cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Popping Sound

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
We were sitting on our motor home and heard a popping sound. Cannot seem to find anything and I checked all appliances, slide outs, frig etc. Could it be a fused that popped? New to this unit so not sure what it could beโ€ฆ.if it was a fuse how would I know and how do you check them? Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my water heater lit it would pop. Sounded like someone tapped the wall. Blow out those fuel lines going to heaters etc. spiders like to make webs inside and it restricts fuel flow. There is an opening just before where the flame lights.
While you are at it remove the cover for your refrigerator back on the outside of the rig and inspect for dust leaves etc. If you have compressed air blow up the rear of your fridge, watch the dust etc come out of the roof vent. Your fridge will thanks you for it.
Compressed air is a great way to maintain your rig. I always go nose to tail blowing dirt and debris out of everywhere. Blow on those seat cushions and above the window coverings. nice.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Be careful. My sister and BIL were traveling when they heard a pop. Kept going, heard it again. They were traveling in cold weather and the furnace was on. The pop that made them stop was much louder and scarier. Turned out they had a faulty valve on their LP tank and when the furnace would try to light, it would pop. . . a little mini explosion at the tank. They had it checked out and the RV mechanic insisted they needed an entire tank, etc. They convinced my sister and BIL that these on board tanks had to be replaced every 10 years. Rubbish, I know, but they did. They rented a car and finished their trip and picked up the repaired RV on the way home. The upside is that it was fixed and still working properly.

If you have a handheld gas detector, I would check around ALL your gas lines, etc. I have one that is a wand.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loud pop outside or a lesser interior clicking ?

Loud pop outside . Could it be coming from the water heater ?
If so, drain it, flush out sediment using a water heater wand.

Battery Isolation Manager :
A lesser popping sound could be a solenoid clicking somewhere inside the coach.

I assume FR still uses a BIM which is located under a panel next to the entrance steps.
I believe that BIM solenoid is part of the emergency start system that relays the coach battery to the chassis battery when needed fir emergency starts when the chassis battery has become depleted. The solenoid also allows the converter or solar charging system to keep both coach and chassis batteries charged. It alternates current between the two batteries.

I had to install a new BIM in my 2018 FR at 2 yrs old. It just unscrews and unplugs to change one. I carried a spare with me bc my mechanic suggested to do that. My system was clicking and not charging so i just did a swap guessing this was the problem. In my case, it was.

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
No leveling Jacks.....I guess I can just wait and see what does not work. Tried the slide out, frog is good, lights all work, but some items we don't use this trip such as awning.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have hydraulic leveling jacks deployed? Sometimes they settle a bit with a pop now and then.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River and literally just sitting at tableโ€ฆtwo years old

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Card,

Fuses usually only "POP" once.
What kind of Motorhome and how new?
Other than sitting, what were you doing?

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.