cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Day Entry Fee Increase - RMNP

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
For 2022, just before Memorial Day Weekend on May 27, the one day entry fee for Rocky Mountain National Park goes from $25 to $30. The 7 day entry fee and the annual fee don't increase.

In 2023 the camping fee will also increase, from $30 to $35 for the summer season. Timed entry reservations are in place again this season.

S O U R C E - 9News Denver
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
18 REPLIES 18

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Microlite Mike wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Microlite Mike wrote:

Unfortunately the money we're paying isn't going to the parks. It gets re-directed to the usual "Pork Projects".

One thing to note, fees collected at a park don't remain in the park (budget). They go to wherever the political winds blow them.

That's not what the NPS says.

https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/fees-at-work.htm

This tells a little different story:

https://www.npca.org/articles/832-background-the-economics-of-national-parks

There has been more than a 7%, or $173 million reduction in the account to operate national parks and more than a 12%, or $364 million reduction in the total budget for the National Park Service over the last five years in todayโ€™s dollars.
The park serviceโ€™s deferred maintenance backlog has steadily been growing, now at $11.5 billion. Projects are continually added to the backlog in part due to insufficient operations funding to ensure needed day-to-day maintenance. The backlog has also grown because of a steady decline in the โ€˜constructionโ€™ account. Over the last decade, there has been a 62% or $227 million decline in that account in todayโ€™s dollars.

Nowhere in your cited 7 year old article does it say that the park fees are going anywhere but to the NPs which is your contention.

That doesn't mean Congress can't cut additional funding as it sees fit which is what the article you posted says.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
Microlite Mike wrote:

Unfortunately the money we're paying isn't going to the parks. It gets re-directed to the usual "Pork Projects".

One thing to note, fees collected at a park don't remain in the park (budget). They go to wherever the political winds blow them.

This tells a little different story:

https://www.npca.org/articles/832-background-the-economics-of-national-parks

There has been more than a 7%, or $173 million reduction in the account to operate national parks and more than a 12%, or $364 million reduction in the total budget for the National Park Service over the last five years in todayโ€™s dollars.
The park serviceโ€™s deferred maintenance backlog has steadily been growing, now at $11.5 billion. Projects are continually added to the backlog in part due to insufficient operations funding to ensure needed day-to-day maintenance. The backlog has also grown because of a steady decline in the โ€˜constructionโ€™ account. Over the last decade, there has been a 62% or $227 million decline in that account in todayโ€™s dollars.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Microlite Mike wrote:

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Yes, but it sucks because they are charging for something we are already paying for!

True, we are paying for the NP's. Unfortunately the money we're paying isn't going to the parks. It gets re-directed to the usual "Pork Projects".

Same for State Parks where I live.

Here's an interesting read on what's happened to National Parks over the years:

https://www.perc.org/2016/04/25/national-parks-lost-in-the-wilds-of-neglect/

"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Thom02099 wrote:
In addition to the fee increase and the continuation of timed entry, the shuttles are also coming back. Will also be starting the weekend of May 27th and run into October. Free shuttles, easy to get to Bear Lake area from a variety of starting points.

Read the press release in the Estes Park News this week. Even the Hiker Shuttle is subject to the timed entry fee.

Correct. This was released after my original post. Also, it looks like the shuttle will be running direct from the EP Visitor's Center to Bear Lake as an express, with no stops at the campgrounds or other hiking trailheads. I'll need to check further on this as I was counting on the shuttles from Glacier Basin to Bear Lake area.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
In addition to the fee increase and the continuation of timed entry, the shuttles are also coming back. Will also be starting the weekend of May 27th and run into October. Free shuttles, easy to get to Bear Lake area from a variety of starting points.

Read the press release in the Estes Park News this week. Even the Hiker Shuttle is subject to the timed entry fee.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
^if you want Bear Road access entry before 5am is unregulated and non Bear Road access is unregulated before 9am so you could have actually done exactly as you desired.

But you're lack of planning doesn't mean the system doesn't provide a higher quality visit for many or most or is a "piss poor idea."

The $2 goes to rec.gov to support the web page and the many phone service personnel they employ.

Crowding is just a fact of life, get over it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
My goodness. What a lot of commotion over $2.00. How much did you spend to fill your fuel tank last time? How much did your rig cost? How much do you spend a night at your last stop at an RV park?

This timed reservation system is in place to make for a better-quality visit. So more time sightseeing and less time waiting in line at the entrance and easier to find parking once in the park. With the timed reservation system in place at Arches, I'd guess the line at the entrance station is 25% of what it was a couple of years ago.

From their website, visitation at RMNP increased 42% in seven years. But there wasn't a 42% increase in parking spaces nor will they be making Trail Ridge Road four lane anytime in the near (or even distant) future.

You can do like we did at Arches: ride your bike into the park. No timed entrance permit required. The ride up Fall River Road is quite scenic and the coast back down from the top of Trail Ridge Road is exhilarating.

Yes, $2 here ,$2 there it all adds up. I have the class A I have because I watch what I spend.
And the times reservation system doesnโ€™t make for a better quality visit for me, I wanted to get into RMNP early, but because I had no cell coverage I lost out on an early visit so I was stuck with 3:00. So yes, it is a piss poor idea.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
My goodness. What a lot of commotion over $2.00. How much did you spend to fill your fuel tank last time? How much did your rig cost? How much do you spend a night at your last stop at an RV park?

This timed reservation system is in place to make for a better-quality visit. So more time sightseeing and less time waiting in line at the entrance and easier to find parking once in the park. With the timed reservation system in place at Arches, I'd guess the line at the entrance station is 25% of what it was a couple of years ago.

From their website, visitation at RMNP increased 42% in seven years. But there wasn't a 42% increase in parking spaces nor will they be making Trail Ridge Road four lane anytime in the near (or even distant) future.

You can do like we did at Arches: ride your bike into the park. No timed entrance permit required. The ride up Fall River Road is quite scenic and the coast back down from the top of Trail Ridge Road is exhilarating.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Well when they get rid of the timed entry fee on top of the regular entry fee, then Iโ€™ll go back to the NPโ€™s!

Isn't it a $2 fee?......

Yes, just another fee! And where does that money go?

Just go early or late and there is no need for the timed entry at all.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Well when they get rid of the timed entry fee on top of the regular entry fee, then Iโ€™ll go back to the NPโ€™s!

Isn't it a $2 fee?......

Yes, just another fee! And where does that money go?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Isn't it a $2 fee?......
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Yes, but it sucks because they are charging for something we are already paying for!

The fact is we haven't been paying otherwise there wouldn't be $12 Billion US in deferred maintenance in the NPS system. (And that number is going to double before we get round to it.)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II