cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida experts - driving to Topsail

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be driving to Topsail SP in a couple weeks from the west.
Pulling a 36ft 5th wheel with a dually.

Google Maps says to exit I-10 on hwy 85 toward Niceville, then 293 down to 98 and left over to Topsail. Seems like that sends us through a (usually?) congested area.

Would it be better to stay on 10 to hwy 331, down to 98, then right to Topsail? Or is that just as congested?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually
5 REPLIES 5

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:
I would take the Google route, it is shorter mileage-wise but will probably take you longer. We like checking the local scenery on the way into the CG. I'm from NY, I don't mind towing the RV in heavy traffic or on narrow streets LOL. If you want the path of least resistance, go the other way.

98 in and east of Destin has been under construction for at least the last 4 years. The traffic is awful - we don't go there to shop unless we absolutely have to!. Far better to go the other way and still good scenery.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would take the Google route, it is shorter mileage-wise but will probably take you longer. We like checking the local scenery on the way into the CG. I'm from NY, I don't mind towing the RV in heavy traffic or on narrow streets LOL. If you want the path of least resistance, go the other way.

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Martyn wrote:
stay as far away as you can from Destin and Niceville.

That's what I was thinking too!!

Thanks so much guys!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
texasjayco wrote:

Would it be better to stay on 10 to hwy 331, down to 98, then right to Topsail? Or is that just as congested?

I would go this way - stay as far away as you can from Destin and Niceville. The bridge across 331 is free also, whereas the Mid Bay Bridge on 293 is a toll bridge.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
texasjayco wrote:
We'll be driving to Topsail SP in a couple weeks from the west.
Pulling a 36ft 5th wheel with a dually.

Google Maps says to exit I-10 on hwy 85 toward Niceville, then 293 down to 98 and left over to Topsail. Seems like that sends us through a (usually?) congested area.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Mark

it's been a few years but we stay at Live Oak Landing RV just south of Freeport, FL. to get there we take I-10 then south on 331. As I recall 331 is 4-lane from I-10 all the way to 98. We drove thru Topsail a few times on our last trip and I don't recall 331 being terribly congested but 98 was a character builder. We've never been the other way so can't give you a comparison.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle