cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Metal storage structure for 20 foot long travel trailer?

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone knows a good place/resource to get a metal storage structure to park a 20 foot long 12 foot tall travel trailer in. This metal structure would be used to securely store the trailer as well as protect it from wind/weather. Are there reasonably priced pre-made metal structures like this or would I be better off building something myself? Thanks for any tips.
10 REPLIES 10

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My 32' rv trailer stays in a 16' X 40' X 14' interior height pole barn/metal structure with the long south side metaled down 40" off the ground for airflow.
The floor is 1" crusher run limestone.
I've always had tractor/implements shed and trailer sheds big enough for various sizes of non rv trailers.
The sun ruins every thing over time...long and short.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gotta agree with GDE. Unless money is no issue, covers are still like $250 and construction materials are obscenely expensive. And there isnโ€™t a contractor, one that can get materials anyway, that isnโ€™t busy and either not taking more work or charging a significant premium.
Speaking for the PNW area.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
I had a 2 car garage built at a rental, 7K and I did the slab.

Won't be that cheap now days..

Had to replace the roof on my home last yr, $16K for 1200 sq ft and that was shingles, steel roofing would have been an additional $2K..

30yrs ago when I bought the home, reroofed it for $4K..

Went into sticker shock this week when I was getting pricing for a new project, simple 8x30 convention frame building, nothing fancy.. 2x4x8 priced at $8 each, 4'x8'x1/2" OSB is priced at $60 per sheet..

Needless to say, that project is no longer on any burner including the back burner until the prices recede to affordable levels.

Very bad time to build anything right now..

My advice to the OP is to hold off, your RV is not going to melt in the sun and you bought it to use in the sun.. For security purposes, having it in a building doesn't make it any more secure.. You will only delay determined bad guys for a few seconds.. They make property insurance for those times..

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2 car garage built at a rental, 7K and I did the slab.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Google โ€œyour townโ€ Oregon metal buildings

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
What you are looking for is called a "pole building", often referred to as a "pole barn".

Pole building is a type of construction which uses posts (poles where used in the past) that are set in the ground or tied to a concrete foundation pad, no wall studs are used to support the roof, the posts support the roof structure.

Purlins are used across between the upright poles to screw the metal siding to.

Fairly cost effective and quick to build. Should be able to find some contractors locally to you that build them..

Kind of bad timing to start any building project as prices of materials are now running better than 4x over what they were less than 6 months ago..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Carport = weather protection. Pole barn = that and "secure".

Presume you're looking for specific contractors that sell and build one or the other?
Better take a number and get in line now. Prior to the recent years problems, buddy waited like 4 months to get a carport and that's when covid hadn't screwed everything up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our canopy at a dealer in Vancouver. It was manufactured back east and distributed out of Salem. I believe the name was Western Steel Structures or something like that. Their work was good as is the product, and I thought the price was fair.

I bought a standard 14' x 36' canopy with 12' side walls. Due to the roof pitch, it has no problem accepting my 13'-1" fifth wheel. My trailer is 32' so the ends get wet in the northwest weather. Roof is dry and shaded all the time.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is one supplier of DIY kits, Google "pole barns" in your area.

I would suggest making the structure with at least 14' interior height for possible future needs. My neighbor has a beautiful 20x40 garage with a 12' tall door where he used to park his trailer. He sold the TT and talked about restoring an Airstream when he retired. Now that he's actually retired, he shifted gears and bought a Class C and it won't fit in the garage.

The standard for interstate overpasses is 13' 6" so if build it with 14' of headroom you'll be "future-proof" if you decide down the line to get a 5er or motorhome.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought mine from https://alansfactoryoutlet.com

Mine is just a carport, no walls or door, just the frame and roof. Since I bought mine, two neighbors have come and inspected it and bought their own. One bought it with 3 walls for storing his jet skis. Another bought it with 3 walls and a roll up door for storing a tractor.

Mine has survived high winds and heavy snow without problem.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS