Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Crypto Mining and CO2
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Crypto Mining and CO2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interestingly, I just ran across this topic concerning Crypto-mining and Carbon footprints (greenhouse gas?), which I’d not yet considered…But curiously, I can’t help wonder why EV promoting policy makers (Note, EV’s not the topic here!) turn a blind eye to the adverse greenhouse gas impact of these (from my perspective, somewhat ‘decadent’) activities??…Just saying, I don’t really get it??

3 tons

https://davidmytton.blog/how-much-energy-does-cryptocurrency-use/

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/22 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t think it’s a blind eye. Seems to me the issue is electricity storage as generated by wind and solar. Couple of huge batteries planned in our state. We’ll see if that works.

* This post was edited 04/27/22 02:22pm by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see this thread turning sideways quickly..

It is all about where the money comes from, follow the money trail.

Has nothing to do with the reality that all things done consumes or converts from one form to another. IE THE LAW OF CONSERVATION OF ENERGY which states..

"The law of conservation of energy is a physical law that states energy cannot be created or destroyed but may be changed from one form to another."

Carbon is not being created, it is energy being released and it comes from converting a energy source to another energy source.

Making electricity requires using a carbon based energy source somewhere in all of the chain.. Whether it is crude, natural gas, solar, hydro, there is carbon based energy used to convert to electricity somehwere.

Crypto mining is very energy intense and wasteful, in a nutshell requires a very fast processor, lots of memory and as fast as of a gaiming Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) as you can afford. As they say, the faster you go, the more energy is consumed.

At one time, the idea was to use your PC's processor and other folks PC processors together during the times you and other people were not using all of your PCs processor cycles.. At that time might not have been considered wasteful but now not so much since crypto has some sort of monetary "value" to it..

Basically crypto mining is nothing more than trying to solve mathematical problems and the gaiming GPU since it is designed to do mathematical conversions quickly so your game video runs fast and smooth.

Many hard core crypto miners will install multiple gaming video cards into one PC to solve the math faster..

Crypto is "cool" for some, for some "mining" is a way to gamble and possibly win big in some monetary form or the gamble/risk ends up bankrupting you when the entire "Ponzi" scheme falls apart.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I searched my EV thoroughly and I couldn't find a crypto mining rig anywhere in the car. So I'm pretty sure I can disregard the carbon footprint of cryptocurrency mining when I plug in my car, as can the EV promoting policy makers. Energy waste due to other sources is tangential to promoting EV's.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many problems associated with gas stations that have been ignored in addition to carbon foot print. High jacking is a growing problem. Grand theft auto is a real possibility. Assault and robbery by the deplorables who hang around and in the business. Card scamming is frequent. It is really dangerous for anyone particularly a female to buy gas.
Being able to charge at home is a real safety bonus.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

There are many problems associated with gas stations that have been ignored in addition to carbon foot print. High jacking is a growing problem. Grand theft auto is a real possibility. Assault and robbery by the deplorables who hang around and in the business. Card scamming is frequent. It is really dangerous for anyone particularly a female to buy gas.
Being able to charge at home is a real safety bonus.

Car jacking happens anywhere and often happens at stop lights, slow congested city traffic, malls, grocery stores..

Robbery also happens anywhere including your own home and property..

Perhaps to be safe, one should build a deep moat and massive fort around their home and EV and never venture out? Heck that just might save the world from those nasty carbons escaping also?

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer
Just compare the percentages and you will find that gas stations attract a lot of undesirables and crime follows. That is not to say that doesn't happen other places.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Gdetrailer
Just compare the percentages and you will find that gas stations attract a lot of undesirables and crime follows. That is not to say that doesn't happen other places.

I don't know where you are getting your "data" from, but I think it is badly skewed.

Look at it this way, most crime "undesirables" come out to play after dark. Many gas stations often are open way past dark and some 24/7..

Now add in stupid who leaves their vehicle with the keys and often running with the door wide open inviting a undesirable to take advantage of stupid.

Gas station crimes often make the headlines many times more than than most all other thefts.. There are more likely more other crimes being committed that never ever see the headlines..

The ONLY gas station I have ever felt uncomfortable at was near a large inner city area and I had to stand outside and push the money through a small slot no bigger than paper money to the cashier who was standing behind 2" bullet proof glass..

Marked that location on my map as a bad area and to never stop there again.

I would recommend removing the foil hat.. Gas stations are not as dangerous as you believe.. You have a better chance of getting car jacked at any stop light, there are hundreds of thousands more stop lights than gas stations.

Not to mention, I do not see your connection to gas station crimes to what that has to do with crypto mining..

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gde
You should really think before posting. As an example you state hijacking at stop lights is a better chance as there are hundreds of thousands. I suggest you don't understand percentages.
You should remove your lead hat as nothing is getting through.

By the way do you have some vested interest in a gas station?

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Making electricity requires using a carbon based energy source somewhere in all of the chain.. Whether it is crude, natural gas, solar, hydro, there is carbon based energy used to convert to electricity somehwere.

The energy from solar from from fusion of Hydrogen to Helium in the Sun (the actual fusion reactions are more complex than a simple H->He, but it's close enough), no carbon involved.

The energy from hydro comes primarily from rain water being transported to higher ground, which is ultimately driven by the sun, no carbon involved.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Crypto Mining and CO2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.