cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1983 Midas Kingston - free RV with a locked engine

Buckmeister420
Explorer
Explorer
So, I’ve always wanted an RV. One that drives not some stupid camper to lug around. I finally have found one that I can afford to have towed to me, and is absolutely free! The only thing is they claim the motor is”gummed up” from sitting so long. Otherwise besides the engine it is in decent condition. No major damage to the inside.

I know a lot about working on vehicles, and I have nothing but time on my hands. Go for it or just a mess waiting to happen?
31 REPLIES 31

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
go look at you tube videos on rv refurbishment. I have watched some and they are pretty entertaining while showing what has been happening and expected future results. I did a partial rebuild on a TT I got for the kids when they went to softball tournements and it wasnt hard BUT I did not tear it all apart. The framing on front was pretty well trashed due to leaking clearance lights so ended up replacing a lot of the forward framing using cripples and stuff to support the existing framing. Never did get around to working in rear bedroom as I sold the things since the kids never did use. It can be fun AND frustrating, so go review the youtube stuff and enjoy.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Photos. we want photos.
Having installed 12 ft. of living quarters in a blank 32ft. gooseneck van, I appreciate your enthusiasm. What i found out is that is a learning process and one that benefits from a bit of planning. The tech section of this forum is great for electrical. plumbing etc advise.
Get the drive train in shape first so you can determine if you should move forward. Interiors can be tricky. Save as much as you can.
Look around your area for a rv wrecking yard too. treasures await you.
Ask for help, ignore the naysayers and photos, we want photos.

Buckmeister420
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
Buckmeister420,

Welcome to the Forums and good luck with the project.

Do you have covered storage for this RV? If so, the roof condition probably isn't too important at this point. But if not, I would seriously consider making sure the roof was solid and water tight to prevent any water damage (or any further water damage) if there are leaks. I'm guessing that if the rig just sat, and no one has tended to roof in quite some time, there could be issues.

I know you're focused on the engine, but in my opinion, the roof condition and any water leaks would be the FIRST thing I'd be concerned about.

Again, Welcome and Good Luck!

~Rick

I do not have covered storage and it’s funny you say that because that is exactly what someone else said. Go around and seal every little thing I can seal and fasten all I can fasten. Make sure it isn’t leaking.

Good news: I got it to fire up today with some starting fluid. Died after a moment. Found out it has 0 gas in the tank, topped it off with 2.5 gallons. Nothing but it did fire a second time with starting fluid.

I removed the supply line for the fuel. Nada. No fuel so now next is just figuring out which fuel pump is bad, or if it’s all of them, or if it’s a relay. Could be anything.

Going to go to the store and get some testing equipment and some more tools, and I’m going to go to town on this fuel system. I realize it could be something as simple as a clogged filter - but I don’t hear anything as far as a buzz or hum when I turn the key.

I’m thinking to document everything I do with pictures and then put it all together when I’m done. I was impressed with the website someone else put together. Thanks for all the advice.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buckmeister420,

Welcome to the Forums and good luck with the project.

Do you have covered storage for this RV? If so, the roof condition probably isn't too important at this point. But if not, I would seriously consider making sure the roof was solid and water tight to prevent any water damage (or any further water damage) if there are leaks. I'm guessing that if the rig just sat, and no one has tended to roof in quite some time, there could be issues.

I know you're focused on the engine, but in my opinion, the roof condition and any water leaks would be the FIRST thing I'd be concerned about.

Again, Welcome and Good Luck!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
After viewing Bob's complete TT rebuild project , I'd say Buckmeister has a lot to look forward to.

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck on your project. The Ford 460 is a pretty solid engine and the C6 is a decent transmission. You probably won't have to worry too much about the chassis.

After it's all fixed up and you're camping in it, you'll have a sense of satisfaction you could never get from just buying one ready to go.

If you are going to get after the inside, gut it, perhaps my website may offer some insight. It's a TT rebuild, but aside from the chassis, the house part of it has many similarities.
Link in sig
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Buckmeister420
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I never in my life bought a motor home new that I NEVER had to work on. You are just starting early. Good luck. Where are you in WV?

Jefferson county WV area.

I just got done talking with the guy who taught me all I know about cars. I know what exact engine I have now. I am going to get it started and then go from there. Cranks but doesn’t start. Never had a spark plug changed. I’m excited.

I plan to completely gut the inside and re do it as well.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buckmeister420 wrote:
So, I’ve always wanted an RV. One that drives not some stupid camper to lug around. I finally have found one that I can afford to have towed to me, and is absolutely free! The only thing is they claim the motor is”gummed up” from sitting so long. Otherwise besides the engine it is in decent condition. No major damage to the inside.

I know a lot about working on vehicles, and I have nothing but time on my hands. Go for it or just a mess waiting to happen?
Go for it. Nothing to fear but fear itself.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good luck going forward!
If it turns over like it has good compression, even better!
I'd first check for spark, assuming it isn't getting fuel or at least fuel that will burn. If good spark, then run it off of a gas can with fresh gas. 1983 Ford I'm pretty sure it has a mechanical fuel pump? So easy to bottle feed it fresh gas.
Another good thing, if it "quit running" then likely the trans was/is ok. And a C6 is pretty stout.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never in my life bought a motor home new that I NEVER had to work on. You are just starting early. Good luck. Where are you in WV?

Buckmeister420
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Buckmeister420 wrote:
No major damage to the inside.

Unfortunately, major damage to an RV coach portion is often hidden.

There is more damage than originally thought to the inside, but it’s all repairable and a good learning project for me so long as the engine runs good. There is a lot of cool stuff I want to gut the inside and then do.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Buckmeister420 wrote:
No major damage to the inside.

Unfortunately, major damage to an RV coach portion is often hidden.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.