Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford stops taking orders on the lightening
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford stops taking orders on the lightening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/05/22 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford Dealers Will Likely Switch Over To New Business Model By 2023


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/06/22 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

I read where Ford may make buyers of the Lightening sign a contract that they cannot sell the vehicle for a year after purchase.


Unless it's already spelled out in the pre-order contract, no way they could enforce it.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/06/22 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I don't see it that way. There were a lot of naysayers who thought serious reliable EV coud not be achieved.
The best the legacy manufactures could could come up with were the Leaf and the Bolt.
Tesla showed that EV could be much more than a small commuter car.
They didn't just talk about it. They changed the face of EV.
Sure there were growing pains, but in the end they raised the bar for EV.
They showed the world that EV was possible, if you were creative and determined. Tesla had nothing holding them back.
They were able to simply think outside the box and run with it.
The rest of the world is now playing catch up.


Who thought they couldn't build a reliable EV?

The basic concept was never in question. They weren't particularly innovative, they just threw lots of money at massive battery banks to give it a decent range. There is nothing the legacy manufacturers don't have the capability of producing. They just had no interest when EVs made up 0.0001% of the market.

The issue was producing an economically viable EV. Without huge govt subsidies & kickbacks, Tesla would have went bankrupt long ago. They are still heavily dependent on them.

Now that the market is growing, the legacy manufacturers are getting into the game and have pretty much caught up with Tesla. Heck, Ford has beat them to market with a pickup.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/06/22 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I don't see it that way. There were a lot of naysayers who thought serious reliable EV coud not be achieved.
The best the legacy manufactures could could come up with were the Leaf and the Bolt.
Tesla showed that EV could be much more than a small commuter car.
They didn't just talk about it. They changed the face of EV.
Sure there were growing pains, but in the end they raised the bar for EV.
They showed the world that EV was possible, if you were creative and determined. Tesla had nothing holding them back.
They were able to simply think outside the box and run with it.
The rest of the world is now playing catch up.


Who thought they couldn't build a reliable EV?

The basic concept was never in question. They weren't particularly innovative, they just threw lots of money at massive battery banks to give it a decent range. .

I take it you've never driven a Tesla?
The super large touch screen, dual motors, full internet intergration are quite innovative.
The innovation started with a different mindset.
They chose to build a car with performance vs. an econmy drive commuter car.
If the lagacy dealers had the same mindset they wre sure keeping it a secret.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/06/22 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I take it you've never driven a Tesla?
The super large touch screen, dual motors, full internet intergration are quite innovative.
The innovation started with a different mindset.
They chose to build a car with performance vs. an econmy drive commuter car.
If the lagacy dealers had the same mindset they wre sure keeping it a secret.


Touch screens and internet are not specific to Tesla or to EVs. The legacy manufacturers have had them for quite a while now. Tesla didn't drive these features.

Multiple motors are a simple feature of EVs, nothing particularly innovative about it.

They had to market to the high end virtue signalers because there weren't enough average people who could afford one. As it moves beyond a niche product, they will have to come down and play in the same market as the legacy manufacturers. The real question is can Tesla succeed with direct competition in their niche.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/06/22 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol ^.
Can Tesla compete in the future? That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard today….
Literally made the founder the richest man in the world and someone is questioning his ability to make money? (Aka, his ability to keep Tesla relevant…)
That’s like questioning if Amazon or Apple have a solid business plan…
(Sent from my iPhone that I bought on Amazon…lol)


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/06/22 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-150 lightning outrageous dealer markups: Ford fires warning shot


2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT


Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/06/22 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I take it you've never driven a Tesla?
The super large touch screen, dual motors, full internet intergration are quite innovative.
The innovation started with a different mindset.
They chose to build a car with performance vs. an econmy drive commuter car.
If the lagacy dealers had the same mindset they wre sure keeping it a secret.


Touch screens and internet are not specific to Tesla or to EVs. The legacy manufacturers have had them for quite a while now. Tesla didn't drive these features.

Multiple motors are a simple feature of EVs, nothing particularly innovative about it.

They had to market to the high end virtue signalers because there weren't enough average people who could afford one. As it moves beyond a niche product, they will have to come down and play in the same market as the legacy manufacturers. The real question is can Tesla succeed with direct competition in their niche.

Have you driven a Tesla?
I believe you would have a better grasp on their innovation if you had.
I was not a Tesla fan until I drove one.
After my drive I instantly realized the ICE was obsolete.
We no longer needed pistons,radiators and cranks to propel a hunk of steel down the road. The complexity of the ICE and all the moving parts were simply no longer necessary.
It was also apparent that EV was capable of being more than a 50 MPG commuter car.
As far as price, initially the base model Tesla's were in the 45K range which is not the cheapest car around but I would not say they are priced for the elite only.
Again Tesla approached EV differently than the legacy dealers, they marketed to a different crowd, they built a car with superb performance,they were not trying to build an econo box.
The legacy dealers did not lack know how, funding, or ability.
More than anything they lacked vision. Their version of EV lacked mass appeal.Their version did not turn heads, their version was mundane vs. innovative. Their version did not sell. Tesla changed the game.
Tesla started a real EV revolution that have lead all legacy dealers to proclaim some version of going full throtle EV by the year 203??.

Wade44

Ohio Farm Country

Full Member

Joined: 03/29/2022

View Profile



Posted: 05/07/22 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator



In a nutshell. "Lets make a threatening statement to our dealers publicly, it will look good, then do nothing"

GM made almost the same statement publicly over a year ago but there are still a lot of dealers here in OH tacking on $5000 "market adjustments" and the allocations were not touched in any way shape or form.

It's all lip service.


2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/07/22 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been in a Tesla, but my daughter got an Uber ride in one recently. She said only one thing and it probably sums it all up. She said she felt like she was in the future.
JK


2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights
2022- 127 Nights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford stops taking orders on the lightening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.