Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cummins 6.7L Gasoline Engine in a Ram?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Cummins 6.7L Gasoline Engine in a Ram?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

LVTX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 05/02/22 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think this thing has to create as much horsepower as the naturally aspirated engines. Just look at the 3.5L Ecoboost in comparison to the big V8 offerings. When it came out, it only made 365 horsepower and even today it makes 375 hp yet it can out tow or keep up with the 400+ hp V8's especially at altitude. Heck, the 365 hp version was even very close to the 420 hp 6.2L in the GM in an unloaded 0-60 sprint at sea level in every test of these two engines.

So it wouldn't have to make as much peak horsepower as the V8's as long as it is making more low end torque(which means more low end horsepower) than the other V8's. With even moderate boost, I would wager that this engine could make 600 lb-ft at 2,500 rpm which equates to 285 hp at that rpm. Adversely the Ford 7.3L makes about 450 hp at 2,500 which equates to 215 hp at that rpm. That 60 hp difference at that low rpm is a huge deal especially when you are towing. Will it use more fuel at this rpm, of course, because it is making more power than the 7.3L and more power means more fuel used.

The other thing that people don't discuss when talking peak horsepower numbers is that those numbers are way out in the rpm range where it can only be used in the lower gears which limits the speed you have to be at to use that peak horsepower. Also, for most transmissions, if you are in that higher rpm range for peak horsepower in higher gears, then the torque converter is unlocked(since being locked would put the engine out of its rpm range) meaning you aren't sending all that peak horsepower to the wheels and most of that power is being converted to heat in the torque converter.

For a towing application, I would take more low end torque at an rpm where the horsepower is usable in more gears than 50-75 more horsepower above 5,000 rpm where the horsepower is only usable in lower gears.

* This post was edited 05/03/22 06:39am by ShinerBock *


2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock

LVTX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 05/06/22 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After doing some more reading about the "Hurricane" inline 6 Chrysler plans to replace it's V8's with, I firmly believe that this Cummins 6.7L gas version will replace the 6.4L. They are stating that these inline 6 Hurricane engines will replace both the 5.7L and 6.4L in the cars and half tons so it wouldn't be economical to make the 6.4L just for the HD trucks. They don't make enough HD trucks to warrant it being the only vehicle to have the engine. I guess we will have to wait and see.

TWIN TURBO MUSCLE CARS: WILL DODGE USE T........NE-SIX TO REPLACE SCAT PACKS & HELLCATS?

Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 05/06/22 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't count on the end of the Hemi in trucks just yet.

If you build a Grand Wagoneer online, the only option for the heavy duty towing package is the 6.4. If for some reason the Hurricane isn't duty rated for towing, the Hemi will need to soldier on.


2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/07/22 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel technology is superior. That is why Dodge is coming up with this idea to use different kinds of fuel. When EVs become popular and gas engines are fading, diesel engines will remain popular because of their versatility, long life and innovation.

SuperBus

Michigan

New Member

Joined: 09/25/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/08/22 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked on a Department of Energy project with Cummins a few years ago designing part of a high-pressure gasoline engine. I imagine the entire project is public now due to the fact it was funded by DoE. It was pretty amazing how much power and torque was generated by this relatively small engine, very comparable to the diesel version that was designed alongside it as part of the same project. I am sure this gas version of the venerable B series will be just as impressive.

I don't expect the cost savings to be realized in initial cost though - a lot of fancy stuff was going on with the DoE engines, and most components weren't as lightweighted as one might think. With the cylinder pressures being developed, a lot of stout parts and trick design was needed. The savings is realized in fuel efficiency and lower fuel prices. Duly noted a less sophisticated emissions system will definitely reduce the overall cost in the vehicle though.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/08/22 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think cummins see's the writing on the wall for the future of diesels in this market segment and the trend of more Hemi's replacing the cummins (My observation) so as a company they have to evolve.

Also I don't see Stellantis' designed 3.0 gas engine making it to the HD duty line up.

