slow start system for air conditioner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.