cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Bad Day mechanically

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
The Check Engine light came on in my 1997 Xplorer 230XL camper van. I got poor mpg. A local service guy read the code as oxygen sensor exhaust system. But they were too backed up, so I took it to my muffler shop that I've used for 30 years. They installed 2 new sensors, checked the rest of the exhaust system, the brakes and did a lube job. I paid for it and went to the RV and it would not start. No turning over, no clicks, nothing. The battery is good. The starter is 4 years old. It had been fine. They will check it today.

While waiting for a cab I went inside and found the fan-tastic roof vent fan seriously damaged. The inside frame pushed down and broken, the cover had several big cracks. It did open and run, but needs replaced. The manager said he would fix it so he knew they raised it too high on a lift and hit the ceiling. I had told them to watch out for that.

He had already ordered one on AMazon when I gave him the manual and installation instructions on this one. I told him I was worried about him doing this job as it required special caulk, etc. He will call Fan-tastic today. I am rv-less and was planning to leave tomorrow for a 800 mile round trip to PA for spring turkey hunting with my brother. I don't see that happening now.

I am more worried about the fan replacement than the RV not starting. I figure that is a simple connection, fuse or some other easy to fix problem once found.
11 REPLIES 11

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry you missed your trip and hope you get the issues sorted.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I got my RV back. It took a new starter which surprised me as the other was only 4 years old. Having problems with driver's window dropping out of track. I finally got that back in place but have not tried it enough nor put the door back together. I will stay with FF, but that may take a while to find a shop that can do it soon. I canceled my trip to PA. Dealing with all these issues I'm needing some confidence in taking a big trip, and I'm physically and mentally beat.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I always get synthetic oil, usually from Walmart
I used to get batteries from Costco. But the after getting bad batteries that need to tow the Motorhome 100 km.The most busy in our town took a whole year to do some maintenance for a year last year on a few things like. This year the owner took a trip or a hospital.
I think There is another member in our same little town. He is helped me with mechanics, he is a mechanic with buses, a very good one and very helpful to friends.
I hope he will help with my bad engine battery bought at Costco. Iโ€™m Harvey. Thanks for all your help in the past. I might have helped you with your computer before I got MS and lost half my memory.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
May not be able to install a MaxxAir since it attaches to the frame of the vent, and if the frame is pushed in as OP states the MaxxAir cover may not fit.

If the frame is bent (good chance of concealed damage as well) they wiull likely have to replace the entire assembly.. I'd replace with Maxx Air assembly.

Maxx air is designed so you can use it while it is raining.. FF has to be closed in the rain. even if hooded.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Quick fix for the check engine light: duct tape. Just tape it over the light and keep driving. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I bet those turkeys are going to be delicious.

LOL

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quick fix for the check engine light: duct tape. Just tape it over the light and keep driving. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I bet those turkeys are going to be delicious.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If nothing else, make sure he DOES NOT use a silicone product to seal it.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I've found. The replacement fan model number is 2250 and the best online price is $217. I'm trying to set up an appointment at an RV repair place I've used. They're already booked into June. I think I can drive with the old one maybe after taping the cracks. So I will wait to see if the RV shop wants to buy the vent and charge me a premium or if I should buy it and have them install it. That would be fine. I could try it but I'm 71 with cancer and a replaced hip.

The muffler shop guy said he has not had a chance to try to get the van started. If he fixes that I may still be able to go to PA tomorrow. But I am still doubtful.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
May not be able to install a MaxxAir since it attaches to the frame of the vent, and if the frame is pushed in as OP states the MaxxAir cover may not fit.

What you might be able to do is go to the home center and pick up some FlexSeal tape and tape the cracks in the cover closed so it doesn't leak and then deal with it when you get home.

So frustrating when you specifically tell someone to watch out for things like this and they happen anyway. If the shop can fix the start issue, tape up the vent, enjoy your trip and have the vent replaced later.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd go with maxx air over FF as well (I like the design better).

My car has a check engine light.. Thankfully I have a service policy so as the code indicates car can be driven it gets fixed Tuesday.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's really unfortunate. I'd put a Maxx Air over the broken fan, fix the starting issue , and go hunting.
Worry about the fan when you get back. Gobble gobble gobble.
Puma 30RKSS