Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: RV's and internet connections
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV's and internet connections

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/22 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

The problem as mentioned getting a plan that gives you enough data without throttling.
I have that, the old XXL Verizon plan. 28G a month, with carryover, and no throttling. Last I looked I had around 55G, which is pretty good for watching Breaking Bad and Japanese cats.

I'm not sure if there's an upper limit to what you can carry over.

If you are just watching a 1/2hr show once a week, 28GB is plenty.

If you have a long weekend that turns rainy and you decide to do a movie marathon with high resolution video, you can burn the 28G plus your 55G over a weekend.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/22 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using Calyx Institute for a couple of years... NO throttling.... It is truly unlimited.... I set up camp and can set all 3 TV's to the hotspot provided and watch unlimited TV while camping.. PROVIDED I HAVE A DECENT CELL 9 wifi ) SIGNAL... If our in th eboonies, all bets re off, normally, if you have a good phone signal, the hotspot will work.. It is part of T mobile/Sprint ..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/22 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If you have a long weekend that turns rainy and you decide to do a movie marathon with high resolution video, you can burn the 28G plus your 55G over a weekend.
Yeah, I have to watch it closely. 3 or 4 gig a day is not hard to do.

I love my all-you-can-eat Xfinity at home, watching 8K aerial tours of tropical islands. Amazing.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/22 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For most users a phone as a hotspot will work just fine. Data is data so whatever you are streaming will use the same amount on a phone or dedicated hotspot. The advantage to using the phone is that you won't have to pay for another device or line. The disadvantage to a phone's hotspot is that it will kill a battery quick and the number of devices that can connect is less than on a dedicated hot spot. The advantages to a dedicated hot spot is the ability to connect stronger antennas, many more devices and battery usage is much better. I work remote and need to stay connected when travelling. Sometimes a signal booster with an antenna on a dedicated hot spot will get a signal when the phone can't. The downside, it's another line and device to buy/maintain. In either case, you probably want an unlimited data plan. And read the fine print, unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited. A lot of plans throttle your bandwidth after you churn through a certain amount.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/22 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Verizon service that does have unlimited 4G/5G mobile data/voice/text is Visible.com which you can get for $25. month by joining a party pay group - anyone can and easy to do. However, there are some limitations. You can only have one hotspot device connected at a time, and limited to a consistent 5Mbps speeds. Good enough to stream on all major services.

If you wirelessly stream to your smart TV directly from your smartphone, then you may be able to access higher data rates. However, you have to check whether it works with your particular streaming service.

Best part is that Visible includes unlimited high speed mobile data, with some users reporting using close to 1TB per month without throttling.

[image]

From Visible just now with an IPhone 4G smartphone. Personally, I'd take this result with a grain of salt. More likely half this speed with real world data transfers. Especially, for streaming media.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/22 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watching TV is now the new Camping. Who wouldda thought?

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/22 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Not everyone is 40 years old and full of excess energy.

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/22 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take note, jdc1, not everyone is 70 and full of excess energy.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/22 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Amazing. I hear these new-fangled campers have kitchens in them too!

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/22 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We watch very little TV while camping, actually watch very little at home.

Use OTA for local news and weather. For rainy weather or if we have grandkids I do download content beforehand. Netflix, Disney, Amazon all allow you to download content. I have a Chromecast device on the TV that I can cast the content to. I do have to have Internet for this to work, but it uses VERY LITTLE bandwidth as the content is already downloaded and it gets pushed via local wifi to the Chromecast. I use my phone as a hotspot.

Now if my phone gets no service then so much for that. Most campground wifi is pretty much useless.

Ridgeway, SC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV's and internet connections
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.