Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Slow start system for air conditioner
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slow start system for air conditioner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/22 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

The $20 kits are generally an additional start capacitor. These work great on the older models that had none. Most of the newer models already have this feature and the kit would have limited effect.

Without getting into the electrical engineering of AC motors, a larger or an additional starting capacitor could making starting current draw worse !

EasyStart by Micro-Air is a highly recommended soft starter.

x2 on the micro air. with a honda 2200 I can start and run my Coleman MachIII at 7500 ft altitude at 90+F in eco mode and run it all day no problem. It's not inexpensive but it is way better than a soft start cap which only reduces somewhat the inrush surge and LRA. With the micro air my PEAK inrush current is <20A for <200 MILLI seconds. well within the capability of the honda 2200.

Now the honda 2000 will run out of poop at about 4000ft density altitude and overload, not a big enough motor. the 2200 has a much larger motor in addition to the extra 200W.

With the honda 2200 and easy start and some roof/portable solar I no longer have any need for the honda parallel kit and two generators.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

With the honda 2200 and easy start and some roof/portable solar I no longer have any need for the honda parallel kit and two generators.

I have a 2500w westinghouse, and I believe it has a smaller motor than your 2200. It would not run my 15k Btu AC on the travel trailer until I installed the microaire product.

On my new 5th wheel, it will start and run the smaller front AC without any mods. I haven't tried it on the rear AC yet.

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another often unmentioned benefit of the MicroAir soft start is how it "softens" the noise of A/C startup. Rather than the "Ka-whump" of fan and compressor starting all at once, which can wake you in the middle of the night, it's now a softer startup that I only notice if I'm awake at the time.

This is a benefit even if on shore power.

"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

The $20 kits are generally an additional start capacitor. These work great on the older models that had none. Most of the newer models already have this feature and the kit would have limited effect.

Without getting into the electrical engineering of AC motors, a larger or an additional starting capacitor could making starting current draw worse !

Please, if you would, get into electrical engineering and explain to us how additional capacitance will raise AC motor starting current line draw.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Please, if you would, get into electrical engineering and explain to us how additional capacitance will raise AC motor starting current line draw.

Richard

Let's start with the inrush current that goes to charging the capacitor before it delivers the "boost" to the starting windings.

There's also a Youtube video or two actually showing the extra current needed.

Here's another analysisHard start Capacitor vs Soft Start

Also some more information on what a hard start actually does:

Start Capacitors and Inrush, fact and fiction

A hard start capacitor does not reduce inrush or starting current, it just shortens the amount of time the motor remains in "locked Rotor Amperage" speed. Also note in the linked info how most ammeters are not reading the actual starting current but rather the current ~100 ms after startup begins.

* This post was edited 05/04/22 03:39pm by Microlite Mike *

Sophia11

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/22 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have use Yamahas generators its far better than Honda

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/22 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sophia11 wrote:

I have use Yamahas generators its far better than Honda

Is there an extended run tank for the Yamaha like there is for the Honda?

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Sophia11

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Yes, there is an extended run tank for the Yamaha. The Yamaha extended run tank has a capacity of about 35.4 gallons. The tank has a threaded locking cap, which makes it easy to install or remove the tank for refilling.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sophia11 wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

Yes, there is an extended run tank for the Yamaha. The Yamaha extended run tank has a capacity of about 35.4 gallons. The tank has a threaded locking cap, which makes it easy to install or remove the tank for refilling.

35.4 gallons????? That must be hard to carry around! I am happy with my 3 gallon tank for my Honda.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

2oldman wrote:

That one generator will be working hard and LOUD running it, and you'll have a heck of a time running anything else, including your converter.

^^This...just not the right tool for the job. If you want to run the air, and other things, better to add/connect second generator, or sell/trade the 2200 and purchase a more capable single.

Jerry

Even if it can run it...so much for it being a quiet generator.

When you see the dB ratings, it's almost always at 25% load, so slightly above idle. A little 2000-2200w generator is running at somewhere around 80-100% of the continuous load rating powering the air/con and even the name brand honda/yamaha units start to sound like a lawnmower.

On the other hand, with a 3000-4000w unit, it's running around 30-50% load and much closer to the dB rating you see in the advertising.

We just replaced a Yamaha 2400 with a Champion 4500. The new generator is substantially quieter with the air/con running (even though the advertised dB ratings are worse) because it barely comes off idle. Yes, it's a little heavier but not drastically.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slow start system for air conditioner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.