* This post was edited 05/08/22 12:08pm by FishOnOne *


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


ShinerBock

LVTX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 05/09/22 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I think cummins see's the writing on the wall for the future of diesels in this market segment and the trend of more Hemi's replacing the cummins (My observation) so as a company they have to evolve.

Also I don't see Stellantis' designed 3.0 gas engine making it to the HD duty line up.


I think the fact that there are more gas engines in the HD segment than there used to be is not limited to Rams. With today's more powerful gas engine options and more gears, I see a lot more gas engines in the HD segment of all brands than I used to to. Of course, most of these are the guys that really didn't need a diesel to tow what they do and only had diesels before due to the dismal performance of the older gas engines. If I only had to to tow 10k, then I would likely have gotten a gas HD over a diesel. With my trailer, diesel is the only way I will go.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/09/22 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I think cummins see's the writing on the wall for the future of diesels in this market segment and the trend of more Hemi's replacing the cummins (My observation) so as a company they have to evolve.

Also I don't see Stellantis' designed 3.0 gas engine making it to the HD duty line up.


I think the fact that there are more gas engines in the HD segment than there used to be is not limited to Rams. With today's more powerful gas engine options and more gears, I see a lot more gas engines in the HD segment of all brands than I used to to. Of course, most of these are the guys that really didn't need a diesel to tow what they do and only had diesels before due to the dismal performance of the older gas engines. If I only had to to tow 10k, then I would likely have gotten a gas HD over a diesel. With my trailer, diesel is the only way I will go.


If I could of made a living running 20,000 miles a year I would of parked a 427 GMC the day I retired. As for "My trailer is too heavy for gas" back in the early '70s I would haul a load every day where my GCVW was about 55 tons.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/09/22 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

As for "My trailer is too heavy for gas" back in the early '70s I would haul a load every day where my GCVW was about 55 tons.


They also moved a space shuttle with a Toyota Tundra. Doesn't mean you'd want to head off on a cross-country trip with it.

I'm guessing your 55 ton loads were relatively local, and if you hit 35MPH top speed you were really rolling.

Seriously though what were you driving? I am fascinated by the last of the big gasoline-powered haulers from the late 60's early 70's.

Any GMC Twin-Sixes?


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ShinerBock

LVTX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 05/09/22 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I think cummins see's the writing on the wall for the future of diesels in this market segment and the trend of more Hemi's replacing the cummins (My observation) so as a company they have to evolve.

Also I don't see Stellantis' designed 3.0 gas engine making it to the HD duty line up.


I think the fact that there are more gas engines in the HD segment than there used to be is not limited to Rams. With today's more powerful gas engine options and more gears, I see a lot more gas engines in the HD segment of all brands than I used to to. Of course, most of these are the guys that really didn't need a diesel to tow what they do and only had diesels before due to the dismal performance of the older gas engines. If I only had to to tow 10k, then I would likely have gotten a gas HD over a diesel. With my trailer, diesel is the only way I will go.


If I could of made a living running 20,000 miles a year I would of parked a 427 GMC the day I retired. As for "My trailer is too heavy for gas" back in the early '70s I would haul a load every day where my GCVW was about 55 tons.


Back in the day, I had the most powerful gas engine you could buy(plus mods) in a truck to tow my 8k lb trailer. Truck had a 4 speed and after one trip towing through the Texas hill country, I traded that truck in for my first diesel. I am not saying that the truck could not pull it, it just didn't do it to my preferences and expectations. Of course, everyone's preferences and expectations are different though.

So, don't get defensive about the "My trailer is too heavy for gas" (which is not what I said). I just said that diesel is the only way "I"(as in me, myself and I) would go with "my" trailer. Not saying a gas couldn't pull it, just that I wouldn't want to be driving any current gas engine HD to do it. If I had to pull it with a gas truck, then I would probably go with a Ford 7.3L unless this Cummins 6.7L gas engine comes out and it is turbocharged.

* This post was edited 05/09/22 09:45am by ShinerBock *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Cummins 6.7L Gasoline Engine in a Ram?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.