cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replaced "Kingdom", any value?

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
I sure am happy with automatic satellite aiming with new Winegard roof mount and am wondering if old equipment has any value. I have the controler panel and manual. It worked eight years ago but I never found out if it was for Dish or Direct.
bob b
12 REPLIES 12

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a older dead Wingard roof model. Gave it to a Ham Radio guy that had a few ideas about tracking the moon and bouncing signals or something.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
We are such hoarders! We don't need it, can begin to imagine what we would use it for but we can't get rid of it. Just look at all those storage facilities full of unused, unnecessary "stuff". You would be better served to drop it off at Goodwill and see if someone might be able to use it.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
bob b wrote:
Thanks to all who responded, I suspected there was no value. I like the shape of the dome itself so I'll disassemble it, toss the internal components and keep the half-round dome for some future use. I really need more junk cluttering my shop! Bob

Saucer sled? Captain America shield? Half of a UFO? Hail umbrella? The possibilities are endless.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

keefr
Explorer
Explorer
https://kingconnect.com/satellite-support

still in business.
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - George Carlin

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded, I suspected there was no value. I like the shape of the dome itself so I'll disassemble it, toss the internal components and keep the half-round dome for some future use. I really need more junk cluttering my shop! Bob
bob b

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I should also mention that once HD started (2006) OLDER domes(ALL brands) could really only receive SD programming. So, there were constant updates starting in 2006 to the few Domes that could possibly be updated. REAL PITA back then and expensive. Kingdome had a update box and we charged $100 for that. CW had a MINIMUM of $250 to connect a Laptop and attempt to reprogram KVH (premier even now Boat Sat in motion) to function. They would NOT guarantee that the patch fix would work. Add to this that both Dish and Direct were beaming off multiple Sats for both HD and SD and it was a real pain. People did not like the fact(me too) that you had to have a Dome that would Auto move between the various sats when changing channels. Then add to the fact that lots of RVer's had 2 receivers and if the Master receiver moved the Sat when changing channels the other receiver lost its channel. The BEST solution even now is the Winegard Travler system. NOT in motion but gives the best possible reception for multiple receivers. Both Dish and Direct. Doug

PS. I like the Winegard Carryout system for when you are parked where the roof top cannot beam in the SW horizon.

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
The freight would be more expensive than that thing is worth
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I threw my Kingdome off the roof years ago. Calling it a boat anchor is being generousโ€ฆ more like a POS.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
Kingdome?

22 years ago Kingdome was the premier In motion and Stationary Roof top Dome Sat's for motorhomes. But, the proprietary Dish and Direct download signals changed over the subsequent years and Kingdome was out of the business of roof top domes by the end of the 2000's. Kingdome attempted to keep up with software updates, but Winegard just out did them. If you have a Kingdome, it is basically a boat anchor. Doug

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two other issues:
- If it's older, are the connections/sensors still usable with current systems?
- I think people are moving toward internet based as cellular plans that have data limits capable of supporting online viewing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is one system listed on eBay for $350. I would guess that if it works, $200-$400 is a reasonable price. If you can't be sure whether or not it works, maybe closer to $100 is more realistic as a "parts" unit.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Kingdome?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman