cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modify top bunk

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Open Range 26bh. It has Double bed bunks. We do not need the upper bunk. I was thinking about removing the front half of the bunk and using the back half as storage. Possibly putting up some plastic drawers for clothes and other items that will not be used all the time. We also have inflatable paddleboard/kayaks as well. Anybody do anything similar?
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150
6 REPLIES 6

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the upper bunk in my Wolf Pup BHS16. It was a PITA getting the screws out. Had to remove the luan top to access them and remove and reroute the wires to my thermostat. It was just a 2x2 frame with several cross braces. Youโ€™d have to rebuild that frame to make it a shelf. I installed a wood clothes rod up near the ceiling from the back wall to the cabinet above my dinette.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
In our TT the access to the bunks is on a corner of the bunks. Not much room. To put storage on the top bunk we would have to climb onto the bunk. If I remove half of the bunk, I will have a lot more access to that area. An added bonus is it would make it easier to get to the hot water heater hoses and valves which are under the lower bunk against the rear of the trailer.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Do you want to carry tall items? I would not modify the bunk itself except removing the mattresses. Put whatever shelves/bins you want there.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
FIL recently got a little 18' TT to use during the summer months - his big 5'ver stays in storage down @ Lake Havasu. The one he found was a bunk bed model... and he's discovered that after years and years in first a big class A motorhome, and later the big 5th wheel, he's gotten spoiled by not having to watch his head ๐Ÿ˜‰

We've been discussing possible mods along similar lines - removing the top bunk entirely, making the top bunk height adjustable, etc. I'd be interested to hear what others might have come up with.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why remove any part of the bunk? We use our bunks mostly for storage.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With sufficient support an RVer can cut out anything IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad