cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making my onboard generator quieter

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's a good project that reduced the sound output on my onboard generator. Part number is of the resonator is 155-2449. I had a local car exhaust shop do the welding.

Resonator sound comparison
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
14 REPLIES 14

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
StirCrazy wrote:
while the sound decrease is minimul, the tone of the sound is much better, but if you ran that beside me I would still complane. I think the best way to quite thoes down is to rip them out and use the space to store your honda 2200 ๐Ÿ˜‰

My EU2200 rides in my cargo trailer. The noise it makes compared to the onboard gen is very close to the same.

And yes, the tone is much better with the resonator installed. It eliminates the "sputtering" sound from the exhaust.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
Sleeping in an RV with a vacuum cleaner cooling it, powered by a lawn mower

There's no vacuum cleaner that cools an RV, nor is there a lawn mower powering anything.
Bob

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Sleeping in an RV with a vacuum cleaner cooling it, powered by a lawn mower
underneath is not my idea of glamping. Been using a Honda 2000 forever and now have an LG 9500 dual inverter cooling my Roadtrek.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
while the sound decrease is minimul, the tone of the sound is much better, but if you ran that beside me I would still complane. I think the best way to quite thoes down is to rip them out and use the space to store your honda 2200 ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would be interested in seing the difference it makes, if any inside the camper.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sure seems to make the sound more acceptable.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Granted its only a video, while the meter may have determined the resonator made a difference. I could not hear much of a difference listening to the video.
I found the difference to be minimal at best. Not enough to make a difference or change my camping scenario
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Nice upgrade, thanks for sharing.
Bob

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
So the Inverter model, despite running slower and having a completely different motor, has, under load, that same chugging or Poot-poot sound that my non inverter model has, and that resonator seems to have about the same effect on your inverter model as on my older non-inverter model.

I took my pipe to a one man muffler shop and he welded up some cracks in the 90 degree bend of the pipe caused by a broken hangar in the past, and he cut out a section and welded in the resonator.

I had bought the resonator to install on my 3600LP generator in a motorhome I had, but everyone who had tried it said it simply didn't have any noticeable change in sound so I never bothered to install it. After I got my trailer and realized the sound the smaller 2500LP made I tried it and that is what you see in my short video. That led me to install it and in that process I discovered cracks in the pipe at the 90 coming out of the motor from a broken hangar that had been repaired using inner tube or similar rubber that left a lot to be desired. As I also had the proper Cummins hanger, new, I bought with the resonator, I changed it out and fixed everything.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Fulltimers wrote:
The title of this post is deceiving.

It's not deceiving at all. Watch the video and you can see that the resonator did indeed reduce the sound.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed! CharlesinGA provided a great example of the improved sound. I would opt for that mod in a heartbeat.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
CharlesinGA,
Good demo! Thanks.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the same resonator on the earlier non-inverter model of the Onan 2500LP (runs at a constant 3600 rpm). The exhaust on mine has a "poot-poot" sound that was annoying, and after installing the resonator, the volume of the sound was not appreciably reduced, but the TONE was changed, and the "poot-poot" sound was pretty much gone.

Installing it on the new inverter model Onan 2500i probably has less effect as the engine generally runs slower (2445-2900 rpm) and never gets close to the 3600 that a non-inverter generator runs at.

Here is a video that I did showing the difference on my trailer. YT messed me up by converting it to a "short" so all of the description of what it is and why is not visible to the viewer unless they click the three vertical dots in the upper RH corner and select "description". I will have to eventually edit the video to longer than a minute by adding some BS at the beginning and end but for now you are stuck with looking at a 40 second short.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NQEtWhQr8ps?feature=share

I have since cut out a section of the pipe under the trailer and welded the resonator in place.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
The title of this post is deceiving. The difference is insignificant. Not worth the money as far as I can tell.
My Generac 65G is pretty quiet. It is mounted wrong and resonates through the chassis which makes it louder inside than outside.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting demonstration. TY for posting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad