first commercially available all electric RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

https://camperreport.com/fully-electric-rv/

About $79,000 usd.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
36 REPLIES 36

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I just went back to manufacturer site, and the solar capacity is stated as 1600-2000-or2400W
So I donโ€™t know where you get only 600W. Anyway I am not buying one and nor are you obviously.
It is clear that some on hear have not got much idea about new technology and the rest of the world.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Skibane wrote:

None of what you're describing comes anywhere close to meeting the definition of "indefinitely".

If there is no sunlight available, no amount of solar panel "upsizing" is going to help.

You are going to run out of power.

If you want to be pedantic.

Sure if you park for a month in deep heavy forest and never leave, it won't work.

If you want to actually use the RV during that time (i.e., cook meals, run the heater to keep warm, refrigerate your foods etc.) - You're going to run out of power in several days - not months.

But for non-pedantic potential buyers with more typical use patterns, it's very much viable.

So they've got that snob appeal thing going for them: "It's the RV for sophisticated, non-pedantic buyers..."

I'm always amused at the contortions people are willing to put themselves through to deny the impracticality of "green" RVs: "Oh yeah, they work just great - as long as you're willing to give up X, Y and Z..."

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Slownsy wrote:
I think that som of you need to read. It says power by 14k Battery and 1600-2000w of solar.

The base model on the website indicated 7k and 600w. How many thousands is the upgraded system over the $79k starting price?

Yes, electric only systems are viable but this model seems overpriced for what it is.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Skibane wrote:

None of what you're describing comes anywhere close to meeting the definition of "indefinitely".

If there is no sunlight available, no amount of solar panel "upsizing" is going to help.

If you want to be pedantic.

Sure if you park for a month in deep heavy forest and never leave, it won't work.

But for non-pedantic potential buyers with more typical use patterns, it's very much viable. Even in heavily shaded sites, if you start with 100% charge, you should be good for several days.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Skibane wrote:
So you get to sleep right on top of an air conditioner that's cycling on and off all night?
Compared to the roof shaker over the bed? How bad can it be?

OOPS! Posted in the wrong place! Sorry. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

dedmiston
Skibane wrote:
Slownsy wrote:
so are you saying that Americans park there vehicles with solar in the shade
In that regard, roof-mounted panels tend to be counterproductive: The power they produce by parking the RV in full sunlight is offset by the extra power required to keep the RV cool...due to the extra heat buildup from parking in full sunlight.

Thatโ€™s possibly the nuttiest thing Iโ€™ve ever read here.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slownsy wrote:
so are you saying that Americans park there vehicles with solar in the shade

The ones with portable solar panels do.

The panels go wherever the sunlight is, and the RV stays in the shade.

Shade greatly reduces heat buildup inside the RV - which in turn reduces the amount of power required to keep it comfortable.

In that regard, roof-mounted panels tend to be counterproductive: The power they produce by parking the RV in full sunlight is offset by the extra power required to keep the RV cool...due to the extra heat buildup from parking in full sunlight.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
As far as toilet goes most al places has som sort of toilet, or you have to be fully self contained, most of those places also has a time limits for staying, drinking water can be brought in by containers or water bladders if not wanting to shift trailer. Camping is only allowed in designated areas, but overnight can be done in roadside rest area's.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
1 yes possible. But solar panels also create shade for roof, so are you saying that Americans park there vehicles with solar in the shade, I donโ€™t think so, and I never did if wanting to charge batteries.
2 yes manny people park in the shade, but most donโ€™t have much in the way of solar and live outside there trailer only used as a bedroom.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slownsy wrote:
And lastly hear in OZ we do get a lot of sunshine.

In OZ, do RVs not stay cooler when they're parked in shade than in sunshine?

Do not most RVers in OZ prefer to park in the shade, for this reason?

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I think that som of you need to read. It says power by 14k Battery and 1600-2000w of solar. I have a Glendale Titanium hear in Australia. It has been partly converted to Australian 240V supply true a step down converter. Fridge is a 240V household Mitsubishi inverter type, as is TV and washing machine running of a 375W inverter 24Hours a day. Rest is 120V. Also has a 3000W 120V inverter for microwave etc. batteries are 300A lithium. Power use about 100A in a 24 hour period. Solar is 600W. This normally is adequate to recharge batteries if not I have a Honda 2.2 generator that charges via my 125A charger. Many hear instal reversible 2500W inverter air conditioner in there FW and report better cooling and less power drain. And lastly hear in OZ we do get a lot of sunshine.
I am not running out to get on but do realise this is Australian and you donโ€™t get much van for under $100000.
Have a good day Frank..
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what this trailer manufacturer says about their exterior construction (insulation). Also, the floor plans have no slides (air leaks).

RXP construction
No R values are reported.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
According to the website, the base model is 7kwh (7000w-hr) battery bank and 600w solar.

If you are doing long 6-8hr slow simmering meals, it could be a bit of a problem.

Assuming the stove uses 1500w for an hour on high (longer than it typically takes us to make most meals, that's pretty viable with a 7000w-hr battery bank. The 600w solar system should put back in around 2400w-hr per day.

Our 12v fridge pulls around 60w on a 50% duty cycle in comfortable conditions, so around 720w-hr per day.

It's when it gets hot or cold that battery power becomes problematic. An air/con pulling 1200w with a 50% duty cycle is going to pull 14,400w-hr per day. Assuming they are heating with a heat pump, expect similar consumption. So it would need a substantial upsizing to the battery bank and solar array to keep up or they need to undersize it but then the duty cycle goes up. If it's small and insulated far better than I expect, it might be possible but you will always have to be watching the batteries so you don't run them dead.

BCSnob wrote:
Information on the AC unit can be found at the link below.
Link to ac website

Interestingly, they don't list the cooling capacity in BTUs - Only in "watts of cooling power".

If you use the standard conversion factor of 1 watt being equal to 3.41 BTU/h, their larger "Comfort RC" model with "2400 watts of cooling power" produces 8200 BTUs - Which is around 60% of what a typical RV air conditioner produces.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Skibane wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Seems it would be better to have propane for cooking, hot water, and outdoor grill than electric. Just my thought anyway. I do wonder how long they can withstand rainy or cloudy days. Having propane would allow you to stretch the electric power farther. And personally I prefer parking in the shade, and solar pretty much won't allow you to do that. Parking in full sun in the midwest in the middle of summer would put the AC to the test. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you don't use the air/con or heat, probably indefinitely.

If you need air/con or heat, well, not so great.

What if you need to prepare meals?

The stove is an induction cooktop. That's an energy pig.

What if you need to keep your food from spoiling?

Compressor-driven refrigerators aren't exactly power-misers.

According to the website, the base model is 7kwh (7000w-hr) battery bank and 600w solar.

If you are doing long 6-8hr slow simmering meals, it could be a bit of a problem.

Assuming the stove uses 1500w for an hour on high (longer than it typically takes us to make most meals, that's pretty viable with a 7000w-hr battery bank. The 600w solar system should put back in around 2400w-hr per day.

Our 12v fridge pulls around 60w on a 50% duty cycle in comfortable conditions, so around 720w-hr per day.

It's when it gets hot or cold that battery power becomes problematic. An air/con pulling 1200w with a 50% duty cycle is going to pull 14,400w-hr per day. Assuming they are heating with a heat pump, expect similar consumption. So it would need a substantial upsizing to the battery bank and solar array to keep up or they need to undersize it but then the duty cycle goes up. If it's small and insulated far better than I expect, it might be possible but you will always have to be watching the batteries so you don't run them dead.

Run of the mill RV's are already going electric except the stove and furnace. Even a lot of them are coming standard with 12v fridges now.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'